Battenburg/Battenberg

Battenburg/Battenberg

Postby Ruthiepoos on Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:33 pm

Does anyone remember Battenberg? The Irish one. I just posted about it on Facebook and it created quite a stir. Was this just an Irish thing? Or just a Cork thing? Any Scottish people remember it from their youth?

The Battenberg we have today is some marzipan monstrosity that looks like an evil angel cake. The one I remember was a spongecake with layers of icing, triangular prism in shape, covered in thick, corrugated chocolate. I can't even find a representation of it on the internet, as the biggest bakery that made it shut down before the popularity of the internet, I think, and since then its empty territories have been over run by the almond paste invader. A small bakery has revived it but they don't do mail order! Outrageous.

I'd make it myself but it's hard to make a decent facsimile without even a photo. And I'd probably tadger it up.
I LOVE my TFC umbrella! :-)
Ruthiepoos
pepperoni
pepperoni

Re: Battenburg/Battenberg

Postby Devotchik on Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:46 pm

This one, innit.. found it on Pinterest.. made by Thompson & Son Ltd of Cork.. good luck in your search, this was one of two images..

Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Ruthiepoos on Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:57 pm

Yes!

This looks like a good homemade approximation. I remember more and finer layers though. Is that definitely melted chocolate on the outside and not buttercream? The corrugation is good.

I wonder how hard would it be to make my own?
Ruthiepoos
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Devotchik on Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:50 pm

I can recall the chocolate 'icing' tasted very cocoa like, not very chocolatey and the sponge bit was dry.. I don't think it was buttercream, tasted more like that fake chocolate you can melt down.. bet yours would taste a lot better!
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Ruthiepoos on Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:38 am

:-)

Devotchik wrote:I can recall the chocolate 'icing' tasted very cocoa like, not very chocolatey and the sponge bit was dry.. I don't think it was buttercream, tasted more like that fake chocolate you can melt down.. bet yours would taste a lot better!

Well yes but that's cause I'd probably use proper chocolate, which is harder to work with. Some special patisserie chocolate can be very pliable and easy to melt and not to runny when melted so easy to work with and to use as a coating, but it doesn't always taste great. But that's ok. I'd do lots of experiments with different chocolate. And probably make lots of mistakes. Lots of tasty mistakes............
Ruthiepoos
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby shents on Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:14 am

Ruthiepoos wrote::-)

Devotchik wrote:I can recall the chocolate 'icing' tasted very cocoa like, not very chocolatey and the sponge bit was dry.. I don't think it was buttercream, tasted more like that fake chocolate you can melt down.. bet yours would taste a lot better!

Well yes but that's cause I'd probably use proper chocolate, which is harder to work with. Some special patisserie chocolate can be very pliable and easy to melt and not to runny when melted so easy to work with and to use as a coating, but it doesn't always taste great. But that's ok. I'd do lots of experiments with different chocolate. And probably make lots of mistakes. Lots of tasty mistakes............

being a bit of a fancy dan, I recently made a batternburg (square version) with macha (green tea) and cocoa, with white chocolate for the icing. It was all right :)
shents
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Ruthiepoos on Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:30 pm

Sounds a bit poshe!

Did it have marzipan in it Shents?
Ruthiepoos
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby shents on Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:09 am

Ruthiepoos wrote:Sounds a bit poshe!

sadly marzipan is a bit thin on the ground in yer average japanese supermarket. so no. Would have been good with marzipan too!

on the other hand, we do have lots of matcha and red beans, which are mighty fine cake ingredients. (not to mention purple sweet potatoes!)
shents
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Ruthiepoos on Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:12 am

shents wrote:
Ruthiepoos wrote:Sounds a bit poshe!

sadly marzipan is a bit thin on the ground in yer average japanese supermarket. so no. Would have been good with marzipan too!

on the other hand, we do have lots of matcha and red beans, which are mighty fine cake ingredients. (not to mention purple sweet potatoes!)

Good job, if it's got marzipan in it it's not the Batternburg I'm after :-) The monstrosity known as Battenburg now is inedible! I like the idea of matcha though :-)
Ruthiepoos
pepperoni
pepperoni

Return to Message Board