***Edwyn Collins and Teenage Fanclub at Trongate/Mono***

Re: ***Edwyn Collins and Teenage Fanclub at Trongate/Mono***

Postby Uncle Mort on Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:08 pm

neiljungfan wrote:
El Macca wrote:Finally ...

Ah, well better late than never.

For a couple of very good personal and domestic reasons I shouldn't have been there on Thursday night ... but there's no way in a million years I would have missed it, and I'm just pleased and privileged to have been there.

Thanks are due to Edwyn and the band for giving everyone present a night they'll never forget. I've seen Edwyn many times over the years, and on a couple of occasions since he started doing live shows again - but he's never seemed more relaxed and looking like he was enjoying himself as he did on Thursday - he was on great form.

Thanks also to Norman for extending the invitation - he gets a lot of very unfair criticism at times on here - I think he does a great job running the messageboard amongst everything else that he's involved in and it's a great point of contact and resource for fans from all over, we're in you debt Mr Blake.

I remember buying those early Orange Juice Postcard singles as soon as they came out many years ago - and getting " You Can't Hide Your Love Forever " on the day of it's release - and just playing them constantly. Orange Juice really were a breakthough compared to some of the crap that was about then ... and hailing from Scotland just made them seem even more special.

So to hear my favourite band performing those same songs was like a dream - there were tears in my eyes during Falling and Laughing and Blue Boy, it was like things had come full circle, it must have been amazing for the boys to be up on stage playing with a fellow artist who must have been a huge influence on them when they were just starting out playing and writing songs at first - I can still picture Norman singing " I wore my fringe like Roger McGuinn " with a big smile on his face.

In fact, a lot of smiles were exchanged by the band during the set. Gerry was just beaming, Ray was great at looking after Edwyn - and Francis stood clapping and smiling for what seemed like ages at the end of the set ( as we all did )

coldnose and justerini made some very good points, we are very lucky to have all of this on our doorstep here in Glasgow - I don't take it for granted at all. Nights like this where I get to share great music, and music that I love, with people I've come to know as friends and who love that same music like I do, just make life well worth the living ... honestly - they're that special.

Following up TT's point a wee collabaration release would just be the icing on the cake - sincerely hope it happens.

Thanks also to Geo / Jim / Miffy / meatpod and others for sharing tunes and pictures, great work, and much appreciated, for bringing even a flavour of what it felt like to be there, by one and all I'm sure - I would really love to hear that soundboard recording.

Lastly .... my apologies to Remy for blabbing about our conversation in the loos where he recognised me - but it was really funny - and to be honest given the location I'm rather glad you didn't use the word " ' Ard " !

Anyways - please excuse the stream of thought rambling above - Geo said he was still buzzin' a couple of hours after it - I'm still talking about it to anyone who'll listen to me 4 days later.

My English isn't very good. am I wrong if I say this is one of the most moving post in the board all over these years?

i think your english is fine. it's a great post.
Uncle Mort
andouillette
andouillette

Postby El Macca on Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:03 pm

Thank you very much for your kind words and compliments on my post.

It was a very special night indeed.
... it's no easy.
El Macca
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby MATT on Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:26 pm

Just back from holiday and been watching thse videos. Looks like a special night noone who was there will forget.
Ready with ready wit.
MATT
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Big Bazza on Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:56 am

“Do as I say, not as I do” – The Hypocritic Oath © N Blake 2009
Big Bazza
mortadella
mortadella

Postby Bumpy Dog on Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:08 pm

I'm bumping this mother fuckin' thread for Macca's post.
Bumpy Dog
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Big Bazza on Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:11 am

Well done, Bumpy. Great to read that thread again. I can't believe it's seven years ago.
“Do as I say, not as I do” – The Hypocritic Oath © N Blake 2009
Big Bazza
mortadella
mortadella

Postby Rosario FC on Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:00 pm

Big Bazza wrote:Well done, Bumpy. Great to read that thread again. I can't believe it's seven years ago.

The band have released two....TWO! albums since that night! :o
absolute belters they cunts
Rosario FC
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby El Macca on Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:04 pm

Bumpy Dog wrote:I'm bumping this mother fuckin' thread for Macca's post.

Aw Cheers Rab that's awfy nice of you, and Mort and Mariano too ( neiljungfan ) :) :wink: ....

Gawd I can go on a bit eh ... It was an extra special night though - I still get lots of grief about sneaking out half way through a very special birthday party for one of the girls being held in our house, on the very same night at the same time !

I stayed for a while constantly clock watching - I went out to get drinks - and never came back - drove the car at breakneck speed into Glasgow, abandoned it near Mono somewhere... and ran in it to get there just before the gig kicked off - so glad I did, still wouldn't have missed it for the world - Magical stuff !

( think mariaono is coming over for the Barras gig - so I'm sure he will have a great Glasgow night there 8)
... it's no easy.
El Macca
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Rosario FC on Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:36 pm

El Macca wrote: ( think mariaono is coming over for the Barras gig - so I'm sure he will have a great Glasgow night there 8)

theres a provisional agreement in place with Mono to put something on maybe pre & post barras gig 8)

suggestions on a postcard please..........
Rosario FC
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby neiljungfan on Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:47 am

Rosario FC wrote:
El Macca wrote: ( think mariaono is coming over for the Barras gig - so I'm sure he will have a great Glasgow night there 8)

theres a provisional agreement in place with Mono to put something on maybe pre & post barras gig 8)

Since I‘m not flying to Glasgow every fortnight I want a pre and post boarders meeting, Mono the perfect place 8)

Looking forward to seeing you, listening to the band and reading Macca’s review after the concert :wink:

Saludos,
Mariano
Live music is better
neiljungfan
chipolata
chipolata

Postby musicmurray on Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:55 pm

Rosario FC wrote:

Fanclub's Fanclub DJ's

;-)
so you get older every year
but you don't change
or i don't notice you changing
musicmurray
hot dog
hot dog

Postby El Macca on Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:53 pm

Rosario FC wrote:

Pre gig - stripped down Acoustic set / Après - " Prince style " wild and crazy set with cameos from Glasgow Indie chums........................... free drinks in Mono wouldnae go amiss either :wink:

I'm sure it'll be just grand whatever ends up happening.
... it's no easy.
El Macca
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Rosario FC on Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:13 pm

musicmurray wrote:
Rosario FC wrote:

Fanclub's Fanclub DJ's

;-)

name names muzza!
Rosario FC
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Rosario FC on Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:18 pm

El Macca wrote:
Rosario FC wrote:

Pre gig - stripped down Acoustic set / Après - " Prince style " wild and crazy set with cameos from Glasgow Indie chums........................... free drinks in Mono wouldnae go amiss either :wink:

Consider it done :wink:
Rosario FC
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Alice on Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:54 pm

Ok, so...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4636

I see we're talking about the same thing :)
Alice
andouillette
andouillette

PreviousNext

Return to Message Board