Dislike
38%
Liam's a wanker
12%
Noel's a ned
4%

Total votes : 26

Postby vantage firebird on Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:01 pm

Narodnaia Volia wrote:i liked blur since i first heard 'there's no other way' in 1992. They were one of my top 10 bands for a long time buy after 1996 i didn't make much of their albums.
Hubby bought the new single today and we haven't listened to the new album... i liked what i heard of live performances on telly so far.

They've got some good songs although in terms of wankery damon albarn outdoes noel and liam put together.
vantage firebird
kielbasa
kielbasa

Postby Narodnaia Volia on Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:14 pm

vantage firebird wrote:How do Cigarettes and Alcohol, Shakermaker sound like The Beatles?.

t-rex rip off more likely

While Lian is being pathetic doing nothing but speaking crap (no wonder people punch him in the face) Damon's being pathetic doing some good music... so in the wankery scale i think he is lot less wanker than Lian or Noel.
Maui Image
Narodnaia Volia
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby MATT on Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:03 pm

[quote="Narodnaia Volia"]
Oasis an eye opener for indie music? That's shocking news to me...

They were for me and my mates at that time, along with Blur, Radiohead etc, as they were the first group of bands that we were old enought to get into and really appreciate as ours, as we wre a bit young for Smiths/Stone Roses etc And the fact that so many bands broke through into the mainstream at that time got many people younger than me interested in music.

Suppose it's like the Strokes or someone now. I think they're quite good but not earth-shattering and nothing that's not been done before, but if I was 14-15 I would think them amazing (unless I owned Marquee Moon!)
Ready with ready wit.
MATT
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Elektra on Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:16 pm

Damon was using heroin and Liam's never touched it.. see who the bigger wanker was? :D (check out the britpop edition of Mojo where the beans were spilt by Justine Frischmann about her and Damon's addictions)
Elektra
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Guest on Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:50 pm

I've met them and I like them and I like their music. Thumbs up for Oasis 8)

Postby DELBOY on Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:52 pm

that last message was me!!!!!!!
DELBOY
andouillette
andouillette

Postby db93 from Wiltshire! on Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:20 pm

Nipping on the farmers 386 to post this..i just had to

Oasis crucial to rock/popular culture?
Only if you want to thank them for inspiring hoardes of insipid, regurgitated and bland bands who picked up on their formula and sold it to the masses. You could name loads but i think the hydroponics and c**dplay and s***sailor will suffice.

You can also thank them for the concept of Ned Rock which has led to T in the Park being NedStock. Easy really since they can all relate to Liams (and, at times) Noels attitude to music, people and life in general.

If you like all that then .... carry on.

If, like me, you dont then im sure you see the connection anyway.

1st album was alright, Wonderwall and the one from The Royale Family are classics....thats it im afraid.

Right ...back to the harvest.
L8r
doug
93 93/93 (so you know it is me!)
db93 from Wiltshire!

Postby Gazz on Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:40 pm

Oasis 1st 2 albums were good. Fact!

Last year in Brighton they were poor, Noel acted like a stroppy tosser on stage went off twice in a huff cos' the audience dared sing along to Wonderwall, yet I always though Liam was the tosser? Re: Liam that gig was about the 1st/2nd since he had his teeth knocked out in that nightclub brawl with mobsters.

Damon Albarn was absolutely out of his tree - pissed when he performed down here....guess this behaviour comes with the territory of thinking you are a great act. :roll:
"The world is very blue, and becoming bluer with every passing year"!
Gazz
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby rockin neddie on Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:13 pm

I think that if oasis got what brownringster lables neds into liking bands and guitar music. well that's good in my view. No-one here's said doug can't like tfc because he's was/is a sad goth....cheer up doug..have an irn bru. Ned Rock is in your head. music is for everyone.. even the working class and exgoths.

as for oasis, they've had some good songs. I'm not a big fan of the band, but some people here can't see passed insipid shite like the charlatans and new order etc and have the cheek to say oasis are crap, old hat, copyists. Now that is silly in my book.

they seem like ok blokes. I dont believe the tabliod opinions on them and dont give a fuck what they get up to and neither should you.
rockin neddie

Postby James from RICKY on Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:45 pm

I absolutely love Oasis. They completely altered my life.

Okay, it's TFC (and consequently The Byrds, Brian Wilson and CSN) who influence my music, but it was Blur and Oasis in 1994 - the start of the Britpop movement - who originally turned me on to guitar-based pop.

I've even got Definitely Maybe's logo tattooed on my chest as recognition of what that record did to my life.

I love the Gallagher brothers. They were my first non-footballing idols.
James from RICKY
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Guest on Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:24 pm

I agree with the majority of you that the first two records were good.
Noel is a top bloke, incredibly funny and very tongue in cheek.
Liam is Liam a complete twat but highly entertaining.
The one biggest component in the sucsess of oasis was their early marketing. Alan mcghee and creation deserve alot of credit.
I never play oasis anymore and have not bought any of their albums since the masterplan. I listen to the new stuff they bring out hoping they can re create some of that early magic...But it aint gonna happen!!
Council eatate kids can only produce music with an edge when they are hungry. Liam & Noel are far to rich & fat these days I'm afraid.

Postby dogonwheels on Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:40 pm

I used to absolutely love them. They were just the right band at just the right time in 1994 and they did give the music industry the kick up the arse it needed. I was with them from very early on and used to look forward to every new release eagerly. When a band is on that kind of form and you already know you are going to love all the tracks on the B sides before they even came out. I already had Supersonic and Shakermaker and heard that the next single was Live Forever. I can still remember hearing it on the radio the first time. After the first few seconds I knew it was the new single and the hairs on the back of my neck were standing on end. I can remember rushing into town the day it came out as soon as the shop opened. I got Definitely Maybe the day it came out and saw them that week at The Hacienda for an album launch gig. The tickets were £7 originally and I paid £25 outside ( I bet the stub would sell for more than that on Ebay one day). I saw them again at Manchester Academy the day before Whatever came out. One of the best nights ever. The hottest band in the country at the peak of their power. Went to the club night over the road afterwards and later on while walking up Oxford Road Noel and his girlfriend were walking on the other side hailed a black cab which stopped just where we were stood. He came over and shook all our hands and thanked us for coming to the gig.
The records just kept coming, Some Might Say another four classic tracks.
I even met Liam at Manchester Airport once. I had gone to pick my mum and dad up off holiday. I went with my auntie to get them and I think the flight was delayed for about an hour so we ended up parking the car and going for a drink and then waited in the arrivals part. I saw Liam sat there and new it was him so I just went up and said hello. He was surprisingly very friendly and pleased to talk as I was so interested in what the band were up to next. I must have spoke for about ten minutes before he had to go but he shook my hand and was very pleasant.
Up till early 96 I would have to say they were my favourite band but things just changed and I can see Wonderwall as the turning point. They just didn't seem the same after that. They just became too big, too arrogant and not my band anymore.
After this came Be Here Now which no one really could admit to loving. Without the ridiculous amount of guitar overdubs underneath there is a few pretty good tunes but every track is so overloaded that it is ridiculous.
With each and every new release I just found myself disliking them more and more and being more drawn to the likes of SFA, B+S, GZM etc.
I saw them again at Bolton reebok Stadium a few years ago as someone had a spare ticket. I've never seen a band going through the motions as much. The ground was full of complete knob heads rolling around in pools of their own vomit and I just thought I don't want to be a part of this anymore.
I saw them on TV the other week and they just sounded like a pastiche. Liam's voice has gone terrible. Their interviews with Noel are still interesting and funny but I think now Liam just comes across as a bit of a tit. Maybe you just grow out of things. I will probably play the first two albums and the early B'sides occasionally for a bit of nostalgia but I don't think I'll be to bothered about hearing any new material.
Your obsession gets you known throughout the school for being strange, making lifesize models of The Velvet Underground in clay.
dogonwheels
andouillette
andouillette

Previous

Return to Message Board