Is (was) Nirvana shite?

Is (was) Nirvana shite?

Poll ended at Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:48 pm

No - Kurt was a genius
22%
Yes - all check shirt and no substance
17%
Yes - shouldn't stolen More Than a Feeling!!
4%
No - they were not shite - I liked them.
57%

Total votes : 23

Is (was) Nirvana shite?

Postby Terry on Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:48 pm

Is (was) Nirvana shite?
Last edited by Terry on Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terry
chipolata
chipolata

Postby First Paul on Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:51 pm

I can't vote because I liked Nirvana but I don't think Kurt was a genius.
First Paul
mortadella
mortadella

Postby Maui on Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:56 pm

i think he was musically a genius... can't judge his other side, i'll leave it to those who knew him.
Maui Image
Maui
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby dougbrown93 on Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:56 pm

First Paul wrote:I can't vote because I liked Nirvana but I don't think Kurt was a genius.

Ditto....
I dont think they were great but they were alright.
Hey Kids You Better Shape Up
Cos The Hits Are Always Gonna Hurt
dougbrown93
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Guest on Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:58 pm

He was never a bear, which is good.

Postby MATT on Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:42 pm

I think when someone like that dies it becomes imposible to review the music objectively (see also Lennon's uneven solo career). I think they were ok but incredibly overrated. Been dying to say that for ages!
Ready with ready wit.
MATT
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby MATT on Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:03 pm

Next thread - grunge was shite - discuss!!!! :D :D :D

Problem I have with Nirvana is all the crap bands who imitated them, there is a great quote by Stuart Maconie saying to get on the front of Melody Maker or NME in the early 90's all you needed to do was be American, noisy, wear a check shirt and abstain from shampoo.

And the same kiddies running round in Nirvana hoodies today in many cases also like Blink 182, Marilyn Manson and other such shite.
Ready with ready wit.
MATT
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby zaxxon on Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:15 pm

Listening to them today it's tough to see what all the fuss was about. But when I was a 16 year old skate rat, I would have died for that band.
All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
zaxxon
chipolata
chipolata

Postby i hate scotland on Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:58 pm

Nirvana didn't sound like the other grunge bands like Soundgarden, Alice in Chains etc. Grunge was essentially just a modified version of 80's hair metal. Same length widdly-widdly solos, same amount of hard drugs :roll:
When you're tired, and there's nothing in your head
When you're tired, and feel like going to bed,
Write what you're thinking, and you'll find,
You've left a special message behind.
i hate scotland
chorizo
chorizo

Postby gobbledygeek on Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:21 pm

I remember the incredible excitement I felt when I first heard Teen Spirit. And within a day or two I overheard some people at work listening to Nevermind and I was blown away by every song. I learned how to play barre chords thanks to the Nevermind cheatbook.

I wonder if I heard them for the first time today whether I would even like them; either the glurb of imitation bands has sorta killed the genre or maybe my tastes have changed. Still, at the time they were one of my favourite bands. But that was a looong time ago...
In a hundred years you and I will both be dead.
gobbledygeek
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Guest on Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:23 pm

first time I heard polly and about a girl on a peel session on the radio, I was scrambling about looking for a tape. It was immediate..really great music does this to you..he was a genius in my eyes .....nevermind.

guy

Postby Georgia on Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:42 pm

To me, they were nothing more and nothing less than a good band, a cut above most of the other stuff in the mainstream at the time. So, option #4 gets my vote.

I can definitely understand why they appealed so much to people who were maybe high school or jr. high aged around that time. The mainstream was full of bloated glam-metal bands trying to hang on for dear life. Guns N' Roses was about the only other gritty sounding band I can remember that was getting really major media attention. People wanted something different and Nirvana was there. And if you were at a point in your life where you're looking for some music to connect with or reflect some of your own youthful discontent, they were perfect. I can see why they meant so much to so many in the first place. KC's suicide just amplified it ten-fold for those fans and the legend just keeps getting bigger. They probably have fans now who aren't old enough to remember them when they were around, just like I'm not old enough to remember the Beatles.

Anyway, Bandwagonesque was released the same year Nevermind was, and BWE appealed to me far more. Maybe if I'd been 15 or 16 at the time, it would have been the other way around. I dunno.
Ain't lost yet, so I gotta be a winner
Georgia
mortadella
mortadella

Postby retlivdead on Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:50 pm

zaxxon wrote:Listening to them today it's tough to see what all the fuss was about. But when I was 16 I would have died for that band.

My thoughts exactly. although the unplugged album / show is as magical today as it was 10 years ago.

I'm kind of happy Kurt shot himself cos I love the Foo Fighters!!
retlivdead
andouillette
andouillette

Postby louis payne on Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:35 pm

Retlivded,
shoot yourself,moron.
louis payne

Postby retlivdead on Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:03 pm

louis payne wrote:Retlivded,
shoot yourself,moron.

No cos I'm not an overprivileged whining Rock Star junkie who made a few great records then decided he had suffered enough for his art and blew his brains out leaving a wife and child.... sorry but even though i loved Nirvana people like Cobain will never get any sympathy from me cos he had the money and resources to walk away from his life in the spotlight, something that many people with real problems could never do.
there are three dead children in the news at the moment who were real victims. I'll reserve my sympathies for them and their families.

anyway it was nearly 10 years ago get over it!!!
retlivdead
andouillette
andouillette

Next

Return to Message Board