In order they were released
No votes
the other way (please post)
33%

Total votes : 24

how to sort your cd collection

Postby aly on Thu Oct 02, 2003 5:19 pm

Things to do on your birthday
1) sort out your cd collection cos i can. Bit bold but I thought a poll might be in order. Very High Fidelity I know.
Mficha uchi hazai - one who hides his private parts will never have a child
aly
andouillette
andouillette

Postby dougbrown93 on Thu Oct 02, 2003 5:25 pm

You REALLY should have consulted tom before posting this.
you clearly dont have all the valid combinations favoured by the anal record collector.

ps and Georgia will have LOTS to say bout it too!!!!

Your missing A-z on surname and band name then in order of release then with cd singles in order of release.

did i just admit that?
Hey Kids You Better Shape Up
Cos The Hits Are Always Gonna Hurt
dougbrown93
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby captain_america on Thu Oct 02, 2003 5:26 pm

I like Rob Gordon's Biographical arrangement but for purely practical purposes I have to go for Pseudo Alphabetical....sorted once a year and then left to mix and mingle into a more 'natural order'
...note to invading aliens, avoid this town like it has avoided us...
captain_america
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Sam I Am on Thu Oct 02, 2003 5:36 pm

Call me anally retentive but i still have my cd's the same way they are filed in a Virgin stockroom......az but seperate departments for singles, artist albums, various artists albums, soundtracks and classical.

I used to comes to blows with an ex of mine that used to file people under their christian name and not their surname......

(and before u ask I did work for Virgin for 5 years)
Last edited by Sam I Am on Thu Oct 02, 2003 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Green eggs and ham? BLEEEUUURRRGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sam I Am
chipolata
chipolata

Postby zaxxon on Thu Oct 02, 2003 5:37 pm

I sort them alphabetically, but I separate 2 stacks from the main rack, the local band ghetto, and the jazz ghetto.

Rack space is a precious thing, and bad local bands and jazz records I never listen to get bounced first in the event of a dearth of space.
All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
zaxxon
chipolata
chipolata

Postby dougbrown93 on Thu Oct 02, 2003 5:40 pm

i also seperate bootlegs out into different racks and i have a special shelf for my jap mini lp sleeve imports .

nice!

right im off now....cyall
Hey Kids You Better Shape Up
Cos The Hits Are Always Gonna Hurt
dougbrown93
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Gogz on Thu Oct 02, 2003 5:43 pm

I'm strictly an alphabetical order sort of guy myself, apart from freebies
like Uncut CDs which I tend to put at the very end.

Incidently, if you're also an alphabetical person, which artists come before
and after Teenage Fanclub in your collection ? With me its Talking Heads and Television.
Gogz
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Georgia on Thu Oct 02, 2003 5:43 pm

I'm going to assume A-Z refers to artist, not title. That would just be insane, especially because I don't even know the titles of half of what I have. I file by format, then by artist A-Z for 12"s and CDs (full length or single/EP) only. Don't have enough 7"s to be bothered filing them in any particular order. :shock: Within an artist's section, I don't bother alphabetizing by title. Used to, but I got too lazy. V/A compilations are filed at the end in no particular order. Another :shock:. All soundtracks (even if v/a comps) are filed by title. Bootlegs go in with the regular releases.

...and of course, they're all dutifully logged in my database.
Ain't lost yet, so I gotta be a winner
Georgia
currywurst
currywurst

Postby bithead on Thu Oct 02, 2003 5:47 pm

never sort CDs,it's just on my floor,desk,bedside...everywhere in my room.it's too much work for me.so I get lost everytime I search some of them...

maybe it time to do it.so I would sort in music genre like punk,guitar pop,techno.of couse I'll make TFC section!

bithead :D
Youth is not a time of life, it's a state of mind.

http://teenagefanclub.jugem.cc/
bithead
currywurst
currywurst

Postby lakshmi on Thu Oct 02, 2003 5:58 pm

by genre and by family tree.....i try to keep bands that have some connection close together!! it gets complicated.
lakshmi
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Devotchik on Thu Oct 02, 2003 6:06 pm

Modern stuff I just file a - z by band name (I don't file any band starting with THE under T) and the oldie stuff I tend to file by family tree, so I have two racks of cd's (the vinyls get hidden away so the kids don't use them as frisbee's) :D
Devotchik

Postby aly on Thu Oct 02, 2003 6:18 pm

it's official, there is a bunch of music perverts just like me out there. :) Some interesting twists on the traditional a-z although bithead's piles would get me down. I'm only doing the cd's at the moment, although I have built my vinyl shelves (including 7" pockets) and the day will come soon enough. I have discovered a Kula Shaker album with stain and no cover which i am willing to put up for a prize, I will let you know my choice at the end of the poll. :wink:
Mficha uchi hazai - one who hides his private parts will never have a child
aly
andouillette
andouillette

Postby Gazz on Thu Oct 02, 2003 6:30 pm

Just voted 'The other way':

Cos' I have cd's on different levels of my house, and keep my favourites on one particular floor. I also have hidden away my signed/valuable recordings!

Other than that I do not keep in any alphabetical order..but 'know' where a certain cd is lying. This is getting more difficult by the month, so maybe I will have 4 sepaerate collections/put in alpha order/keep in albums & singles sections when I get around to it! :wink: :roll:
Gazz
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby futoko on Thu Oct 02, 2003 7:37 pm

the following applies to cd's only (excluding box sets which have their own section for packaging with abnormal sizes) as i've gotten rid of most of my cassettes and vinyl.

first, albums are separated into genres. this can be a bit tricky sometimes, as bands do sometimes release things in different genres. however, i group everything by a band within their main/chief genre. these genres are self-defined by me. within each genre, things are organized a-z by artist/band name. surnames, of course; none of this first name nonsense. i ignore the article "the" as well (the beatles, the thrills, etc.). next, within each artist/band category grouping, the albums are separated into release type: albums, singles, and bootlegs/non-official stuff. within each release type, albums are ordered by release date. and there it is.

i also maintain an excel spreadsheet (updated with each purchase) with information such as year of release, country of origin of band, genre, format (cd, mp3, cassete), and other information.

sweet.
futoko
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Guest on Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:09 pm

aly wrote:Some interesting twists on the traditional a-z although bithead's piles would get me down.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Next

Return to Message Board