BEATLES

Early or latter Beatles

Early Beatles for me...
32%
No I prefer later Beatles stuff..
68%

Total votes : 22

Postby tomtom on Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:24 pm

the real collectable fabs stuff are the early mono on yellow parlophone and if you can find a gold parlophone your in the £100s. indian 78s are very collectable as well.
" SUCKIN' DIESEL, SUCKIN' DIESEL "
tomtom
Lorne Sausage
Lorne Sausage

Postby vantage firebird on Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:40 pm

I think you do need three categories.

I've always thought of everything up to and including Help as being early Beatles as they are all sort sort of similar and kind of like the same band improving all the time.

My favourite album from this period is Hard Day's Night - worthy of note as the only Beatles album where every song is by Lennon/McCartney. There's so many great tunes on it, a personal favourite being You Can't Do That which I think Lennon was actually pretty critical of later on.

Also, of the 13 songs on Hard Day's Night, I'm reasonably sure 10 were by John Lennon - a pretty amazing statistic when you think of McCartney's contributions to the last few Beatle albums.

For me, Rubber Soul and Revolver don't sit too comfortably in either early or late Beatles not only because of when they were made but the sound on these albums.

George Harrison himself says on Anthology he thought they could have been a double album they sound so similar. I also think it's these albums that establish them as geniuses - there were hints of it on Help with I've Just Seen a Face and Ticket to Ride but on Rubber Soul there's a hatful of classic Beatle songs - Drive My Car, Norwegian Wood, Nowhere Man, Michelle, In My Life - you get the idea.

Revolver speaks for itself - just over half an hour of some of the greatest three minute pop songs ever written.

However, Revolver is definitely a 'normal' album in that it pretty much followed the template of previous Beatles albums in simply presenting a bunch of the best of their new songs.

As everyone knows, Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band pretty much wrote the book on how bands make records today.

It's ground-breaking approach definitely represented a departure for the Beatles and as such I would consider it the beginning of their 'late' period.

The rest (White Album, Let it Be, Abbey Road, Yellow Submarine (if you can call that a Beatles album) and the cobbled together - but nonetheless excellent - Magical Mystery Tour) is history.

So, in summary, er, I don't know which is my favourite period. They all rock.
vantage firebird
kielbasa
kielbasa

Postby pinball on Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:00 pm

Hey Fireburd, cheers for that. For posterity I think there was a thread on the old board where we all did out top 5's.

Mine change but it'd probably be:

Rubber Soul
Revolver
Abbey Road
Help
White Album
"What's this?"
"What's what?"
"No. Who's who. But you were close"
pinball
mortadella
mortadella

Postby vantage firebird on Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:07 pm

I fucking love The Beatles. It's bizarre how my favourite band is the most successful of all time while most others i like barely scrape into the top 40.
Last edited by vantage firebird on Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vantage firebird
kielbasa
kielbasa

Postby sister ray on Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:08 pm

Bloddy hell. Mr firebird says almost exact, every thing I was about to say and more. :D
sister ray
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Elektra on Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:27 pm

Spot on Vantage.. :D

You Can't Do That was a bside to Can't Buy Me Love which was the first Beatles 7" I inherited.. and a classic tune which I prefered to the a side :)
Elektra
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby gobbledygeek on Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:46 pm

I don't have any Beatles albums but they did tie for first for most songs (about 8 I think) on my Some Fucking Cool Songs* (*From Albums I Don't Already Own) collection. They tied with Rush. Ha ha.
In a hundred years you and I will both be dead.
gobbledygeek
chipolata
chipolata

Postby MATT on Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:57 pm

We have the original mono single of Love Me Do at home, plus With The Beatles, Help, Sgt Peppers and Let It Be on original vinyl. Keep meaning to get a valuation but never do.....
Ready with ready wit.
MATT
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby James from RICKY on Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:50 pm

I love 60s guitar pop, and love The Beatles' more straightforward pop as well as their more innovative and psychedelic work.

I also think thst they were the best covers band ever too.

Sorry for not answering the question properly!
James from RICKY
chipolata
chipolata

Postby tomtom on Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:18 am

ok so aside from revolver, what else have the beatles ever done for us ?
tomtom
Lorne Sausage
Lorne Sausage

Postby pinball on Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:26 am

I've got an original pressing of HELP in mint(ish) condition. It ain't for sale.
"What's this?"
"What's what?"
"No. Who's who. But you were close"
pinball
mortadella
mortadella

Postby Guest on Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:52 pm

Great summary of my fave band Mr Fireburd.
Revolver is unbeatable in an unbeatable career.
Abbey Road almost deserves categorising on its own as it started the 70s in 1969, if you know what i mean.

Postby kaybee on Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:53 pm

"The White Album" is an all round classic, it is my favourite. When it comes to The Beatles, however, there wasn't a bad album. FACT!
keith frae livvy,
"mama dont cry for me, I'm working in a food factory"
kaybee
andouillette
andouillette

Postby tomtom on Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:24 pm

ok aside for the white album, what have the beatles ever done for us ?
tomtom
Lorne Sausage
Lorne Sausage

Previous

Return to Message Board