45%
of course, the guy is great
45%
nah, he sucks
9%

Total votes : 11

obscure music

Postby Narodnaia Volia on Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:22 am

i'm tired of the everyday music so i'm in search of some obscure stuff. Any suggestions?

i just found out that Gordon Gano released a solo album in 2002...but he apparently sing only a few songs there rest are sang by others. Does anyone heard of this album?
Last edited by Narodnaia Volia on Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Maui Image
Narodnaia Volia
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby the viaduct on Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:26 am

maher shalal hash baz.
the viaduct

Postby the viaduct on Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:29 am

sorry misread thread. duh!

thought you were looking to discover something new and i could be big hero by introducing maher shalal hash baz.

they have no connection with violent femmes or gordon gano.
the viaduct

Postby Narodnaia Volia on Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:30 am

you haven't misread it... i AM looking for obscure stuff... the gordon gano thing was just something i found out while seaching for good unknown stuff
Maui Image
Narodnaia Volia
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Ponyboy on Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:33 am

Have you heard the Loose Fur album [Jim O'Rourke & 2 pals]? Not super obscure but pretty far-out.

I've got an obscure CD of Calabrian folk songs, mostly about the n'dranghetta or mafia called 'Canto di Malavita'. I stick it on when I need a break from rock and soul and whathaveyou. It's funny - the music's really beautiful, loads of mandolin and accordion, but the lyrics are all about being in jail and torturing police informers :shock:

If you want some really obscure stuff check out the free CD on the front of the current issue of The Wire magazine... we chipped in for it at work today. Some crazy tracks with the odd gem popping up from time to time.

Be prepared to skip a couple of song and question if your stereo's working properly! :lol:
Stay Gold
Ponyboy
mortadella
mortadella

Postby Narodnaia Volia on Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:43 am

hey viaduct, maher shalal hash baz is geographic, isn't it? i read a review but didn't help, can you tell me more about it.

Ponyboy, do the calabrian folks sing in italian? must be amusing, that's for sure. Heard of Loose Fur as well, never heard the music tho
Maui Image
Narodnaia Volia
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Ponyboy on Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:51 am

Yeah it's Italian, but a fairly strong dialect. I'm sure you'd understand most it... it's all stuff like 'the shotgun makes a bang / the informer screams and dies'. It's sounds much nicer in Calabrian though :lol:
Stay Gold
Ponyboy
mortadella
mortadella

Postby FeKin LiAr on Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:05 am

N.V wrote "of course, they guy is great"

What do it mean, ............"they guy" :?: :roll:
Maybe a question for Paco or his amigo :o
A LIE TRAVELS HALFWAY ROUND THE WORLD
IN
THE TIME IT TAKES THE TRUTH
TO HAVE A SHITE(-Winston Churchill-)

You know that I could have me a million more friends
and all I'd have to lose is my point of view

FeKiN LiAr
FeKin LiAr
chipolata
chipolata

Postby TimJ on Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:18 am

all i've heard is the one he did with PJ harvey. it's okay.

I could be wrong, but I think he's about as obscure as bread and jam
I know I'm not usually a praying man, but if you're up there, please Superman, help me!
TimJ
chipolata
chipolata

Postby TimJ on Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:31 am

been thinking.

try searching out the Ukranian folk songs the Wedding Present did, they were fantastic. They did release a mini album (10") from memory years ago, but I'm sure it would've been re-released in some other format by now. can't remember what name they released it under, could be something crazy like 'The Ukranians'. I've got a recording of a couple of Peel sessions they did, so maybe there's some stuff available through 'Strange Fruit'.

found it.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004WN29/qid=1065573573/sr=1-23/ref=sr_1_2_23/202-0403068-6287846
I know I'm not usually a praying man, but if you're up there, please Superman, help me!
TimJ
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Georgia on Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:19 am

Don't know the album, but it's probably worth checking out. Might do so myself as Amazon is listing new copies from $5.50. Samples sound pretty good.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ct-details
Ain't lost yet, so I gotta be a winner
Georgia
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Paul_Kelly on Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:03 am

TimJ wrote:been thinking.

try searching out the Ukranian folk songs the Wedding Present did, they were fantastic. They did release a mini album (10") from memory years ago, but I'm sure it would've been re-released in some other format by now. can't remember what name they released it under, could be something crazy like 'The Ukranians'. I've got a recording of a couple of Peel sessions they did, so maybe there's some stuff available through 'Strange Fruit'.

found it.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004WN29/qid=1065573573/sr=1-23/ref=sr_1_2_23/202-0403068-6287846

Much as I love The Wedding Present and nearly everything they ever did, I find The Ukranian Peel Sessions to be near unlistenable. How do I get into it?!
Paul_Kelly
chipolata
chipolata

Postby TimJ on Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:13 am

err, well, um I guess you either like it or you don't. I only know as much as I've got, which is a couple of peel sessions on tape. Believe me, it's not something I have on heavy rotation, just for that odd moment when you fancy something different, much like golden syrup dumplings.
TimJ
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Guest on Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:01 am

Paul_Kelly wrote:
TimJ wrote:been thinking.

Much as I love The Wedding Present and nearly everything they ever did, I find The Ukranian Peel Sessions to be near unlistenable. How do I get into it?!

Mondo Bizarro! I'm the opposite. I remember when this came out I didn't like TWP, but loved this. Especially the one that sounds like 'Those were the Days' :D

Diff'rent strokes... :wink:

Postby Ponyboy on Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:03 am

That was me, loving the Ukranian shit, forgot to log in :oops:
Stay Gold
Ponyboy
mortadella
mortadella

Next

Return to Message Board