album of the day

Postby Guest on Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:19 am

Hendrix-Live at the filmore east (disc 2)

Postby Alienboy on Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:52 am

The Lilys - Eccsame the Photon Band
Alienboy
chipolata
chipolata

Postby First Paul on Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:03 am

First Paul
mortadella
mortadella

Postby elfis on Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:19 am

'pieces of a man' - gil scott heron
(his dad played for the celtic, you know)

a smashing christmas present for your record collection? 8)
elfis

Postby Ponyboy on Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:30 pm

Super Furries - Phantom Power

There's been so much good stuff recently, this one's been neglected a bit...
Stay Gold
Ponyboy
mortadella
mortadella

Postby george best on Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:32 pm

small planes

the innocence mission
can you hear those ringing bells?
george best
hot dog
hot dog

Postby ken-y on Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:46 pm

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Greendale. Odd album, but I saw the show in Sydney 2 weeks ago and it makes much more sense now.
Ken from Gosford
ken-y
chipolata
chipolata

Postby matzerath on Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:35 pm

ken-y wrote:Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Greendale. Odd album, but I saw the show in Sydney 2 weeks ago and it makes much more sense now.

have to dig that out again - played it for a couple of days when I got it but not at all since, and it's not left a great impression on me

I've trying to get into the new Azure Ray, 'Hold On Love' but fear the bigger production has made a littler album, so I've gone running back to my trusty old vinyl Bandwagonesque - bleedin' magic!
it's a long walk home / but I've found my beat
matzerath
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Georgia on Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:37 pm

elfis wrote:'pieces of a man' - gil scott heron

:? ...I went to see him about 10-12 years ago and it was one of the most riveting performances I've ever seen. At the time, I didn't know much about him, so I'm sure I didn't fully appreciate it. Too late, I realized that I missed a very recent opportunity to see him again. Coincidence that he wrote a novel called The Vulture and we have a vulture who sometimes visits this space?

Anyway, today I would recommend everyone ask Santa for one of these:
Georgia
mortadella
mortadella

Postby televised on Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:24 pm

Georgia wrote:

:? ...

The Guardian, Saturday November 29, 2003 wrote:

Gil Scott-Heron's dad was the first black footballer to play for Celtic. Yes, Glasgow Celtic. Yes, Gil Scott-Heron the poet and jazz funk musician from Jackson, Tennessee. Wrote The Revolution Will Not Be Televised. Recognised as one of black America's most relevant cultural voices. Did the voice over in those "you know when you've been Tango'd" adverts.

A man with that many improbable aspects to his life needs a documentary made about him.

footballculture.net wrote:Giles Heron
One of the first black players to play in Britain, Giles Heron became the first Afro-Caribbean player to play first team football for Celtic.
Heron scored on his debut, a 2-1 win against Morton during the 1951-52 season and was quickly bestowed the nicknames "Black Flash" and "Black Arrow".
Born in Kingston, Jamaica in 1922, Heron played as centre forward for the Jamaican national team as well as playing for the American club side Detroit Corinthians. On a North American tour he was spotted by a Celtic scout and later signed for the Glasgow club in 1951.
At a time when Scottish football was notable for its physical nature, Heron soon struggled - as one local newspaper put it: "lacking resource when challenged." The writer Phil Vasili notes that Heron was criticised in Glasgow for "being unable to transfer his pugilistic tenacity" (Heron had previously been both an athlete and a boxer). He was released barely a year later and signed for Third Lanark.
Heron also played for Kidderminster Harriers before returning to play for his original club, the Detroit Corinthians, where his son, the acclaimed jazz musician and poet Gil Scott Heron, was born in 1949. Shortly before Giles Heron's son visited Scotland recently to promote his new book "The Last Holiday," a local journalist asked about his father's experiences of playing football in Glasgow.
Despite Heron's relatively brief spell at Celtic, it is apparent that Giles Heron Sr still retains fond memories of his time in Scotland. "My father still keeps up with what Celtic are doing. You Scottish folk always mention that my Dad played for Celtic," said Scott-Heron, "it's a blessing from the spirits! Like that's two things that Scottish folks love the most; music and football and they got one representative from each of those from my family!"
It has become a tradition of studious Gil Scott-Heron fans to show up at his Glasgow shows in the green and white hooped shirt of Celtic. "There you go again," said Gil Scott-Heron jokingly, "once again overshadowed by a parent!"
However, before the directors of Glasgow Celtic can think about inviting him to attend a match at his father's former club, Heron declared, "Personally I support Rangers and I'm going to wear my Celtic scarf and Rangers hat when I come over!"
Mike Lee, November 2001

err, feel free to ignore the last sentence. :wink:
televised

Postby the vulture on Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:07 pm

Georgia wrote:

:? ...I went to see him about 10-12 years ago and it was one of the most riveting performances I've ever seen. At the time, I didn't know much about him, so I'm sure I didn't fully appreciate it. Too late, I realized that I missed a very recent opportunity to see him again. Coincidence that he wrote a novel called The Vulture and we have a vulture who sometimes visits this space?

i didn't know that. thanks georgia.
the vulture

Postby Guest on Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:27 pm

Georgia wrote:

Good album Georgia. Wave is a good song. There's a Ryan Adams connection here as Ryan does backing vocals on a couple of track and AE did backing vocals on Strangers Almanac album by Whiskeytown. I hope AE is doing well with his illness. He's a great singer.

Postby Georgia on Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:57 pm

televised wrote:err, feel free to ignore the last sentence. :wink:

Ah, that one's gotta hurt. Thx for the background. Small world, and all.

Vulture, if you ever read The Vulture, remember to come back and give us a review. It's supposed to be good, but I haven't read it myself.

guest above wrote:Wave is a good song.

Possibly my favorite track on it, not only for the song, but the atmospheric strings and pedal steel are great. The credits read like a who's who...Mitch Easter, Chris Stamey, even Mac and Jon from Superchunk. Good stuff. Something about Rhapsody I really love too.
Georgia
mortadella
mortadella

Postby jingle bell on Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:26 pm

tighten up - jingle bell & the drells

stocking filler ? 8)

jingle bell

Postby tomfoolery's dad on Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:43 pm

Drowning By Numbers - Michael Nyman

It's in my top 10 albums ever, list fans. Highly recommended.
The best way to waste time is to fill it. If you can read this, congratulations on your Légion d'Honneur.Image
tomfoolery's dad
Lorne Sausage
Lorne Sausage

PreviousNext

Return to Message Board