"What's what?"
"No. Who's who. But you were close"
pinball
"tom is a sex god" - Beyonce Knowles

Re: Recommend a book...

Postby WarmJets on Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:02 pm

Devotchik wrote:
Hi Cody, am good! Maybe a bit too good lol I'm currently reading a weight loss book by Allen Carr (my dads had some heart problems recently and I stopped smoking a couple years ago when I started recovery from my depression, put on weight then it continued to shoot through the roof as I subtituted unhealthy food for unhealthy cigarettes and got very heavy :lol: ) I'm off work for the summer holidays so can relax from academia for a bit and read my own thing.. some practical photography method books I've been flicking through too..

Sounds like you have some heavy reading there.. remind me, are you studying/ teaching? Might get myself a Stanley Elkin book - any suggestions?

D Image

There is more of me to love as well :) Hey, shit, we all get old and usually expand our 'horizons' (except Fanclub--how do the guys stay so thin? Gerry is always in danger of being crushed by his own bass). This reading is always just for myself. Work reading is far more serious fare. I develop curricula at several univerities in the social sciences (nominally your 'ologies'), so that vacillates as far between as, say, Hegel and introductory level textbooks for sociology. Meh.

Elkin: that's a hard one. I haven't finished the project, so I can't say definitively. I do know that his last two books are universally derided by friends that I trust. His first three he was still finding his 'voice,' Thus, I would recommend The Living End--it's short, sweet, and very emblematic of what he is regarded for.

I do urge you to look into Ducornet. Her Entering Fire and Netsuke were masterful. The Fan-Maker's Inquisition wonderfully embodied de Sade and the zeitgeist of Revolutionary France. A true prose alchemist. In theory I should hate her, but she wins me over time and again. I don't understand publisher's insisting on labelling everything as 'sensual' in her writing. Just because she acknowledges corporeality other than death (the obsession of the White Male Writer) does not an eroticist make. Lazy. Netsuke was the most complete indictment of a male's pathological addiction to woman as objects and receptacles I've ever read. Makes that terrible Bret Easton Ellis book look like child's fare. And all in 130-pages! Only a penny on Amazon...
It's all in my mind
It's all in my mind...
WarmJets
hot dog
hot dog

Postby WarmJets on Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:05 pm

pinball wrote:Beatlebone by Kevin Barry

some trip

This name rings a bell. I'll look it up in a bit. I remember some small fuss about it, no?
It's all in my mind
It's all in my mind...
WarmJets
hot dog
hot dog

Postby Devotchik on Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:04 am

WarmJets wrote:This reading is always just for myself. Work reading is far more serious fare. I develop curricula at several univerities in the social sciences (nominally your 'ologies'), so that vacillates as far between as, say, Hegel and introductory level textbooks for sociology. Meh.

Sounds interesting. When I went back to college after having my last child I enrolled on a Sociology course. Best thing I ever done. Modular college course: economics, history, sociology, psychology, social policy, and politics. Loved. Every. Minute. I got so much out of it, made me appreciate the world around me and my place in it. The background reading for that really helped my fine arts degree (post-structuralism and I did have a soft spot for epistemology.. :oops: Foucault's Order of Things 8) ), great stuff! My favourite Sociology academic book which I still suggest for our Nursing, Health & Social Care, Media & Culture students is THIS

WarmJets wrote:Elkin: that's a hard one. I haven't finished the project, so I can't say definitively. I do know that his last two books are universally derided by friends that I trust. His first three he was still finding his 'voice,' Thus, I would recommend The Living End--it's short, sweet, and very emblematic of what he is regarded for.

Cool. Thanks, will look in to that.. :)

WarmJets wrote:I do urge you to look into Ducornet. Her Entering Fire and Netsuke were masterful. The Fan-Maker's Inquisition wonderfully embodied de Sade and the zeitgeist of Revolutionary France. A true prose alchemist. In theory I should hate her, but she wins me over time and again. I don't understand publisher's insisting on labelling everything as 'sensual' in her writing. Just because she acknowledges corporeality other than death (the obsession of the White Male Writer) does not an eroticist make. Lazy. Netsuke was the most complete indictment of a male's pathological addiction to woman as objects and receptacles I've ever read. Makes that terrible Bret Easton Ellis book look like child's fare. And all in 130-pages! Only a penny on Amazon...

American Psycho? That was pretty horrific.. coat hangers and hookers.. ugh! I remember looking at Netsuke in the book shop and being turned off because of the blurb and the cover design.. maybe she has been mis-sold by her publishers. Haven't read her but that Fan-Maker's Inquisition looks promising and reminds me of the film Quills..
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby WarmJets on Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:50 am

Devotchik wrote:
WarmJets wrote:This reading is always just for myself. Work reading is far more serious fare. I develop curricula at several univerities in the social sciences (nominally your 'ologies'), so that vacillates as far between as, say, Hegel and introductory level textbooks for sociology. Meh.

Sounds interesting. When I went back to college after having my last child I enrolled on a Sociology course. Best thing I ever done. Modular college course: economics, history, sociology, psychology, social policy, and politics. Loved. Every. Minute. I got so much out of it, made me appreciate the world around me and my place in it. The background reading for that really helped my fine arts degree (post-structuralism and I did have a soft spot for epistemology.. :oops: Foucault's Order of Things 8) ), great stuff! My favourite Sociology academic book which I still suggest for our Nursing, Health & Social Care, Media & Culture students is THIS

WarmJets wrote:Elkin: that's a hard one. I haven't finished the project, so I can't say definitively. I do know that his last two books are universally derided by friends that I trust. His first three he was still finding his 'voice,' Thus, I would recommend The Living End--it's short, sweet, and very emblematic of what he is regarded for.

Cool. Thanks, will look in to that.. :)

WarmJets wrote:I do urge you to look into Ducornet. Her Entering Fire and Netsuke were masterful. The Fan-Maker's Inquisition wonderfully embodied de Sade and the zeitgeist of Revolutionary France. A true prose alchemist. In theory I should hate her, but she wins me over time and again. I don't understand publisher's insisting on labelling everything as 'sensual' in her writing. Just because she acknowledges corporeality other than death (the obsession of the White Male Writer) does not an eroticist make. Lazy. Netsuke was the most complete indictment of a male's pathological addiction to woman as objects and receptacles I've ever read. Makes that terrible Bret Easton Ellis book look like child's fare. And all in 130-pages! Only a penny on Amazon...

American Psycho? That was pretty horrific.. coat hangers and hookers.. ugh! I remember looking at Netsuke in the book shop and being turned off because of the blurb and the cover design.. maybe she has been mis-sold by her publishers. Haven't read her but that Fan-Maker's Inquisition looks promising and reminds me of the film Quills..

Yup, American Psycho. The most overhyped piece of dross in my time. Ok, maybe Infinite Jest. Anyway.

Ducornet is CONSTANTLY the victim of terrible packaging and blurbs. I don't think any of her publishers have a clue how to 'sell' her to the public. She's the virtual darling of almost every working writer I admire (and most that have passed away in the last 20+/- years), but she exists in this liminal zone that somehow urges publishers to find bullshit ways to market her. I swear to you, if you find ONE thing sexy about Netsuke I'll pay for your psychiatric examination myself.

You can get both of those books for a penny each. If you don't like them, I'll PayPal you your shipping and cost. Seriously.
It's all in my mind
It's all in my mind...
WarmJets
hot dog
hot dog

Postby davieboywonder on Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:56 pm

davieboywonder
chipolata
chipolata

Postby pinball on Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:03 pm

City of Bohane by Kevin Barry also. Belter. Like Gangs of New York. Meets Mad Max. But in Limerick. Look out for the graphically amusing cunnilingus reference :twisted:
"What's this?"
"What's what?"
"No. Who's who. But you were close"
pinball

Postby Devotchik on Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:06 pm

WarmJets wrote:
Ducornet is CONSTANTLY the victim of terrible packaging and blurbs. I don't think any of her publishers have a clue how to 'sell' her to the public. She's the virtual darling of almost every working writer I admire (and most that have passed away in the last 20+/- years), but she exists in this liminal zone that somehow urges publishers to find bullshit ways to market her. I swear to you, if you find ONE thing sexy about Netsuke I'll pay for your psychiatric examination myself.

You can get both of those books for a penny each. If you don't like them, I'll PayPal you your shipping and cost. Seriously.

Looked them up and read a sample chapter.. Not for me dude.. had enough of head screwy guys, I don't wanna be spending my spare time reading about them..

Started reading this:

Read the original Godfather book back a long time ago now, and having a crush on Al Pacino's character Michael Corleone waybackwhen helped somewhat..

Can you sense the irony in this post yet? :P
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby ricv64 on Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:06 pm

I learned to read the other day and picked this up . I was friends with one of them and hit Bruce Conner up for a job another time so I'm lurvin it

'what matchbook art school did you flunk out of, you ham-fisted, near-sighted, house painter?'-- C. Montgomery Burns
ricv64
currywurst
currywurst

Postby WarmJets on Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:48 pm

I'm reading Some Prefer Nettles by Junichiro Tanizaki and enjoying it very, very much. Compact and incredibly well-written. Recommended.
It's all in my mind
It's all in my mind...
WarmJets
hot dog
hot dog

Postby WarmJets on Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:48 pm

Just read Max by Günter Grass. A lot of fun.

Now reading Valparaiso by Don DeLillo. We shall see.
It's all in my mind
It's all in my mind...
WarmJets
hot dog
hot dog

Postby WarmJets on Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:49 pm

WarmJets wrote:Just read Max by Günter Grass. A lot of fun.

Now reading Valparaiso by Don DeLillo. We shall see.

The DeLillo was, um, terrible. Kawabata's House of the Sleeping Beauties up next.
It's all in my mind
It's all in my mind...
WarmJets
hot dog
hot dog

Postby Devotchik on Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:12 am

I had a lot going on last December so didn't feel like reading anything too heavy. So I read a few Jackie Collins books over the next few months.. same kind of formulaic stories but the vivid characterisations leave you wondering on whom they were based. Also great because I found that when I had too much on my mind to concentrate properly on the story I could find my way easily. It was nice reading something different for a change.

Then I read Carrie Fisher's The Princess Diarist which I have to confess I didn't enjoy as much as I thought I would. I had waited a while for it to be sent on as when Carrie Fisher died suddenly everyone wanted to read it so it became sold out. I guess this anxiety added to my overall disappointment when I finally received my copy. I do like a bit of structure, alas its quite a small book (not that much content for the book size) and didn't take long to read yet at times I found it rambling a bit or stretching out as if she didn't know what else to write about. Basically it is pages of poems / verse and a few recollections from her diary entries about 'Carrison' her pet name for her brief affair with Harrison Ford during the shooting of the first Star Wars film Episode IV A New Hope. Her recollections of the affair don't go in to great detail.. as she was aged 19 at the time it's mostly collections of her own awkward teenage love poetry verse.. and as he was married at the time you feel a lot of guilt from Carrie's side of things. A few nice photos of them both on set. And then a chapter on the demands Star Wars fans place on her when she attends Comic Con.
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby duglas on Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:19 pm

I am currently reading Cosey Fanni Tutti's Art Sex Music and I'm enjoying very much. I don't think you need to be a Throbbing Gristle or Chris & Cosey fan to enjoy it.

DUGLAS
duglas
currywurst
currywurst

Postby johnnycigars on Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:32 pm

duglas wrote:I am currently reading Cosey Fanni Tutti's Art Sex Music and I'm enjoying very much. I don't think you need to be a Throbbing Gristle or Chris & Cosey fan to enjoy it.

This is next on my list.
johnnycigars
pepperoni
pepperoni

PreviousNext

Return to Message Board