Should we go to Mars?

Should we go to Mars in the next 30 years?

Poll ended at Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:37 am

Yes?
36%
No?
64%

Total votes : 11

Should we go to Mars?

Postby Nicene Creeder on Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:37 am

Should we go to Mars in the next 30 years?

I don't see a pressing need to go to Mars any time soon (the Earth is millions/billions of years away from being over populated), but I'd much rather see the military industrial complex spend their energies on concuring space than our neighboring countries. What do you do with all these super smart genius underused people? Have them design new weapons of mass destruction or provide effective space travel? We have too many smart people. We need to either start dumbing down society or give these people something noble to do or they will turn on the rest of us.

Moon colonization and then Mars, is Bush turning against the MIC? Looking out for the middle class? Looking for a bullet?
LAter

NC
Nicene Creeder
andouillette
andouillette

Postby Namni Nytram on Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:27 pm

The thing is, it takes 6 months to get there, 6 months to get back and a year to wait until Mars and Earth are close enough for the return journey. would you spend two years being bombarded by solar radiation without the protection of an ozone layer? i think not. it'll be another fifty years before this even becomes remotely possible.
"between here and that old car it's 25 paces. make them"

http://www.thisisnottv.co.uk
Namni Nytram
andouillette
andouillette

Postby First Paul on Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:31 pm

Why bother.. why not put the resource and money into something thats really gonna change the world :?
First Paul
mortadella
mortadella

Postby Rick.N.Baker on Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:35 pm

Why are they looking so hard at the possiblity of living on Mars? Is it because of the fear of running out of resources or what, I don't see the point in wasting billions on this project, the states have more pressing issues to be busying themselves with right now, like how to stop people getting on planes with bullets, amid their 'Top Security' operations at airports.
There is only one problem with the younger generation. Many of us no longer belong to it!

http://www.myspace.com/rick_n_baker
Rick.N.Baker
currywurst
currywurst

Postby tomfoolery's dad on Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:42 pm

I believe there was a similar debate in the 60s on the subject of why go to the moon? However, the Cold War and Space Race against the Russians meant that the US and the forces of freedom had to be first to land there.

Now the Chinese are getting involved, they've already launched a man into orbit and have a desire to embark on a manned mission to Mars. Sound familiar?
The best way to waste time is to fill it. If you can read this, congratulations on your Légion d'Honneur.Image
tomfoolery's dad
Lorne Sausage
Lorne Sausage

Postby First Paul on Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:51 pm

Its like these countrys are just big Ego's... "Lets see who can get to Mars first" Last one theres a big girl!
First Paul
mortadella
mortadella

Postby Rick.N.Baker on Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:53 pm

Apparently Bush said that he would like to land another man on the moon but it will take about 15 years. If they really did put man on the moon in 1969, should they not be able to undertake this feat a little bit sooner than 15 years, especially as they appeared to do it with such ease over 30 years ago and that technoloy is so much more advanced?
There is only one problem with the younger generation. Many of us no longer belong to it!

Rick.N.Baker
currywurst
currywurst

Postby tomfoolery's dad on Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:00 pm

Rick.N.Baker wrote:Apparently Bush said that he would like to land another man on the moon but it will take about 15 years. If they really did put man on the moon in 1969, should they not be able to undertake this feat a little bit sooner than 15 years, especially as they appeared to do it with such ease over 30 years ago and that technoloy is so much more advanced?

This might give you a clue as to how they managed it in the 60s...

NASA's Share of Total Federal Government Expenditures Since 1958 (click here)
The best way to waste time is to fill it. If you can read this, congratulations on your Légion d'Honneur.Image
tomfoolery's dad
Lorne Sausage
Lorne Sausage

Postby bithead on Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:13 pm

Rick.N.Baker wrote:Apparently Bush said that he would like to land another man on the moon but it will take about 15 years. If they really did put man on the moon in 1969, should they not be able to undertake this feat a little bit sooner than 15 years, especially as they appeared to do it with such ease over 30 years ago and that technoloy is so much more advanced?

Oh I thought Stanley Kubrick shoot that film! :lol:

not sure next 30 years. but poeple will land on Mars eventually someday in the furure, and see Martian!

another thing, Can we go to space trip while our lifetime?? I heard 1st commercial space trip is planning aournd 2030. maybe I can trip into the space when I get 60 or 70....
Youth is not a time of life, it's a state of mind.

http://teenagefanclub.jugem.cc/
bithead
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Namni Nytram on Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:18 pm

Rick.N.Baker wrote:Why are they looking so hard at the possiblity of living on Mars?

maybe it's easier than complyng with the kyoto agreement?
"between here and that old car it's 25 paces. make them"

http://www.thisisnottv.co.uk
Namni Nytram
andouillette
andouillette

Postby Rick.N.Baker on Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:20 pm

Namni Nytram wrote:
Rick.N.Baker wrote:Why are they looking so hard at the possiblity of living on Mars?

maybe it's easier than complyng with the kyoto agreement?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Probably is, probably is.

Rick.N.Baker
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Guest on Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:30 pm

First Paul wrote:Why bother.. why not put the resource and money into something thats really gonna change the world :?

My sentiments exactly FP. I don't believe we went to the moon either, but that's a whole different can of worms :D

Postby Gogz on Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:31 pm

Anonymous wrote:
First Paul wrote:Why bother.. why not put the resource and money into something thats really gonna change the world :?

My sentiments exactly FP. I don't believe we went to the moon either, but that's a whole different can of worms :D

That wiz me :oops:
And my favourite song's entitled "Boredom"
Gogz
pepperoni
pepperoni

Re: Should we go to Mars?

Postby Jonathan on Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:26 am

Yes

The Wright Brothers flew a 100 years ago.
It took a little over 50 years from then to put something into Earth orbit.
Just 12 years later (and 66 years after we learned to fly), we'd landed men on the Moon.
It's now 35 years later and we've still not topped that.

We've been talking about planned programmes for manned-landings on Mars since the 60s.
Isn't it about time we got on with it?
Jonathan
chipolata
chipolata

Re: Should we go to Mars?

Postby Jonathan on Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:38 am

Nicene Creeder wrote:I don't see a pressing need to go to Mars any time soon (the Earth is millions/billions of years away from being over populated),?

Earth's human population has increased by about 50% in 30 years. We've added 2 billion in that time.
At that rate, in a million years we will have a population of about 10,000 times what we currently have.
Might get a bit crowded long before then.

Nicene Creeder wrote:We have too many smart people. We need to either start dumbing down society or give these people something noble to do or they will turn on the rest of us.

You can NEVER have too many smart people!

Still if you do really believe in 'dumbing down society', it's nice to see that you're doing your bit... :wink:
Jonathan
chipolata
chipolata

Next

Return to Message Board