October in the Mid-West:The World Series & Fanclub Tour!

October in the Mid-West:The World Series & Fanclub Tour!

Postby karen chicago on Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:25 am

It's October in the Mid-West a doubleheader: The World Series and a Fanclub 2016 Tour!
Hello all ... last week the middle section of America had been making some historical baseball records. October 19th Cleveland Indians clinch the American League Pennant same day Teenage Fanclub arrived in Cleveland. October 21st they performed in Chicago and the next day Chicago Cubs clinch the National League Pennant first time since 1945. I'm not saying there was some coincidence or supervention....let say as a fan of both it's been quite exciting. We are now in the World Series!
I love a Fanclub tour in Autumn I think they do too. For me the excitement started with the beginning of the tour out East even though I did not attend any of the shows. Thank you social media! 11 shows in 14 days - between twitter, instagram & facebook I caught images and posts while they were in each city. I loved the Washington DC tweets by Norman while touring the Lincoln Memorial, the George Washington Memorial and US Capitol. It looked like a beautiful blue sky day.

Francis's blog kept us updated with the Toronto & Washington DC shows and road delicacies.

The boarders here gave me wonderful pics, setlists and their enhuberant posts of the New York, Brooklyn, Philadelphia, Boston and Cleveland shows.

In Chicago they played at the Bottom Lounge. The Old Bottom Lounge was originally located in Lakeview next to the Red Line Belmont stop. Forced to close in 2005 by the CTA to make way for a platform expansion, Bottom Lounge was reopened in 2008 in it’s current location. Capacity 700 and it was Sold Out!
I love these venues that have a restaurant included, it is a great chance to meet up with friends to have a bite and beverage prior to the show. Georgia and I arrived early and we met up with Kinky Wizard from Edinburgh & JWhipp from Los Angeles. It was a lovely to talk and meet them . We still had time in front of the stage to meet up with Holly, Didi, Jim Hammons and Celeste from Philadelphia prior to the support band Sam Evian.

At the merch table they had numerous cd's & vinyl records of the last three LP's . For T-shirts the dark green backward/forward lettering and a teal HERE. There were a few free posters promoting the show with a pic of the Helmsdale cliff photo shoot. After the show I did have a chance to have each sign it.

Happiness is the first few chords of Start Again and this evening 19 songs with four songs from Here. Hold On, Thin Air, The Darkest Part of the Night and I'm in Love worked wonderfully in the set.
The audience was very enthusiastic and many sang along loudly. Smiles everywhere. Afterwards Bottom Lounge stayed open late enough for the fans and band to converse and have some drinks. They sure were troopers staying around late into the night knowing they pulled into Chicago from Cleveland just a few hours prior to the show and immediately will have to leave early Saturday to make it to Minneapolis 400 miles away.

My Husband and I went to Madison Wisconsin on Saturday for a nice get-out-of-the city weekend. Madison is the State Capital of Wisconsin and University of Wisconsin. It is a very beautiful city with lakes, bike paths and great neighborhoods. It is highly regarded as a food paradise with one of the best farmer's markets showcasing locally produced cheeses and produce.
Madison with fewer than 300,000 people--has one of the strongest local foods scenes in the country
With so much farmland surrounding the city, almost every restaurant you walk into proudly displays a long list of the local farmers and purveyors they work with. Not to mention the local craft beer scene.

Sunday we went to a town called Mineral Point. Beginning in the 1830's Cornish immigrants began to settle in Wisconsin. Throughout the formative years of Wisconsin, the Cornish were a major ethnic group in these areas, offering their expertise in industry, esp. mining, and agriculture. Much of the city is a historical district, including blocks of stone cottages and businesses crafted by the Cornish settlers in the 1800s.

HIgh Noon Saloon is a large rustic venue with wood floors and walls. A very cozy room and standing up front gave an intimate warm sounding show. Hold On was omitted and substituted with Only With You. The Man-Made songs sure brought back great memories of their last tour in this region.

The audience to me was more age diverse, I loved seeing many 20 yr.olds. A young lady with a YODA phone case called out Did I Say and she got her wish when they returned for the encore and acknowledged Nina's request. The evening was really special and having Georgia and Holly up front all the more fun.

They are extremely ingenious with breaking down the stage, packing up their instruments while conducting chit chat with fans. Sharpie in one hand and guitar cases in the other. At this time Norman introduced me to soundman David Henderson whom I remember talking to afterwards from their 2005 Chicago show. We all met at a small jukebox late hour corner tavern called Marie's Rip-Tide Lounge a favorite place by them while recording Man-Made. Unfortunately the tavern closed in 2013. [url]http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20130831/bucktown/maries-rip-tide-lounge-going-out-with-bang-bucktown[/url

For a Sunday night High Noon Saloon closed early. Most made it to a low-key pub called Natt Spil. The support band Sam Evian had a chance to chat with the guys while enjoying the local brew and live hip-hop dj. While standing out front for some air with a small group including Norman a young lady and her husband thanked Norman for their songs. They hugged and told Norman it was their music that brought them together 9 years ago.

Thank you for letting me indulge with this lengthy account of the Chicago - Madison weekend. I loved seeing the tweets and instagrams of the hearty Breakfasts they found in rural Wisconsin. Most breakfast at Diners include a minimum of 4 eggs to an omelette and unlimited cups of coffee for one price. Even Norman mentioned during the Madison show that in the morning they stopped at a truck stop diner and he said they must have had 50 eggs among them. He would not be exaggerating.

I smiled when Francis and David posted pictures of their lunch stop in Chicago on Monday while on their way to Michigan. They made a visit to the neighborhood where Man-Made was recorded and they found one of the original LaPasadita Taco stands still operating and the European bakery they visited back in 2004?? I hope the sweets and tacos brought back good memories. I did tell them the night before the neighborhood has sure changed since they visited last time with the gentrification.

I would say they had an enjoyable tour with lovely weather and a great response by the concert attendees. "Here" is a superb Lp and I hope it will bring them back to Chicago sooner. I do see myself traveling in the next couple years to a show somewhere. Thank You!
(I'm not selling out my imagination, I'm a citizen of the human nation)
karen chicago
chipolata
chipolata

Re: October in the Mid-West:The World Series & Fanclub Tour!

Postby sandy on Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:21 am

Karen Chicago , that's the best piece ive ever read on the message board , im going to make myself an omelette !!!!!! X
sandy
chipolata
chipolata

Postby bluflower on Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:39 am

a lovely read, Karen!

I haven't been still long enough to put my thoughts together of the whirlwind of DC-NY-Philly, but hope to soon.
without music, I'd be dead.

http://www.facebook.com/spincycleshow/
Spin Cycle on the air at WERA, wera.fm every Tuesday 10am-Noon EST
bluflower
hot dog
hot dog

Postby karen chicago on Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:59 am

Thank You Sandy and Lauree, If I waited too long details would slip away. Also... I needed a distraction from the Cubs games this weekend. Lauree
I haven't been still long enough to put my thoughts together of the whirlwind of DC-NY-Philly, but hope to soon.

I look forward to your thoughts and reviews of the East-Coast shows. I've been enjoying your pics of the Jersey shore this weekend - I hope your Dad is getting better.
(I'm not selling out my imagination, I'm a citizen of the human nation)
karen chicago
chipolata
chipolata

Postby bluflower on Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:37 pm

karen chicago wrote:Thank You Sandy and Lauree, If I waited too long details would slip away. Also... I needed a distraction from the Cubs games this weekend. Lauree

I look forward to your thoughts and reviews of the East-Coast shows. I've been enjoying your pics of the Jersey shore this weekend - I hope your Dad is getting better.

Thanks Karen, he's slowly getting better, but it's very very slow. This past weekend was challenging and I never know what to expect when I see him. Saturday he was paranoid and upset that I was there because "they" were going to kill me too but on Sunday he was calm and asked me to hold his hand while he took a short nap. I think it helps him calm down because if I hold his hand the tremor in his arm is lessened. (We're about 95% sure he has Parkinson's Disease.) Visits to the beach and walking along the water help clear my head and calm me.

At any rate, doing my best here to balance everything and very much looking forward to spending a few days in Glasgow in just 4 weeks time.

give big hugs to the ones you love, all, our time together isn't always as long as we'd like it to be.
without music, I'd be dead.

http://www.facebook.com/spincycleshow/
Spin Cycle on the air at WERA, wera.fm every Tuesday 10am-Noon EST
bluflower
hot dog
hot dog

Postby clubFan on Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:27 am

Great post, Karen Chicago.
Congrats on the Cubs shaking off "the curse"!
It's all about the banter.
clubFan
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Georgia on Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:21 pm

Wonderful post Karen. :D Captures the pure happiness of a TFC occasion and get together with friends and fellow fans - a fair number of young ones too. It's good to see a second generation of people appreciating them.
Ain't lost yet, so I gotta be a winner
Georgia
mortadella
mortadella

Return to Message Board