Yes
75%
NO
25%

Total votes : 32

The Doors - you decide!

Postby dougbrown93 on Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:56 pm

Simple question really Yes or No.

I think they (probably along with Queen - though i prefer the Doors) were and continue to be much maligned.
Personally though i think they were amazing. Not convinced about the new set up wit Astbury but Jim Morrison was a rock god in my opinion.

Fave album ALWAYS changed but LA Woman is my all time feel good album...it fukin rocks.
Hey Kids You Better Shape Up
Cos The Hits Are Always Gonna Hurt
dougbrown93
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Guest on Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:14 pm

I think they were a good band. I love soft parade. I hate doors fans though...apart from dougbrown93. :wink: they tend to be hung up on the morrison malarky more than the music..don't they. weird bunch

Postby G.P. on Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:15 pm

I'd have to sit on the fence with the Doors. I love so much of their music but some of it does my head in. QUEEN on the other hand are amazing. My Wife just got me QUEEN'S Greatest Hits, all three volumes for £11.99 and already I've gone out and bought Queen 2, A Day at the Races, A Night at the Opera and my next purchase will be Sheerr Heart Attack. I've heard it and it's amazing. Volume 3 of the hits is absolute shite though.

You have to check out early Roxy Music folks.

G.P.
I'm not always right but I'm not always wrong either.
G.P.
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Devotchik on Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:19 pm

Edited to say:
Fucking cool Doug 8) , thats what I meant to say but my emotions came into overplay when I realised somebody else liked them as much as me and I might have babbled incoherently.. a bit.. a tad.. :roll: :lol:

Queen's Hammer To Fall was a tune and the soundtrack they did for Highlander made the film more enjoyable 8)
Last edited by Devotchik on Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Devotchik

Postby Rick.N.Baker on Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:19 pm

I love the Doors, don't do the Morrison thing. I can't abide Queen, it does my head in, but each to their own of course.
There is only one problem with the younger generation. Many of us no longer belong to it!

http://www.myspace.com/rick_n_baker
Rick.N.Baker
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Andy C on Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:23 pm

I thought Jim Morrison was incredibly cool when I was a teenager. Ah, youth ...

The Doors were one of the most pretentious bands ever, and would be irredeemable, were it not for the FACT (copyright Siobahn's Dad) that they made a lot of fantastic music. Don't listen to them much these days as I only have their stuff on vinyl. Break On Through, People Are Strange, The Crystal Ship, Roadhouse Blues, Riders On The Storm, Five To One

Couldn't imagine going to see them now with Ian Astbury. Not even if they were playing up my local and there was free beer.
Andy C

Postby dougbrown93 on Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:26 pm

Anonymous wrote:I think they were a good band. I love soft parade. I hate doors fans though...apart from dougbrown93. :wink: they tend to be hung up on the morrison malarky more than the music..don't they. weird bunch

i have to admit i used to be one of the poeple you hate sir.
I had the big posters....i wanted to be morrison...i bought American Prayer (which i still love). Ive even been to Pere Lachaise.....to see Oscar Wildes grave .... honest!!! (actually there is truth in that as you know my Crowley interest...Aleister Crowley devised a stunt to steal a golden butterfly from Oscar Wildes monument as the french insisted it be installed to hide the genitals of the impressive angel like figure which is his tomb. Crowley proudly returned to London and visited his friends weith the butterfly covering his genital area!!! Great story that!!!)

I think Morrison is much maligned by some pompous types which say there was no worth in his poetry. Some will even argue it wasnt even poetry...id argue it was. Art (as we ALWAYS argue about) is one of the most subjective things in our world today. I honestly don't think he is given the proper recognition and has turned into just another Dead Rock Star!

As for Queen GP...my mate patchwaldron is a mega fan and i think we agree on Sheer Heart Attack being one of their best albums.

My childhood albums were Beach Boys - Smiley Smile, Pink Floyd - Meddle and Queens - Night At The Opera.
Again, i dont think they are given the rtecognition they deserve buy Brian May has done fuck all to try and counter that.....fukin arse in clogs he is...Boy bands and dodgy solo efforts are nothin in comparison for the sheer diregard to Queens (and Freddies legacy). They should stop now!!

phew!
dougbrown93
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Drives Being Lazy on Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:38 pm

For me its a big yes! I love the doors they were one of the first bands/artists that sent me backtracking through old classics.Top 5 songs(For today) Riders On The Storm , LA Woman , The Crystal Ship , Love Street and When The Musics Over.I like all the albums for different reasons but i would say the Debut is the most consistent(No fillers) and Strange Days is also a fave 8)
Drives Being Lazy

Postby matzerath on Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:45 pm

I'm a bit love/hate with the Doors. I remember when I was younger they were one of the first bands that made me think 'what the fuck's that?'
I was intrigued because I didn't initially know what their songs were about and I liked that, but then like people have said those over-reverent Doors fans are really very irritating and often miss the fact that Morrison was half the time taking the piss. Chief among these annoying Jimbo-worshippers is Oliver Stone and even over a decade later 'The Doors' is still probably the very worst film I've ever seen. Morrison's own pretentiousness magnified a thousand times. I think it was the line 'You're a poet not a rock star,' that finally made me vomit into my popcorn bucket. (Although Meg Ryan did make a rather fine-looking hippychick. :D )
Ultimately though, Indian Summer and PeaceFrog and Break On Through and quite a few others are just great songs.
There's a very good, quite faithful cover of Indian Summer on the Dean Wareham and Britta Phillips album.
it's a long walk home / but I've found my beat
matzerath
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby chocolate creme on Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:21 pm

For me the Doors are a big NO (and I'm not saying this simply to be controvertial!). I used to really like them, and I do think they had a couple of good tunes, but for every good tune there are half a dozen shite ones. Morrison Hotel is quite a good record, but the equation applies there also.

Good Song - Indian Summer, Peace Frog

Bad Songs - The spy (I mean, fur fuck's sake...), You Make Me Real, Land Ho! , Maggie McGill.

It is, of course, my opinion. :wink:
The last time we saw you, you looked so much older, your famous blue raincoat was torn at the shoulder...
chocolate creme
andouillette
andouillette

Postby WearsDenim on Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:32 pm

Good to hear someone mention Peace Frog, their best tune not on the Best Of. My fave of theirs is probably "Love ME Two Times" though, thats just a beauty.

I'm in the "music is great, Morrison is wank" camp. They have some great tunes, no doubt, but could have done without all the Mr Mojo Rising shit.
Just kick my feet off the ground, I'll embrace the sky
WearsDenim
chorizo
chorizo

Postby James from RICKY on Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:17 pm

Absolutely love them.

Fave tunes off the top of my head...

Crystal Ship
Tell All The People
Not To Touch The Earth
Peace Frog
20th Century Fox
Changeling
James from RICKY
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Meeeee :) on Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:21 pm

A super fine yes from me too for The Doors.
through good and bad my heart's my badge
Meeeee :)
chipolata
chipolata

Postby dougbrown93 on Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:51 pm

this is panning out as i thought...those who dont like them REALLY dont like them....

bet youd get a similar one for Queen.

i wonder who else?
dougbrown93
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Gogz on Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:35 pm

Gonna sit on the fence on this one as I haven't heard enough of their stuff to form a proper opinion. I remember seeing the film with Val Kilmer as Morrisson - don't know how accurate that was but he came over as a bit of a dick. Still, without them there would probably have been no Bunnymen so I guess they'd get a thumbs up from me for that alone.
And my favourite song's entitled "Boredom"
Gogz
pepperoni
pepperoni

Next

Return to Message Board