photograph of the day

Re: photograph of the day

Postby Ruthiepoos on Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:29 pm

Hope they don't ruin the South Bank Centre by putting a 'floating pavillion' on it and moving the skateboarders. I LOVE the look of the South Bank centre and they seem to think it's old and tired.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/mar/0 ... evelopment
I LOVE my TFC umbrella! :-)
Ruthiepoos
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby pinball on Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:34 pm

Ruthiepoos wrote:Hope they don't ruin the South Bank Centre by putting a 'floating pavillion' on it and moving the skateboarders. I LOVE the look of the South Bank centre and they seem to think it's old and tired.

That ain't my brother's lot, this is:

See ya Zaha Hadid! http://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/news ... 85.article

v proud brother, here, as you've probably guessed. And Glaswegians: take vicarious plaudits from the fact that he did his PG Dip at the Art College in your fair city...
"What's this?"
"What's what?"
"No. Who's who. But you were close"
pinball
"tom is a sex god" - Beyonce Knowles

Postby Ruthiepoos on Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:17 pm

pinball wrote:
Ruthiepoos wrote:Hope they don't ruin the South Bank Centre by putting a 'floating pavillion' on it and moving the skateboarders. I LOVE the look of the South Bank centre and they seem to think it's old and tired.

That ain't my brother's lot, this is:

See ya Zaha Hadid! http://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/news ... 85.article

v proud brother, here, as you've probably guessed. And Glaswegians: take vicarious plaudits from the fact that he did his PG Dip at the Art College in your fair city...

When I said 'they' I was referring to 'the man' in general, not your bruvver's good firm. I've had a look at your bruvver's stuff when you've put a link on here before and me likey!

Regarding the South Bank Centre though, I've come to love, as other 'Londoners' have, the look and air of the building and don't feel it needs improving aesthetically, although a refurb might be required. The proposed 'improvements' will forever change an iconic building that's become part of the London skyline.

That of course may be down to my reluctance to change. 'I HATE CHANGE' has become my accidental mantra over the last year, discovering a tv series I watch being cancelled, finding no guitars at all in the music room at Harrods (they previously had a beautiful overpriced selection that you could demo in their soundproofed show room then buy elsewhere cheaper) then finding they are getting rid of all musical instruments, the changes to the South Bank centre etc etc

But in my gut I feel the South Bank is fine the way it is.
Ruthiepoos
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby pinball on Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:47 pm

Totally agree.

haters gonna hate the likes of the southbank but it has an inherent integrity which is every bit as important to london as buck house (YUCK!) or the houses of parliamnent (LOVE!). a refurb/reglaze/clean might assist in it garnering a little more public affection.

but we should remember thatthe public, in general, is a dick.
"What's this?"
"What's what?"
pinball

Postby Devotchik on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:04 pm

Hayward Gallery needs it in my opinion and it'll mean folks are less likely to get themselves lost in the winding staircases and narrow pathways which can be a menace if you're on your own and at late at night.. it can be quite confusing at times to navigate plus the gallery needs more space to contend with the likes of the Tate Modern further down the Southbank towards the Globe theatre. It'll be good for the area and those that use it I think.. :)
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Devotchik on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:24 pm

pinball wrote:
Devotchik wrote:Rumour has it that a certain prolific bass guitar smashing musician / artist lives there but I haven't seen anything of him as yet. Close family used to live in Grove 70s n 80s and I have some friends who live in the blocks surrounding Trellick.. Been to a few shabeens there too.. There's another identical block also built by Goldfinger in the East end worth seeking out for those of a similar disposition as myself who like a bit of Brutalist architecture.

I also love Trellick Tower. The Ulster Museum is a brutalist masterpiece, recently fucked about internally by some idiots with no respect for its purity.

That said, have a look at the new Arts Centre/gallery/theatre my brother's firm designed which opened last year. Hints of brutalism here too. Lovley! Hall McKnight: coming to a city near you (if you live in London...)

Thats the MAC in Belfast is it not? Where is the London one going to be, or is it a secret? :-)

Theres an identical tower block to Trellick that Goldfinger built in the east end.. Balfron Tower.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balfron_Tower

Those are all listed (Goldfinger's blocks) and can't be fucked with, whereas the South Bank centre isn't listed..
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby pinball on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:13 am

Yeah - its the MAC.

The building they're doing in London is the redevelopment of the campus of Kings College shown above. Between the Strand and Somerset House, I think...
"What's this?"
"What's what?"
pinball

Postby ricv64 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:18 pm

:P

'what matchbook art school did you flunk out of, you ham-fisted, near-sighted, house painter?'-- C. Montgomery Burns
ricv64
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Devotchik on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:55 pm

pinball wrote:Yeah - its the MAC.

The building they're doing in London is the redevelopment of the campus of Kings College shown above. Between the Strand and Somerset House, I think...

Near the Courthald Institute? Nice.. Not far from the High Court either milud.. ;-)
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby pinball on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:04 pm

Devotchik wrote:
pinball wrote:Yeah - its the MAC.

Near the Courthald Institute? Nice.. Not far from the High Court either milud.. ;-)

Yup. I nearly studied at the Courtauld.

When I say "nearly studied", I mean applied to and got knocked back.
"What's this?"
"What's what?"
pinball

Postby Richard67 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:50 pm

Richard67
andouillette
andouillette

Postby ricv64 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:28 pm

^ bad composition though i know it was done on purpose :x

'what matchbook art school did you flunk out of, you ham-fisted, near-sighted, house painter?'-- C. Montgomery Burns
ricv64
currywurst
currywurst

Postby terjely on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:10 am

ricv64 wrote:^ bad composition though i know it was done on purpose :x

After she changed into something that blended more into the environment:
Teenage Fanclub collection:
http://folk.uio.no/terjelyn/
terjely
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby ricv64 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:38 pm

crop a bit of the bottom and narrow the format :roll:

ricv64
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Ruthiepoos on Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:58 am

Ruthiepoos
pepperoni
pepperoni

PreviousNext

Return to Message Board