Square Eyes ...

Re: Square Eyes ...

Postby Ruthiepoos on Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:11 am

Devotchik wrote:
Ruthiepoos wrote:
Devotchik wrote:(He was also very 'ooer nudge nudge saynomore' as Bond creator Ian Fleming in the Netflix series 'Fleming: The Man Who Would Be Bond')

Never seen that, any good then?

He gets the girls and does the odd bit of spying.. and looks hot in uniform :mrgreen:

You might not like it :lol:

Sounds like I'd hate it! :lol:
I LOVE my TFC umbrella! :-)
Ruthiepoos
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Ruthiepoos on Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:14 am

Devotchik wrote:
Devotchik wrote:
He's on the West End stage in the Restoration play 'The Libertine'.. as Lauryn's studying Drama at university I might suggest it to her and 'volunteer' to go with her.. :wink:

It worked.. two tickets booked lol <- :mrgreen:

Excellent! Have fun!
Ruthiepoos
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby davieboywonder on Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:15 pm

Ruthiepoos wrote:You were at the Islington gig?

Yeah, was fairly near the front downstairs on the right-hand side. Took two friends who had never seen TFC before.

Ruthiepoos wrote:Did you see the Hanging Stars?

yeah, enjoyed them - some interesting 'poncho action' visually, but sounded good. Very late '60s with a smattering of La's (oh, hang on, The La's... late '60s sound... surely not? :-)). I started thinking about when I saw The La's twice in 3 days in 1990. Brilliant stuff.

Sorry to hear your job and health have not been good, but good to hear it is not stopping you getting out to the important gigs :-). I did have a look round to see if you were down near the front.

Ruthiepoos wrote:I'll be going to the Electric Ballroom with the boyfriend who I'm sure you've met before at other gigs, it'd be great to meet up. Devotchik and Julie are going too I believe.

Yeah, would be good to meet up. Ah yes, I met Devotchik and Julie (sounds like a TV detective team ;-)) at the Borderline when Jonny played there a few years ago.
davieboywonder
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Ruthiepoos on Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:37 pm

davieboywonder wrote:
Ruthiepoos wrote:You were at the Islington gig?

Yeah, was fairly near the front downstairs on the right-hand side. Took two friends who had never seen TFC before.

Ruthiepoos wrote:Did you see the Hanging Stars?

yeah, enjoyed them - some interesting 'poncho action' visually, but sounded good. Very late '60s with a smattering of La's (oh, hang on, The La's... late '60s sound... surely not? :-)). I started thinking about when I saw The La's twice in 3 days in 1990. Brilliant stuff.

I think they're great, their album's brill. I'm a big fan of ponchos and pedal steel guitar :-)

davieboywonder wrote:Sorry to hear your job and health have not been good, but good to hear it is not stopping you getting out to the important gigs :-). I did have a look round to see if you were down near the front.

It's getting harder. I really welcomed the seats at Islington even if that meant having to use the stairs. I did not get out of the Manchester or the Rough Trade instore gigs unscathed, I was in so much pain it really did make me wonder how long I can keep doing this for. I had about a ten year gig break before when I first did my knee in and was utterly miserable, so I really want to carry on if possible. But I'm beginning to think that at some point I'll have to stop, which'll be a bit shit.

davieboywonder wrote:
Ruthiepoos wrote:I'll be going to the Electric Ballroom with the boyfriend who I'm sure you've met before at other gigs, it'd be great to meet up. Devotchik and Julie are going too I believe.

Yeah, would be good to meet up. Ah yes, I met Devotchik and Julie (sounds like a TV detective team ;-)) at the Borderline when Jonny played there a few years ago.

Cool! Devotchik and Julie will be solving crimes at the gig so be on your best behaviour now!
Ruthiepoos
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Devotchik on Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:10 pm

Ruthiepoos wrote:
davieboywonder wrote:

Cool! Devotchik and Julie will be solving crimes at the gig so be on your best behaviour now!

Julie's Been Working for the Drug Squad.. and me, well I'm in a rock n roll band.. (sorry couldn't resist a Velvets lyric) :mrgreen:
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Ruthiepoos on Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:16 am

Devotchik wrote:
Ruthiepoos wrote:
davieboywonder wrote:

Julie's Been Working for the Drug Squad.. and me, well I'm in a rock n roll band.. (sorry couldn't resist a Velvets lyric) :mrgreen:

Haha! I'll have both of those songs in my head while I try and sleep tonight :-)
Ruthiepoos
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Ruthiepoos on Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:23 pm

Method Man in Luke Cage! It was a nice moment.
Ruthiepoos
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Devotchik on Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:47 pm

Ruthiepoos wrote:
Devotchik wrote:
Devotchik wrote:
He's on the West End stage in the Restoration play 'The Libertine'.. as Lauryn's studying Drama at university I might suggest it to her and 'volunteer' to go with her.. :wink:

It worked.. two tickets booked lol <- :mrgreen:

Excellent! Have fun!

Gosh it was fun! Better than the film? Dunno. Can't really compare the two. Depp and Cooper play it their own ways. Laughable moments, good comedy.. clearly a few of the women were there to lust over Dominic but once you forgot it was him and really got in to the action it was great! We also somehow got a ticket upgrade and my daughter was very thankful for this because she got to see closer to the action for her studies and both our enjoyment of the play, cast and the set design.

His character - who at the beginning in his prologue speech - asks the audience not to like his character because he gets up to all sorts of bad behaviour.
So at the end Dominic's character dies -no surprise - after living the life he did (and as a moral device to the story the character has to die to disuade anyone from following the same path innit) then reappears asking the characters if they like him then turns to the audience solemnly to ask them if they like him now to which one gasping lady in the stalls replies on cue a breathy 'yes!' to which everyone laughed at including Dominic.

Fun night.. ☺
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Philip624 on Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:45 pm

Good to hear Broken playing in the background on bbc4 just now on a programme about the Clyde Puffer
Philip624
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Philip624 on Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:45 pm

Good to hear Broken playing in the background on bbc4 just now on a programme about the Clyde Puffer
Philip624
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Richard67 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:55 am

Adored this. Equal parts wonderful, bizarre and surreal 8) 8) 8) Fantastic!
Richard67
andouillette
andouillette

Postby Ruthiepoos on Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:41 pm

Richard67 wrote:

Oh yes. I caned this. Might watch it again as I think I rushed it. Loved it.
Ruthiepoos
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Richard67 on Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:55 pm

Ruthiepoos wrote:
Richard67 wrote:

Oh yes. I caned this. Might watch it again as I think I rushed it. Loved it.

Anything Brit Marling is involved with is always worth a look 8)

I'm definitely going back for another viewing; so many questions still need answering in my mind :shock: The Riz Ahmed FBI agent/councillor seems like a key character and I'm still going with the theory he planted to books in OA's house! They were all in pristine/brand new condition; plus, what was he doing in there anyway :?:
Richard67
andouillette
andouillette

Postby Kowaldoc on Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:40 pm

Thought the OA was gash .. first 2 or 3 were ok and it looked promising! Then went into a dragged out borefest
They could have made it into a 2 1/2 hour long film

Still loving "The Vikings" best show on tv over the last 4 years bar none

Honorable mentions to Westworld and anticipating the return of Saul Goodman
Kowaldoc
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Richard67 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:36 am

Kowaldoc wrote:Thought the OA was gash .. first 2 or 3 were ok and it looked promising! Then went into a dragged out borefest
They could have made it into a 2 1/2 hour long film

Still loving "The Vikings" best show on tv over the last 4 years bar none

Honorable mentions to Westworld and anticipating the return of Saul Goodman

If you're looking for a dragged-out borefest then look no further than Westworld :!: Bloody hell, talk about going round the houses :roll:
Richard67
andouillette
andouillette

PreviousNext

Return to Message Board