Page 1 of 1

So how was Chicago?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:07 pm
by Nicene Creeder
Talking about last nights gig, not Clayton Kershaw putting the mojo on Cubs bats.
Saw the set list on faceback.

Re: So how was.Chicago?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:48 pm
by Georgia
Awesome, naturally. :D So, no surprises in the set list, but why mess with what works, right? Very tight and well delivered. Can't remember any notable banter or false starts. Maybe someone yelled out for Gene Clark ( just give up, OK?). It was sold out, which was great for them. Not oversold, which was great for us watching. The venue is cool, located just west of downtown. It wasn't as loud as I thought NYC was, but that might be just because I'd acclimated by then. Met up with familiar faces - Holly, Karen, Jim, CMA, another friend and fan who does not post here, plus JWhipp and Kinky Wizard - good to meet those gentlemen for the first time. Had a great night - we got booted out of the venue bar at 2 after 2 hours of post-show socializing. Still recovering. :oops: Not a spring chicken anymore, me. But, my arm was twisted into going to Madison tomorrow. OK, it was more my pinky finger was twisted and not very hard. Too close not to take a drive up there on a nice fall day.


PS. Go Cubs.

Re: So how was.Chicago?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:23 am
by Nicene Creeder
Have fun in Badger town. Glad to hear you had fun last night.

Nice start in the 1st for the Cubs tonight. I've got a Wrigley shirt on today...



Georgia wrote:Awesome, naturally. :D So, no surprises in the set list, but why mess with what works, right? Very tight and well delivered. Can't remember any notable banter or false starts. Maybe someone yelled out for Gene Clark ( just give up, OK?). It was sold out, which was great for them. Not oversold, which was great for us watching. The venue is cool, located just west of downtown. It wasn't as loud as I thought NYC was, but that might be just because I'd acclimated by then. Met up with familiar faces - Holly, Karen, Jim, CMA, another friend and fan who does not post here, plus JWhipp and Kinky Wizard - good to meet those gentlemen for the first time. Had a great night - we got booted out of the venue bar at 2 after 2 hours of post-show socializing. Still recovering. :oops: Not a spring chicken anymore, me. But, my arm was twisted into going to Madison tomorrow. OK, it was more my pinky finger was twisted and not very hard. Too close not to take a drive up there on a nice fall day.


PS. Go Cubs.

Re: So how was.Chicago?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:36 pm
by Georgia
The Cubs! Not much of a baseball fan, but it's great for the city and the longest suffering fans in baseball. The Dodgers fan in our house isn't too disappointed.

Re: So how was.Chicago?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:11 pm
by JWhipp
Pretty incredible show, evening, weekend. Loved the venue and the pre-show meet-up with a great group of people. I wouldn't have complained if it was a bit louder. Incredibly cool crowd that sang along (and on key!) throughout the show... even the new songs.

Recovered in time to take in Game 6 at Wrigley. Not the result or effort I had hoped for but fun to be a part of history. Sat next to a life long Cub fan (and his young son who kept score the entire game) who was really shaken to the core after the game-inning double play. Pretty amazing night. Forgot to plan our exit. As we were leaving Wrigley, one of the ushers looked at my Dodger hat and said "you guys gonna be ok?" It was pretty intense... must have offered congratulations and hi-fives to hundreds of Cub fans. Made it out alive.

First Chicago visit ever. Helluva town!

JW

Re: So how was.Chicago?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:51 pm
by Georgia
Wait til next year, Jody, as the Cubs fans would normally say. Wrigley is a nice place to spend a few hours. Glad you escaped without harm. That usher typifies the friendly Chicagoan, so I hope you'll come back and visit us again one day. :D

Re: So how was.Chicago?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:54 pm
by ricv64
Georgia wrote:The Cubs! Not much of a baseball fan, but it's great for the city and the longest suffering fans in baseball. The Dodgers fan in our house isn't too disappointed.


A Dodgers fan ? life must be rough :roll: GIANTS !!!!!! :P

Re: So how was.Chicago?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:22 am
by Nicene Creeder
If it's not the Red Sox, then the Dodgers are it. Then it defaults to A's, Angels, all other AL teams, except for the other AL east teams, then the Cubs. Second to last: Giants. Last: Yankees.
That means go Indians!
:D

Re: So how was.Chicago?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:42 am
by JWhipp
That silly "even year" crap is over so I'm not complaining.

Re: So how was Chicago?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:57 am
by Nicene Creeder
Congratulations Cub fans. 108 years to win another World Series. Now you have your Championship. Sweet!

The new record goes to the Indians. 69 years and counting, Cleveland (at least you have the Cavs).

Image

Re: So how was Chicago?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:45 am
by clubFan
Well done Cubs. The whining stops now. All is good on da Northside.

And as was pointed out above Cleveland did have an NBA championship thus year. Don't be greedy, Buckeyes.

Re: So how was Chicago?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:04 am
by karen chicago
Amazing the Chicago Cubs winning the World Series and going all the way to Game 7. What a game too - so many roller-coaster ups & downs. http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/news/world-series-2016-chicago-cubs-cleveland-indians-extra-inning-rajai-davis-chapman-zobrist-bryant/15hx0uija33je1ntlxkmaw3243
".....this historic game approached, a contest that would end with one franchise finally ending its drought — either the Cubs snapping their 108-year drought or Cleveland snapping its 68-year drought." The game was Epic!
I grew up 2 miles west of Wrigley Field. Went to High School less than a mile from the ball park and my male classmates where chosen to be Bat Boys.
I can say I attended games with Ron Santo, Ernie Banks, Ferguson Jenkins & Don Kessinger. Grandstand seats were less than $5.00 and this is before lights, Fridays was Ladies Day and entrance was FREE. It's been a long journey for many Chicagoans many never lived to see this happen. Thank God we no longer have to hear about a Curse, a Goat and "Wait until Next Year" ever again!

Re: So how was Chicago?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:34 am
by Nicene Creeder
The problem with winning is that there is always a price. Forget about Ladies Day, it's now Ladies Night and it costs $100 to get in (if you reserved a year ago). Forget about just walking up and buying a ticket, now every seat is owned by corporations (thank you TD Ameritrade). That's the curse. When the Angels won the World Series in 2002, corporate America (thanks Disney) went beserk. All the prices went through the roof and it became the hottest sports ticket in town for a decade. Joe Maddon is a class act as manager. The Cubs could not have a better guy leading their clubhouse. But check out the hat he's sporting on the field in Cleveland after game 7? It's his dad's Angels cap. Good luck Cubbies.

Image

karen chicago wrote: I grew up 2 miles west of Wrigley Field. Went to High School less than a mile from the ball park and my male classmates where chosen to be Bat Boys.
I can say I attended games with Ron Santo, Ernie Banks, Ferguson Jenkins & Don Kessinger. Grandstand seats were less than $5.00 and this is before lights, Fridays was Ladies Day and entrance was FREE. It's been a long journey for many Chicagoans many never lived to see this happen. Thank God we no longer have to hear about a Curse, a Goat and "Wait until Next Year" ever again!