Dislike
38%
Liam's a wanker
12%
Noel's a ned
4%

Total votes : 26

Postby siobhan's dad on Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:24 am

Narodnaia Volia wrote:Recently Noel said that all that talk about fair traide from the coldplay guy was a pain in the arse.

The Coldplay guy is a pain in the arse. And Noel did actually play an acoustic set at the event Coldplay couldn't turn up to for "Make Trade Fair" (I know Chris Martin turned up solo).
If this were the Seine, we'd be very suave;
But it's just the rain, washing down the boulevard.
siobhan's dad
kielbasa
kielbasa

Postby Narodnaia Volia on Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:31 am

Matthew wrote:He is only saying what he thinks in response to a question ! Why is it trying to impress the media ?....it is just his opinion.:

if he really think that people should get aids and die, then is reason enough for me not to like him.

siobhan's dad wrote:The Coldplay guy is a pain in the arse. And Noel did actually play an acoustic set at the event Coldplay couldn't turn up to for "Make Trade Fair" (I know Chris Martin turned up solo).

I know... how hypocrite is that?! What was he talking about then when he said that chris martin was a pain for talking about 'make trade fair' and then going there to 'help' him? Noel just wanted to be polemic again so people would remember his existence when he said that.... like when he said about blur...
Stop being a pick and doing some decent songs would be most welcome.
Maui Image
Narodnaia Volia
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Salacious Crumb on Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:32 am

Hello there

I'm new around here but I like Oasis. I like Teenage Fanclub better though.
Salacious Crumb
chipolata
chipolata

Postby MATT on Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:32 am

I'd suppose I like them. Here's why.......

When Definitely Maybe came out, I didn't like music, owned no records and was fed up of hearing bland crap on the radio. Along with others of that time, they opened my eyes to what was out there, I would never have investigated Smiths/Roses/Neil Young/TFC/Hendrix/Stones or anyone else if they hadn't kickstarted my enthusiasm for music. I don't think they're the greatest band ever, but they came at the right time and opened many people of my generation's eyes to alternative music, again along with Blur etc.

Liam is still a wanker but a great singer with the ability to camouflage a dodgy song with the conviction of his vocals.

True, they haven't released much that's been decent since 1995, but the early b-sides were always good and The Masterplan is probably their second best record.
Ready with ready wit.
MATT
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby george best on Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:35 am

original version of columbia on the b-side of the supersonic single is superb

time and place

acquiesce is quite good too

then they started to sound like status quo...which is never a good thing
can you hear those ringing bells?
george best
hot dog
hot dog

Postby pinball on Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:35 am

Aye, and he didn't try to make himself out to be Mother Theresa either, like pompous Chris. Anyway, some of the Fair Trade "brands" have might a right few fuck ups in their time too, from what I have read.

Wishing AIDS on anyone is neither acceptable nor smart. But Blur were always too smart for them and it was about the best he could muster. No excuse.

I saw an interview recently where he was talking about his daughter wanting to hear "Fookin' S Club fookin' 7" and how he said he'd lock her in her room with his Beatles CDs and if she "still fookin' wanted to hear fookin' S Club fookin' 7 after that then fookin' fair fooks to her".
"What's this?"
"What's what?"
"No. Who's who. But you were close"
pinball
"tom is a sex god" - Beyonce Knowles

Postby MATT on Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:41 am

Agreed. Musically, Blur on a different planet, and have been since 97.
Ready with ready wit.
MATT
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Narodnaia Volia on Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:09 pm

MATT wrote:I don't think they're the greatest band ever, but they came at the right time and opened many people of my generation's eyes to alternative music, again along with Blur etc

Oasis an eye opener for indie music? That's shocking news to me...
Blur came at least 5 years before them and were pretty well know in brazil around 1992, followed by Radiohead in 1993. Oasis plunged into the scene that was already happening and to my opinion screwed it up big time. It became too big for its own good (the scene).

Pinball, don't give much for Chris Martin, but i don't think that supporting something like fair trade makes anyone Mother Theresa. It's a good cause and he is right in talking about it... wish more famous people would support this kinda projects.
Maui Image
Narodnaia Volia
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby tonsils on Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:13 pm

MATT wrote:Liam is still a wanker but a great singer

great vocalist
not great singer
tonsils

Postby pinball on Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:39 pm

Narodnaia Volia wrote:
MATT wrote:Pinball, don't give much for Chris Martin, but i don't think that supporting something like fair trade makes anyone Mother Theresa. It's a good cause and he is right in talking about it... wish more famous people would support this kinda projects.

I buy Fair Trade but the number of companies who have closed their fair trade arm/brand down through poor management on the ground is unreal. The same as many charities in that respect - either they don't have the know how, they spend too much on admin (up to 80%??) or they abuse their position for personal gain, which is what has happened in the case of some fair trade operators, unfortunately.

And by the way I think trying to confirm Blur with Oasis is like trying to compare Mozart with Gilbert & Sullivan.
"What's this?"
"What's what?"
pinball

Postby Narodnaia Volia on Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:43 pm

pinball wrote:And by the way I think trying to confirm Blur with Oasis is like trying to compare Mozart with Gilbert & Sullivan.

lol
big blur fan?
Maui Image
Narodnaia Volia
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby pinball on Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:49 pm

Big but not really massive. I think they are superb innovators who knock Radiohead's sorry arses into a cocked hat.

Love the new LP, by the way, was listening to it at a BBQ round my wee brother's (he will be known henceforth as boink) gaff on Saturday.
"What's this?"
"What's what?"
pinball

Postby retlivdead on Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:54 pm

Liam's the only true rock n roll star we have who can tap in to the mainstream and wind certain people up if he wasn't around who would we have??? Chris Martin??, James Walsh??, Robbie Williams?? the one with the big eyebrows from Busted????

I can completely underatand why he gets up people's noses but to me he's never really changed, still the working class lad from a council estate.... and he's a true legend for it!!!
retlivdead
andouillette
andouillette

Postby vantage firebird on Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:56 pm

Definitely Maybe is a sensational record and like so many modern-day bands they still have yet to top their debut.

I think Noel's ok and I'm sure he has at least one more great album up his sleeve.

Liam is supposed to have said a few years back that Be Here Now sounded a lot like Dark Side of the Moon which is pretty wide of the mark obviously.

I don't get the Beatles comparisons though. I think they sound nothing like each other.

How do Cigarettes and Alcohol, Shakermaker, Columbia, Bring it on down etc sound like The Beatles?

Also hated All Around the World. Shouldn't try to improve on Hey Jude as it's impossible.

Their I am the Walrus cover is great though.
vantage firebird
kielbasa
kielbasa

Postby Narodnaia Volia on Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:57 pm

i liked blur since i first heard 'there's no other way' in 1992. They were one of my top 10 bands for a long time buy after 1996 i didn't make much of their albums.
Hubby bought the new single today and we haven't listened to the new album... i liked what i heard of live performances on telly so far.
Maui Image
Narodnaia Volia
pepperoni
pepperoni

PreviousNext

Return to Message Board