The Doors - Yes or No

Poll ended at Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:56 pm

Yes
75%
NO
25%

Total votes : 32

Postby First Paul on Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:13 pm

He Heh yeah lets piss Doug off and turn this into a T-Rex thread. I love 'Children of the Revolution' what a tune! :D
First Paul
mortadella
mortadella

Postby Guest on Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:19 pm

Ride a white swan and bang a gong are reasonable

Postby dougbrown93 on Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:06 pm

theres gonna be a murdur!!!

I never really got T Rex...good singles but whenever i ventured into album territory i didnt get it!

funny that....anyway....take it Cuba boys
:wink:
Hey Kids You Better Shape Up
Cos The Hits Are Always Gonna Hurt
dougbrown93
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Devotchik on Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:18 pm

new road wrote:morrison was a buffoon, but they made some great recordings...they sounded like a great group.

i think 'touch me' is my favourite too, did you see the footage from the ed sullivan show (?) where robbie krieger has the black eye? classic.

See the way Krieger tries to turn away from the camera? :lol:

I like the video for Moonlight Drive.. it obviously played an influence on Bono's 'The Fly' 8)

Moonlight Drive is my fav Doors tune. Nice to see Peace Frog get a few mentions and Love Street :D

Pamela's idea of a diet was to take H for ten days which kept her in a daze and stopped her eating. Sad the way she died all destitute, scagged and earning money from prostitution. Still, if she had of inherited Morrison's money then she would have just stuck it in her arm anyway. Patricia Keneally's book 'Strange Days' is a good read if you want to go for the romantic side of Morrison. She was the white witch who aborted Morrisons kid.
Devotchik

Postby Devotchik on Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:23 pm

dougbrown93 wrote:theres gonna be a murdur!!!

I never really got T Rex...good singles but whenever i ventured into album territory i didnt get it!
funny that....anyway....take it Cuba boys
:wink:

True. I always thought of them as an art outfit rather than a serious band. Ride A White Swan is a classic but if you hear the albums all the way through you'd think Bolan was trying to be the mantra'd pixie man of pop.. "they seek him here, they seek him there his clothes are loud but never square. He thinks he is a flower to be looked at. When he pulls his frilly nylon panties right up tight he feels a dedicated follower of fashion" and that's all Bolan was, a face who got his break not through talent but by being sharply dressed.
Devotchik

Postby dougbrown93 on Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:26 pm

Ive read Patricia Keneally's Strange Days and she didnt come over at all well in it. Especially if youve seen the extras to The Doors movie on DVD. She comes across like a nutty new ager with only the lightest grasp on reality....that was my taken on here anyway.
Hey Kids You Better Shape Up
Cos The Hits Are Always Gonna Hurt
dougbrown93
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby siobhan's dad on Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:33 pm

Tat wrote:True. I always thought of them as an art outfit rather than a serious band. Ride A White Swan is a classic but if you hear the albums all the way through you'd think Bolan was trying to be the mantra'd pixie man of pop.. "they seek him here, they seek him there his clothes are loud but never square. He thinks he is a flower to be looked at. When he pulls his frilly nylon panties right up tight he feels a dedicated follower of fashion" and that's all Bolan was, a face who got his break not through talent but by being sharply dressed.

Ooooh. Controversial. I vehemently disagree with the last comment there, Tat. Notwithstanding the hit singles, which were absolutely brilliant for their time (I was around then, and listening to "pop", they really were a breath of fresh air) and have stood the test of time as well, the two albums I mentioned earlier (Electric Warrior and The Slider) contain not a duff track between them. Indeed our very own faves on this here board covered "Life's a Gas". The T-Rex output from 71 thru to 73 was totally amazing. Forget the faded popstar malarkey of the last years of Marc's life, T-Rex 71-73 were numero uno, so much so that even David Bowie was in awe of Marc initially (not turning this into a Bowie -vs- Bolan thread, I love them both).

Agree to disagree and all that, but I couldn't let that style-over-substance comment pass unchallenged.
If this were the Seine, we'd be very suave;
But it's just the rain, washing down the boulevard.
siobhan's dad
kielbasa
kielbasa

Postby Devotchik on Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:46 pm

dougbrown93 wrote:Ive read Patricia Keneally's Strange Days and she didnt come over at all well in it. Especially if youve seen the extras to The Doors movie on DVD. She comes across like a nutty new ager with only the lightest grasp on reality....that was my taken on here anyway.

She's a writer of new age fiction.. how can someone not go through their memories (especially since she claims they were soul mates) without using a little bit of artistic license here and there to put some colour into those sepia tinted memories? So many different versions of Morrison flowing from each 'acquaintance' and by God that guy had plenty of them.. :roll: I'll use Jimmy Dean's self-descriptive quote for Morrison "bit of a tramp" :lol:
Devotchik

Postby Devotchik on Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:57 pm

siobhan's dad wrote:
Tat wrote:True. I always thought of them as an art outfit rather than a serious band. Ride A White Swan is a classic but if you hear the albums all the way through you'd think Bolan was trying to be the mantra'd pixie man of pop.. "they seek him here, they seek him there his clothes are loud but never square. He thinks he is a flower to be looked at. When he pulls his frilly nylon panties right up tight he feels a dedicated follower of fashion" and that's all Bolan was, a face who got his break not through talent but by being sharply dressed.

Ooooh. Controversial. I vehemently disagree with the last comment there, Tat. Notwithstanding the hit singles, which were absolutely brilliant for their time (I was around then, and listening to "pop", they really were a breath of fresh air) and have stood the test of time as well, the two albums I mentioned earlier (Electric Warrior and The Slider) contain not a duff track between them. Indeed our very own faves on this here board covered "Life's a Gas". The T-Rex output from 71 thru to 73 was totally amazing. Forget the faded popstar malarkey of the last years of Marc's life, T-Rex 71-73 were numero uno, so much so that even David Bowie was in awe of Marc initially (not turning this into a Bowie -vs- Bolan thread, I love them both).

Agree to disagree and all that, but I couldn't let that style-over-substance comment pass unchallenged.

Know what Dad? I honestly was thinking about how his career was heading at the time of his passing (I remember watching Bolan's shows and when he died) and I admit you're right about the 71 - 73 stuff :) Electric Warrior and The Slider (is that the one with the cover and back photos done by Ringo?) are goodun's but I guess I was thinking about one's like My People Were Fair And Had Stars In Their Hair which had loads of jumbled nonsense and chants on it.. Peregrine-Took's drug habit had possibly also started to show it's effects on Bolan? Maybe, but I will say I was thinking about the bloated, swollen, drunk & drugged up to excess pop star and not the talented slim lined swan riding slicked back 'face' - I still love that video to this day! :D
Devotchik

Postby MATT on Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:00 pm

Don't know an awful lot by them but like what I've heard, especially Roadhouse Blues.
Ready with ready wit.
MATT
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby WearsDenim on Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:37 pm

Sorry to rehash old threads but I brought The Best Of The Doors with me to work today as its been a while since I listened to them

Its fucking brilliant.

Here endith the lesson.
Just kick my feet off the ground, I'll embrace the sky
WearsDenim
chorizo
chorizo

Postby Guest on Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:07 pm

Marc Bolan had no talent tat? You talk PISH.

Previous

Return to Message Board