and have just started this - it's very funny
https://cdn.evbuc.com/eventlogos/34894620/disco.jpg
... it's no easy.
El Macca
pepperoni
pepperoni

Re: Recommend a book...

Postby Nicene Creeder on Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:58 am

Not a book, just an EU court decision http://hudoc.echr.coe.int/sites/eng/pages/search.aspx?i=001-155105

Been reading a lot of old stuff recently courtesy of http://www.gutenberg.org/
LAter

NC
Nicene Creeder
andouillette
andouillette

Postby Devotchik on Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:59 am

Peter Fuller's 'Art & Psychoanalysis' - just for the last essay on the abstract painters Robert Natkin & Mark Rothko.. from the dude who helped John Berger put Ways of Seeing on the telly and then fell out with him over it..
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby pinball on Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:37 am

I've just finished When We Were Orphans, previously having gone on a mini McEwan binge with Amsterdam and Sweet Tooth. Now I'm double booking with "The Beat Goes On", a Rebus short story retrospective and "The Establishment" by Owen Jones, which is getting my gander RIGHT UP.
"What's this?"
"What's what?"
"No. Who's who. But you were close"
pinball
"tom is a sex god" - Beyonce Knowles
"tom is a sex god" - Beyonce Knowles

Postby ricv64 on Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:19 pm

'what matchbook art school did you flunk out of, you ham-fisted, near-sighted, house painter?'-- C. Montgomery Burns
ricv64
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Devotchik on Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:46 pm

Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby WarmJets on Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:00 pm

Dani,

You're always reading some serious fare! My lord!

Currently on a Günter Grass kick. Just finished all the Kenzaburo Oē books that have been translated (14). That was a great endeavor. Prior to that I read the oeuvre of Robert Stone in one go. Interspersing Grass w Gaddis. Reading far too much...

Cody
It's all in my mind
It's all in my mind...
WarmJets
hot dog
hot dog

Postby Devotchik on Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:39 am

To be honest Cody, I start reading one book then get another one and start reading that before finishing the first one and then buy another one and start reading that one before finishing the other ones.. etc.. funny thing is that I can pick up from where I left off with any book and usually have five books on my bedside table waiting to be completed.. it can pull me in several directions but when they all are similarly themed its easier. Weird reading pattern which I put down to being dyslexic or attention deficit.. whatever it is. I just wanna read them all at the same time lol
Reading is something I would like to do but feel sometimes its out of my grasp but I do like factual, auto/ biographical, and a few fiction books. I get deep in to subjects and know good research skills which are handy in my job too.. so yeah I read some really deep stuff but I do genuinely enjoy it. I've always been curious.. :-)
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby WarmJets on Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:58 pm

Devotchik wrote:To be honest Cody, I start reading one book then get another one and start reading that before finishing the first one and then buy another one and start reading that one before finishing the other ones.. etc.. funny thing is that I can pick up from where I left off with any book and usually have five books on my bedside table waiting to be completed.. it can pull me in several directions but when they all are similarly themed its easier. Weird reading pattern which I put down to being dyslexic or attention deficit.. whatever it is. I just wanna read them all at the same time lol
Reading is something I would like to do but feel sometimes its out of my grasp but I do like factual, auto/ biographical, and a few fiction books. I get deep in to subjects and know good research skills which are handy in my job too.. so yeah I read some really deep stuff but I do genuinely enjoy it. I've always been curious.. :-)

Isn't it funny, Dani, how our minds find ways to gain purchase, however differentiated from one person to the next? I'm the exact opposite as you. If I feel moved by someone's writing, I HAVE to read everything they've written: novels, essays, tracts, missives, poetry. And I usually do it all in one go; trying, in vain, to see the world through their eyes, as it were. Nor can I put a book down. Once I've started, I'll finish it. Which has made for some terribly uninteresting reads over time. I agree with my current obsession, Grass, on this:

"Even bad books are books and therefore sacred."
It's all in my mind
It's all in my mind...
WarmJets
hot dog
hot dog

Postby Devotchik on Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:25 am

I suppose after all my book titles I'm not really a book person I'm more of a need to see and hear things person before I would consider reading something. I do have a few audio books which are great when you're on the go.. and I have recorded myself reading out loud short stories on my Soundcloud account in the past. I guess its the performative aspect to reading out loud that I enjoy plus it also gives me a chance to digest it and figure it out unlike when I read stuff quietly to  myself which tends to be reserved for the factual, informative, or instructive stuff.. lol.

The way you get about writers is how I get about actors, directors, or characters.. probably why I have a large dvd collection with several thousand titles. I'm guessing you have a large collection of books? My books are currently double parked on the bookshelves.. I pick up books and get transported back to when I was reading them and how I was feeling about it at the time or how relevant it was.. has stopped me getting rid of a good few books!! Its the experience around reading them as well as reading that I enjoy.. :-)
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby WarmJets on Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:06 am

I've never counted but I know it's problematic! Quite a few thousand by counting just one shelf right now and extrapolating. Those that don't fit any longer in any of the many bookcases have started to just accumulate in very large stacks. So...add that to the 10,000 LP's and, yep, you have yourself a problem. I collect the two heaviest things possible. As a friend once said, "why not just start collecting cannonballs?" Moving is not an option at this point.

I'm the same way about music. If I love a band, I absolutely have to own/hear everything. I won't even listen to something unless I own a physical copy of it. So, I'm fairly certain that TFC were largely responsible for my poverty level in the 90's with their prodigious exploitation of the single and EP formats! And of course you have to have them on vinyl and CD both because tracklisting variations.

I will say that records and books are the only things I collect. I MAYBE own 10 DVD's, no toys, comics, video games, etc. All in all, I'm a fairly organized obsessive. Oh, and I've started buying signed first editions. Yikes. I guess I am an asshole! For some reason I want some tactile connection between me and these now-dead writers. Oddly I have no desire to own LP's that are signed unless I got the signature myself which hasn't happened in many, many years (I think it was Norman signing the "God Knows It's True" 12" well over 23-4 years ago). The last autograph I asked for was from Joe Boyd 10ish years ago, and that was probably more greatness by proxy than anything and on a loose sheet of paper. I digress...

So what are you reading in addition to the Campbell, then?
It's all in my mind
It's all in my mind...
WarmJets
hot dog
hot dog

Postby Devotchik on Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:12 pm

WarmJets wrote:So what are you reading in addition to the Campbell, then?

Become What You are by Alan Watts and Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me by Richard Farina. :)
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Devotchik on Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:55 pm

Jumpin Jack Flash by Keiron Pim

The true story of David Litvinoff; Kray Twins and Rolling Stones associate, gang land consultant for David Cammell's film Performance, Lucien Freud's doppleganger, author Emmanuel Litvinoff's half brother, and well known 'face' about town..

Well researched and very interesting look at an interesting man who seemed to be everywhere and with everyone on the sixties scene but who nobody really knew anything about.. the original 'man who cast no shadow'.. until now.. if you like reading about the sixties scenes/scenesters and have read any of Barry Miles books you'll like it..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jumpin-Jack-Fla ... 0224098128
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby WarmJets on Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:37 am

Hey Dani!

Whatchoo been reading? I'm currently alternating Rikki Ducornet with Stanley Elkin. They make for nice studies in contrast. Those are both punctuating the 2016 William Vollmann corpus project that I'm 2/3 done with.

Hope you are well, and I thought your post about Brexit a few weeks ago an especially lovely--though sad--encapsulation of the mind frame of my friends in Scotland and England.

Cody
It's all in my mind
It's all in my mind...
WarmJets
hot dog
hot dog

Postby Devotchik on Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:04 pm

Last edited by Devotchik on Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

PreviousNext

Return to Message Board