RIP Leonard Cohen

RIP Leonard Cohen

Postby Nicene Creeder on Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:42 am

So many great songs, and he was still going strong at 82.

I discovered him in 1985 when by brother picked up Lloyd Cole's Rattlesnake's album (by the way a great album) came out.
LAter

NC
Nicene Creeder
andouillette
andouillette

Re: RIP Leonard Cohen

Postby Devotchik on Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:30 am

Gosh.. Think I saw some comedy show making jokes about his songs being so depressing and only good to cut your wrists to which put me off for a very long time and then out of the blue years later I took a gamble, bought Songs of Leonard Cohen and fell in love. His letter to Marianne back in July kind of hinted at something coming close as well as being so eloquently written. Dylan was right when he said “When people talk about Leonard, they fail to mention his melodies, which to me, along with his lyrics, are his greatest genius” - I guess melody and meter go hand in hand.

Farewell Captain Mandrax..

Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Gene_Clark on Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:55 am

First heard him aged 12 when my older cousin gave me an old CBS compilation album, "The Rock Machine Turns You On," which included "The Sisters Of Mercy." I immediately fell in love with his voice & the sparsity of the sound. Over the next couple of years I got all the early albums, alongside products that expressed my love for Dylan.

Then punk happened & the frankly baffling "Death of a Ladies' Man" stopped me in my tracks, as did Dylan's "Slow Train Coming." Never bought any subsequent product by either of them, but will adore until my grave the work they produced from 66-74 & 63-78 respectively.

Incidentally, other than Velvet Crush's take on "Everything Flows," my favourite cover version of all time is The Jesus & Mary Chain's go at "Tower of Song."
El Jodido Payaso de Mierda: pathetic moaning old bastard whose interests include Newcastle Benfield FC, UK Alternative rock band Teenage Fanclub, Literature, Ultra Left Wing Politics, Real Ale & scoring goals for Wallsend Boys' Club Over 40s.
Gene_Clark
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Nicene Creeder on Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:08 pm

I would recommend Leonard's 1992 album The Future.
And if you take some time, Bob has a lot of good tunes since 1979, 2 to 4 songs per album through 2012, which can be ranked among his best (that's 34 years of output you've missed).

Gene_Clark wrote:First heard him aged 12 when my older cousin gave me an old CBS compilation album, "The Rock Machine Turns You On," which included "The Sisters Of Mercy." I immediately fell in love with his voice & the sparsity of the sound. Over the next couple of years I got all the early albums, alongside products that expressed my love for Dylan.

Then punk happened & the frankly baffling "Death of a Ladies' Man" stopped me in my tracks, as did Dylan's "Slow Train Coming." Never bought any subsequent product by either of them, but will adore until my grave the work they produced from 66-74 & 63-78 respectively.

Incidentally, other than Velvet Crush's take on "Everything Flows," my favourite cover version of all time is The Jesus & Mary Chain's go at "Tower of Song."
LAter

NC
Nicene Creeder
andouillette
andouillette

Return to Message Board