Today I.....

Re: Today I.....

Postby Devotchik on Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:15 am

I'm in touch with my mums cousin who is a genealogy nut but who has managed to trace back one of our common ancestors lines back to England in 1554 with the name Prysman. Very cool. Seems its a Prussian name. Anyhow closer to home with all the genealogy stuff, I'm glad to have found out my great grandparents names on both sides of the family and where in Ireland / England they came from. Found out my great grandfather was serving on the hospital ship Brittannic when it got sank during the Dardanelles conflict WW1 and had also served in the Boer war. Lovely story of him accepting my catholic grandfather as a suitable suitor for my protestant (C of I) grandmother even though they were on opposing sides both in regards to armies and religions, yet they had Ireland and a pride of being Irish in common. Some sad stories too about my great grandmother which made me tear up.. Its nice to have a sense of where I came from and what kind of people they were.. Think that's about as far back as I want to go though..
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst
 
Posts: 5479
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:27 pm

Re: Today I.....

Postby bluflower on Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:16 pm

Devotchik wrote:I'm in touch with my mums cousin who is a genealogy nut but who has managed to trace back one of our common ancestors lines back to England in 1554 with the name Prysman. Very cool. Seems its a Prussian name. Anyhow closer to home with all the genealogy stuff, I'm glad to have found out my great grandparents names on both sides of the family and where in Ireland / England they came from. Found out my great grandfather was serving on the hospital ship Brittannic when it got sank during the Dardanelles conflict WW1 and had also served in the Boer war. Lovely story of him accepting my catholic grandfather as a suitable suitor for my protestant (C of I) grandmother even though they were on opposing sides both in regards to armies and religions, yet they had Ireland and a pride of being Irish in common. Some sad stories too about my great grandmother which made me tear up.. Its nice to have a sense of where I came from and what kind of people they were.. Think that's about as far back as I want to go though..


Very cool! I've made some progress in researching my family history, but am struggling with the McArdle line. I know for certain my 3x Great Grandparents were born in Ireland and made their way to Philadelphia at some point. There's little to no concrete information past that. I'd love to dig further, but I don't have the time to devote to it. I'm still baffled how I didn't know until the past few years that my 2x Great Grandfather Truman was Welsh. I always thought the Truman line was from England.
Thankfully, a good bit of research was done by both my paternal and maternal Grandmothers. Hopefully, I can research more soon. I still need to work on my research to tie my ancestors the American Revolution. Seems I have connections on both maternal and paternal lines.
without music, I'd be dead.

http://www.facebook.com/spincycleshow/
Spin Cycle on the air at WERA, wera.fm every Tuesday 10am-Noon EST
User avatar
bluflower
hot dog
hot dog
 
Posts: 925
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Arlington, VA, US

Re: Today I.....

Postby bluflower on Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:39 pm

helped launch our facebook page for WERA, the low power radio station we're building here in Arlington!
if you're on facebook and would be so kind to like our page, I appreciate it!

www.facebook.com/WERA96.7

:mrgreen:
without music, I'd be dead.

http://www.facebook.com/spincycleshow/
Spin Cycle on the air at WERA, wera.fm every Tuesday 10am-Noon EST
User avatar
bluflower
hot dog
hot dog
 
Posts: 925
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Arlington, VA, US
Top

Re: Today I.....

Postby Devotchik on Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:32 am

bluflower wrote:
Very cool! I've made some progress in researching my family history, but am struggling with the McArdle line. I know for certain my 3x Great Grandparents were born in Ireland and made their way to Philadelphia at some point. There's little to no concrete information past that. I'd love to dig further, but I don't have the time to devote to it. I'm still baffled how I didn't know until the past few years that my 2x Great Grandfather Truman was Welsh. I always thought the Truman line was from England.
Thankfully, a good bit of research was done by both my paternal and maternal Grandmothers. Hopefully, I can research more soon. I still need to work on my research to tie my ancestors the American Revolution. Seems I have connections on both maternal and paternal lines.


Hey, you've out-cooled me! :D Now that is rather special going back that far! 8) Think it was reading all your posts on FB, posting old family photos that used to get me thinking about my then uncharted family history.. Look what you've started Lauree! :wink: Funny to think / contemplate that some of the ancestors have quirky habits, personality aspects, physical characteristics, or lives that reflect what we go through in these modern times.. I think what hit me hardest was finding out my maternal great-grandmother gave birth to 8 for only 3 to survive to adult then died at 36.. I have 3 kids so that stung me pretty badly hence the tears.. I'd like to research her more in depth if I can.. she's my mothers mothers mother so its hard not to feel some kind of empathy and curiosity about her.. Good luck with your search, when you get the time! :D
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst
 
Posts: 5479
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:27 pm
Top

Re: Today I.....

Postby bluflower on Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:29 pm

Devotchik wrote:
bluflower wrote:
Very cool! I've made some progress in researching my family history, but am struggling with the McArdle line. I know for certain my 3x Great Grandparents were born in Ireland and made their way to Philadelphia at some point. There's little to no concrete information past that. I'd love to dig further, but I don't have the time to devote to it. I'm still baffled how I didn't know until the past few years that my 2x Great Grandfather Truman was Welsh. I always thought the Truman line was from England.
Thankfully, a good bit of research was done by both my paternal and maternal Grandmothers. Hopefully, I can research more soon. I still need to work on my research to tie my ancestors the American Revolution. Seems I have connections on both maternal and paternal lines.


Hey, you've out-cooled me! :D Now that is rather special going back that far! 8) Think it was reading all your posts on FB, posting old family photos that used to get me thinking about my then uncharted family history.. Look what you've started Lauree! :wink: Funny to think / contemplate that some of the ancestors have quirky habits, personality aspects, physical characteristics, or lives that reflect what we go through in these modern times.. I think what hit me hardest was finding out my maternal great-grandmother gave birth to 8 for only 3 to survive to adult then died at 36.. I have 3 kids so that stung me pretty badly hence the tears.. I'd like to research her more in depth if I can.. she's my mothers mothers mother so its hard not to feel some kind of empathy and curiosity about her.. Good luck with your search, when you get the time! :D


While researching some generations past, I found myself crying at the the children lost, some who lived barely a month. And then marveling at the fact that some of my ancestors lived well into their 80s in the 1700s and 1800s, which wasn't typical. It's all so fascinating. Some of the photographs I've seen, it's wild to see similarities across generations! I wish I could spend full time researching and documenting.

It pains me that I'm not in Florida with my Dad right now. He's visiting my Great Aunt who is 97 years old. I wish I could record more stories, more singing from her. Sadly, she hasn't left her apartment in 5 weeks. It's possible that she's left the apartment to go to the common rooms and the cafe in the building, but not outside.

Somehow I need to convince my Dad to share some stories with me so I can record them. I've become the family historian!
without music, I'd be dead.

http://www.facebook.com/spincycleshow/
Spin Cycle on the air at WERA, wera.fm every Tuesday 10am-Noon EST
User avatar
bluflower
hot dog
hot dog
 
Posts: 925
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Arlington, VA, US
Top

Re: Today I.....

Postby Alice on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:00 am

...I've realized, once again, that working on weekends sucks!

;)
User avatar
Alice
andouillette
andouillette
 
Posts: 1254
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:09 pm
Location: Serbia
Top

Re: Today I.....

Postby Devotchik on Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:11 pm

bluflower wrote:While researching some generations past, I found myself crying at the the children lost, some who lived barely a month. And then marveling at the fact that some of my ancestors lived well into their 80s in the 1700s and 1800s, which wasn't typical. It's all so fascinating. Some of the photographs I've seen, it's wild to see similarities across generations! I wish I could spend full time researching and documenting.

It pains me that I'm not in Florida with my Dad right now. He's visiting my Great Aunt who is 97 years old. I wish I could record more stories, more singing from her. Sadly, she hasn't left her apartment in 5 weeks. It's possible that she's left the apartment to go to the common rooms and the cafe in the building, but not outside.

Somehow I need to convince my Dad to share some stories with me so I can record them. I've become the family historian!



Those vids you shared with your great aunt were very cool.. Thing I couldn't stand about going back in the records is how varied the spelling of names were.. One guy, my great grandad had three variations of his names Burns Byrnes etc and made it a bit difficult tracing him back but it was done, took years of trawling through every record poss and then matching them with info we already knew.. was almost like one of those Einstein puzzles you get..

My mums cousin managed to trace an ancestor back to his arrival in England in 1554 from Prussia.. all the way up the line every single variation of this surname and sometimes different records for the same person had many spellings.. its hard keeping track sometimes whilst researching.. thats why I'm going to stick closer to home and research great grandparents / grandparents.

And with the Doherty surname and its 'popularity' back in Inishowen, Donegal, well complications are many especially when you have generations of different Doherty's marrying each other.. so another reason to keep it closer to home. I know my aunt Sadie has said growing up as a Doherty in Donegal meant families having their own nicknames to distinguish them.. apparently ours is Copen but then none of that goes recorded on records.. got my dad to do one of those National Geographic genome dna tests and on his fathers side he can be traced back to Irish war chief Niall of the Nine hostages so those things are cool to have done too.. I remember some years ago Sonia said she had one done so thats how I heard of it.. Had mine done and it didn't really tell me anything. Fascinating all this family stuff though isn't it? I only knew family up to grandparents so for me I've got a lot through doing all this!
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst
 
Posts: 5479
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:27 pm
Top

Re: Today I.....

Postby Devotchik on Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:22 pm

Well with all the spare time I've had recently and with finishing decorating the kids room and looking for jobs I managed to make a short film using 16mm.. have a peek here: https://vimeo.com/137416839
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst
 
Posts: 5479
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:27 pm
Top

Re: Today I.....

Postby bluflower on Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:16 am

Devotchik wrote:Well with all the spare time I've had recently and with finishing decorating the kids room and looking for jobs I managed to make a short film using 16mm.. have a peek here: https://vimeo.com/137416839


thanks for sharing the film! it's a bit mesmerizing!
without music, I'd be dead.

http://www.facebook.com/spincycleshow/
Spin Cycle on the air at WERA, wera.fm every Tuesday 10am-Noon EST
User avatar
bluflower
hot dog
hot dog
 
Posts: 925
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Arlington, VA, US
Top

Re: Today I.....

Postby bluflower on Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:24 am

learned this in doing family history research:

excerpt from the "History of Kitchener, Ontario"
John Biehn is my 6x Great Grandfather and Dilman Kinzie is my 5x Great Grandfather

Image
without music, I'd be dead.

http://www.facebook.com/spincycleshow/
Spin Cycle on the air at WERA, wera.fm every Tuesday 10am-Noon EST
User avatar
bluflower
hot dog
hot dog
 
Posts: 925
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Arlington, VA, US
Top

Re: Today I.....

Postby Devotchik on Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:52 am

Real excited that Jeremy Corbyn won the Labour party leadership.. no job as yet but still looking.. have finished painting another room in the flat and will have another carpet to lay.. got rid of tonnes of stuff I had horded over the years.. basically keeping myself busy inbetween editing cv's, applying for jobs, fielding phonecalls, and attending interviews.. stressful!
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst
 
Posts: 5479
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:27 pm
Top

Re: Today I.....

Postby Devotchik on Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:25 pm

Seems the persistence has paid off.. (impatiently!!) waiting for the DBS certificate to come through so I can 'start again'..

A TFC song to sum up the - at times - frustrating experience over the past few months looking for a new job, refining CV's, filling in numerous applications, getting to interview status and numerous rejections..



And another from the same album about the importance of remaining positive through the whole thing..



And another from Raymond just cos he's cool and its a bad ass song.. 8)

Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst
 
Posts: 5479
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:27 pm
Top

Re: Today I.....

Postby ricv64 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:18 am

found myself playing certain songs over and over :roll:


Happy Veterans day to all the vets

especially all who were in the 125th Signal Bn

Leokani Okauwila , Voice of Lightning

Image
Image

'what matchbook art school did you flunk out of, you ham-fisted, near-sighted, house painter?'-- C. Montgomery Burns
User avatar
ricv64
currywurst
currywurst
 
Posts: 6725
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:04 pm
Location: Lost and asleep on the maZn great highway
Top

Re: Today I.....

Postby bluflower on Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:57 am

am trying not to freak out....we're just 5 days from launching the radio station!

www.wera.fm

We go live at 6pm EST on Sunday December 6th.
I'm planning to be on for a a bit in that first hour, will play a few songs and can't decide on which Fanclub song I should play!!
suggestions?

:D
without music, I'd be dead.

http://www.facebook.com/spincycleshow/
Spin Cycle on the air at WERA, wera.fm every Tuesday 10am-Noon EST
User avatar
bluflower
hot dog
hot dog
 
Posts: 925
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Arlington, VA, US
Top

Re: Today I.....

Postby Devotchik on Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:30 am

Today my dad rang me twice to see how I was. A simple enough act you might think but thats the first time he's ever done that! He knows I'm feeling low. Feels really nice to have that support. :mrgreen:
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst
 
Posts: 5479
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:27 pm
Top

PreviousNext

Return to Message Board

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests