Someone is trying to disuade me from visiting Scotland...

Someone is trying to disuade me from visiting Scotland...

Postby sensei on Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:58 pm

A longtime friend, who has traveled the world over, is telling me that I would be wasting my time by visiting Scotland. I want to go because it's part of my heritage, but also some of my favorite bands are from Scotland. He tells me that it's too cold and dark. He also tells me the cities are drab and there is a lot of poverty. I can deal with the cold and darkness, I'm used to it. I still can't see how that should deter me. Plenty of people visit Scotland, and make return visits. Can anyone recommend some 'must-visit' places in and around Edinburgh? And maybe some other places in Scotland, too. What would be the best time of the year to visit Scotland, or does it really matter?
Earth below us..
Drifting falling..
Floating weightless..
Calling calling home..
sensei
chipolata
chipolata

Re: Someone is trying to disuade me from visiting Scotland..

Postby gerryboy on Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:05 am

sensei wrote: Can anyone recommend some 'must-visit' places in and around Edinburgh?

Glasgow.
gerryboy
hot dog
hot dog

Postby Ruthiepoos on Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:06 am

In and around Edinburgh? Er, Glasgow?

I would say avoid Winter as it might be too windy or rainy, but it's like that right now!

There is lots of poverty all over the world including places people like to visit on a regular basis. So I'm not sure what they mean by that. Glasgow and Edinburgh are both lovely. There are gorgeous places to visit in and around these cities. You MUST visit.
I LOVE my TFC umbrella! :-)
Ruthiepoos
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby steviegiro on Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:51 am

I would also recommend Glasgow to visit.

Probably doesn't really matter what time of year you come along.
The weather is always a bit pot luck.
Like the Muslims in the Middle East it'll either be Shiite or Sunni
steviegiro
andouillette
andouillette

Postby duglas on Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:36 pm

I think Edinburgh is a great city to visit, it looks beautiful and unique but Glasgow is the musical heart of Scotland and where most of that stuff is happening.
DUGLAS
duglas
currywurst
currywurst

Postby bluflower on Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:40 pm

I visited on my own in May 2009 and despite forgetting to let everyone know here, which would have made the visit all the greater, I had an absolute blast.
I met up with some people I knew just online via social media and from listening to their radio program or podcast. On top of that, I was "adopted" by others when I showed up for two nights of the Darvel music festival on my own.

I hope to go back for a visit as soon as possible, but the universe has been conspiring against me in regards to finances.
Go and you will have a great time! :D
without music, I'd be dead.

http://www.facebook.com/spincycleshow/
Spin Cycle on the air at WERA, wera.fm every Tuesday 10am-Noon EST
bluflower
hot dog
hot dog

Postby Rosario FC on Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:16 pm

Maybe this Tourist info film will help you out

absolute belters they cunts
Rosario FC
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby steviegiro on Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:42 pm

Had never seen that before - brilliant !

:D
steviegiro
andouillette
andouillette

Postby Alex H on Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:50 pm

I've travelled around Europe and Scotland is one of my favourite countries, Edinburgh one of my favourite cities. I haven't been to the Western coast or Hebrides either, and they look incredible. Head into the Scottish Highlands if you can.

Weather-wise, unpredictable, but I'd say the best time is likely to be September, as the worst of the summer storms and midges are likely to be past, and the days will still be warm(ish) and long enough.
NotTheCakes.bandcamp.com "Usually lighthearted and fun, but occasionally dark...like The Clash tickling Spandau Ballet and accidentally beheading them."
(Also on Spotify)
Alex H
chipolata
chipolata

Postby sensei on Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:12 pm

Ruthiepoos wrote:In and around Edinburgh? Er, Glasgow?

I would say avoid Winter as it might be too windy or rainy, but it's like that right now!

There is lots of poverty all over the world including places people like to visit on a regular basis. So I'm not sure what they mean by that. Glasgow and Edinburgh are both lovely. There are gorgeous places to visit in and around these cities. You MUST visit.

Oh.. you are saying Glasgow? That goes without saying. I was looking for recommendations on must-visit spots in and around the area.
Earth below us..
Drifting falling..
Floating weightless..
Calling calling home..
sensei
chipolata
chipolata

Postby cJam on Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:54 pm

Around Edinburgh? is the centre not enough for you then?

Roslyn Chapel's a good visit, the Forth Bridge, the Royal Yacht Britannia & Leith, the Botannic Garden, Musselburgh, Crammond Island, North Berwick, probably a load other places too ...

The Halfway House and The Oxford Bar are great pubs to visit, if that's your thing.

Could do something similar about Glasgow actually, a few years ago I was in this bar near Central Station & a guy walks up "ey you, you're from Doncaster right?". Correct. Nice guy.

There's all this b*ll*cks about Scottish v English, never had that problem, but being from Yorkshire I also want to be independant from London Village :lol:
"It'll be difficult-difficult-lemon-difficult. "
http://www.soundclick.com/SleeplessBeachMusic

cJam
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Alice on Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:42 pm

Just got back last week from my first visit to Scotland, more precisely - Edinburgh! I loved it!
It's was a short visit, so I didn't get round to see more from the Edinburgh area.
People/locals were nice and polite - even the bus drivers!
They all seemed to have patience for lost tourists, to give directions and such!
Also, the staff at pubs - very friendly! It is now summer, so I guess the city wasn't that dark!
Sunsets were at 10 pm, which is very unusual for an Eastern European like me.
Even though I am not a typical tourist, I did visit some of the city's most popular tourist attractions,
but I also did wander round on my own. I also bought daily tickets for the bus and see where it takes me,
what was the last station. I rented a room on Leith Walk, just few steps away from the Pilrig Church,
which was all right, as it was possible to walk to the city center. Edinburgh is really beautiful and
I loved the fact the city wasn't crowded with people and lots of tourists bumping to each other!

I am now planning another trip, maybe Edinburgh again, but Glasgow definitely will be my next destination
in Scotland!

So, I highly recommend you visit!

:)
Alice
andouillette
andouillette

Postby AndyinLiverpool on Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:51 am

gerryboy wrote:
sensei wrote: Can anyone recommend some 'must-visit' places in and around Edinburgh?

Glasgow.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
AndyinLiverpool
chorizo
chorizo

Return to Message Board