My film of the day

Re: My film of the day

Postby Devotchik on Sun May 31, 2015 10:13 pm

On a bit of a Pasolini / Fellini thing at the mo. Watched the Auteur anthology film RoGoPaG with four sequences directed by Pasolini, Godard, Rossellini, & Gregoretti. Sequences linked by the post war European attitudes towards modern issues such as sex, religion, urbanisation & nuclear weaponry. Totally loved Pasolini's sequence La Ricotta in which Orson Welles makes an appearance as a disillusioned film director working on a religious epic which ends quite darkly..

Then watched La Strada starring Giulietta Masina (Mrs Fellini) as a stray waif of a girl who is forced to leave home with circus act Anthony Quinn living a life of drudgery on the road as his assistant which ends tragically.

Then watched Giulietta Masina (again) in Nights of Cabiria as a young and naive lady of the night struggling to find true love on the streets of Rome. Really enjoyed this one much more than La Strada.. La Strada was a bit of a downer whereas Nights of Cabiria has its comedic moments mixed in with the strong characterisation of Cabiria giving this a positive and empathetic feel..

Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Devotchik on Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:28 pm

Pasolini :o :shock:

Of course, I can't speak Italian..
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Sonia on Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:24 pm

Sonia
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Devotchik on Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:04 am

Dying is Fun by Bill Domonkos

He works with archive public domain film and uses Creative Commons music / sounds, so I hope this counts towards the genre and is worthy of the Film of the Day thread..

"In search of the sublime, Mr. Fireman spends most of his time conducting radical experiments of self-obliteration, an ecstatic process in which he puts himself into a hypnotic trance, mentally deleting parts of his body.

Inspired by Vladimir Nabokov's "The Original of Laura", his incomplete final novel.

Evoking a sense of time and nostalgia, the film uses archive film footage which is manipulated, reconstructed and combined with newly created digital animation, special effects and sound, provoking new ideas and experiences."

Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby duglas on Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:46 am

I saw Love & Mercy last week. I really loved it.
DUGLAS
duglas
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Devotchik on Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:52 pm

Very good film about French sculptor Camille Claudel who moves from being Rodin's student to lover & then her decent in to madness all the while displaying a genuine genius at sculpture.. just shy of 3 hours but worth it.
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Devotchik on Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:20 pm

Inherent Vice

Its a story you'd write if you'd been smoking some quality grass.. I honestly think this has the makings of a cult film.. and I've been investigating the theories based around what goes on in this film.. its really out there.. but fun.. worth a punt if you haven't seen it although I felt I had to watch it twice to take it all in because its really far out..

Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Sparkly Diamond on Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:42 pm

Outstanding!

An incredible story told incredibly well. I was in tears.
I fear the worst.
Sparkly Diamond
pepperoni
pepperoni

Previous

Return to Message Board