What do you think of Brexit vote?

What do you think of Brexit vote?

Postby Nicene Creeder on Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:02 am

As an outsider without any skin in the game, I didn't think Scotland leaving the UK made much sense from an economic standpoint.
Leaving the EU may offer some benefits. The EU is another layer of bureaucracy which should be lead by each nations government. The EU seems like the perfect packaging to hide nefarious political operations which can lead to destabilize others. Clearly there are many advantages as well, especially for travel and goods. I can't imagine the US giving up authority to a North American Union, where we would be tied to Haiti, the Dominican Republic, Cuba, Belize, Guatemala, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama, Jamaica, Trinad & Tobago, Mexico and Canada.

The superhero cartoon at the bottom of the link makes me think exit. http://europa.eu/about-eu/basic-information/eu-presidents/index_en.htm
LAter

NC
Nicene Creeder
andouillette
andouillette

Re: What do you think of Brexit vote?

Postby Devotchik on Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:39 pm

I'm convinced its going to be a leave vote that wins it and that Trump is next president.. if after all that Scotland actually decides to leave the UK and remain in the EU I might make my way up north for good.. there, I said it..
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Nicene Creeder on Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:17 am

Not so sure of a Brexit vote or of a Trump presidency. Not sure why a move to separate from the UK and a jump to the EU would benefit Scotland unless there is a trade the values it. Seems more like additional debt would be placed on Scotland's shoulders. Here in the US we have a candidate who talks a good game and pretends to be a fiduciary of the working class, and the a clone of the first.

Devotchik wrote:I'm convinced its going to be a leave vote that wins it and that Trump is next president.. if after all that Scotland actually decides to leave the UK and remain in the EU I might make my way up north for good.. there, I said it..
LAter

NC
Nicene Creeder
andouillette
andouillette

Postby Devotchik on Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:59 pm

Sovereignty and self determination, I'm thinking.. plus the gas and oil reserves that lie below the waves.. I'm sure someone better than myself could go in to the finer points.. the current parliament does have the power to veto the referendum vote if it is not to their liking but I'm guessing with the Tories so divided Cameron would lose the veto and it would go ahead so he wants the remain camp to win outright which also secures his office and his career..
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Gene_Clark on Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:06 am

this referendum has unearthed the most vile aspects of the English character imaginable... we are heading towards an ugly populist ultra right wing semi dictatorship, where the moneyed classes have hoodwinked the lumpen elements into blaming the wrong targets for social ills.... if Brexit happens, immigrants & refugees, gays, lefties etc will be demonised & oppressed in a way scarily reminiscent of 1930s Germany, with EDL & Britain First morons acting as a de facto Sturmabteilung..... it's truly terrifying & depressing at the same time
El Jodido Payaso de Mierda: pathetic moaning old bastard whose interests include Newcastle Benfield FC, UK Alternative rock band Teenage Fanclub, Literature, Ultra Left Wing Politics, Real Ale & scoring goals for Wallsend Boys' Club Over 40s.
Gene_Clark
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Nicene Creeder on Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:14 am

It's interesting to see that Scotland voted solidly to remain, but didn't really come out to vote. While England came out to vote to leave. There is more than a million vote difference, with almost 13 million who didn't vote. Now you just need to make your MPs work for their money.

Gene_Clark wrote:this referendum has unearthed the most vile aspects of the English character imaginable... we are heading towards an ugly populist ultra right wing semi dictatorship, where the moneyed classes have hoodwinked the lumpen elements into blaming the wrong targets for social ills.... if Brexit happens, immigrants & refugees, gays, lefties etc will be demonised & oppressed in a way scarily reminiscent of 1930s Germany, with EDL & Britain First morons acting as a de facto Sturmabteilung..... it's truly terrifying & depressing at the same time
LAter

NC
Nicene Creeder
andouillette
andouillette

Postby terjely on Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:20 am

Winter is coming.
terjely
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Big Bazza on Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:40 am

Nicene Creeder wrote:It's interesting to see that Scotland voted solidly to remain, but didn't really come out to vote. While England came out to vote to leave. There is more than a million vote difference, with almost 13 million who didn't vote. Now you just need to make your MPs work for their money.

Gene_Clark wrote:this referendum has unearthed the most vile aspects of the English character imaginable... we are heading towards an ugly populist ultra right wing semi dictatorship, where the moneyed classes have hoodwinked the lumpen elements into blaming the wrong targets for social ills.... if Brexit happens, immigrants & refugees, gays, lefties etc will be demonised & oppressed in a way scarily reminiscent of 1930s Germany, with EDL & Britain First morons acting as a de facto Sturmabteilung..... it's truly terrifying & depressing at the same time

"Didn't really come out"?
Scottish turnout 67%
USA 2012 presidential election turnout 55%
“Do as I say, not as I do” – The Hypocritic Oath © N Blake 2009
Big Bazza
mortadella
mortadella

Postby Big Bazza on Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:40 am

Thoroughly sickened by this result. A victory for racism and xenophobia.
“Do as I say, not as I do” – The Hypocritic Oath © N Blake 2009
Big Bazza
mortadella
mortadella

Postby Nicene Creeder on Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:38 pm

You'd have to go back over 100 years to see us break 65%. We are a pretty appathetic bunch. Luckily we have no such referendum process at the federal level, just a political supreme court who can make us all eat pigs feet once a day or make a person a slave simply by a 5-4, 4-4, or 4-3 vote.

Looks like England/Wales had a little more spirit. Wonder how the vote would have been if the leave vote would have also dq'd England from Euro 2016. Wales v Northern Ireland tomorrow could be a good one.

Big Bazza wrote:
Nicene Creeder wrote:It's interesting to see that Scotland voted solidly to remain, but didn't really come out to vote. While England came out to vote to leave. There is more than a million vote difference, with almost 13 million who didn't vote. Now you just need to make your MPs work for their money.

"Didn't really come out"?
Scottish turnout 67%
USA 2012 presidential election turnout 55%
LAter

NC
Nicene Creeder
andouillette
andouillette

Postby Devotchik on Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:21 pm

Looks like there will be quite a lot of new immigrants to Scotland, RoI, & Canada due to the disappointing Leave vote. On a personal note my daughter was asking about how hard would it be to move to Scotland.. very sad day!
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Devotchik on Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:14 pm

Brexit.. giving a chance for xenophobes and racists to openly share their horrible views.. https://www.facebook.com/sarah.leblanc.718/media_set?set=a.10101369198638985&type=3&pnref=story
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Gene_Clark on Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:45 pm

rather ironic that the braying voiced ruling elite & the Carling swigging, Stone Island attired underclass have come together to vote leave; it's Germany 1932 all over again.... the only consolation i can see so far is in this absurd attempt to TAKE BACK CONTROL of Britain's borders, Brexit will preclude the dissolution of the UK.

Scotland will, rightly, become independent and as Pinball so eloquently put it, a lot of people in NI went to bed as unionists with a small u on Thursday & woke up as nationalists with a small n. Either a vote of reunification or, plausibly but ludicrously, a repartition could be in the air.

we are living in the end of times; it is terrifying....
El Jodido Payaso de Mierda: pathetic moaning old bastard whose interests include Newcastle Benfield FC, UK Alternative rock band Teenage Fanclub, Literature, Ultra Left Wing Politics, Real Ale & scoring goals for Wallsend Boys' Club Over 40s.
Gene_Clark
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby madavies71 on Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:50 am

[quote="Nicene Creeder"]You'd have to go back over 100 years to see us break 65%. We are a pretty appathetic bunch. Luckily we have no such referendum process at the federal level, just a political supreme court who can make us all eat pigs feet once a day or make a person a slave simply by a 5-4, 4-4, or 4-3 vote.

Looks like England/Wales had a little more spirit. Wonder how the vote would have been if the leave vote would have also dq'd England from Euro 2016. Wales v Northern Ireland tomorrow could be a good one.

We didn't need any Euro 2016 disqualification clause included in the referendum! Our overpaid pussy "footballers" and shambolic manager proved themselves perfectly capable of shooting ourselves in the foot there. Out of Europe twice in a week. Sickening.
madavies71
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Devotchik on Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:08 pm

Now we know what held up the album release.. Norman's second dayjob sorting out the parliament in Europe.. wot no John Lennon suit? :wink:

On a serious note I hope things get sorted out with Brexit sooner rather than later and we'll have to see how this whole Corbyn no confidence vote rolls out because the last time a Labour leader got one of those Jim Murphy resigned shortly afterwards (and a recent tweet suggests he feels he could have hung on longer..)

If anything its got people talking politics.. darkside is the upsurge in racist abuse being reported since the vote almost as if the Leave vote has in some way legalised racism as an ok thing to do and a very public pursuit..

1922 commitee wanna hurry the process of choosing a new Tory leader to July 5th which I'm in favour of.. Cameron deciding to go in three months was too long.. way before BoJo took the (London) Mayoral campaign on, there was always a sneaking suspicion he was aiming for the big job and just looking for the shortest way possible..
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Next

Return to Message Board