Grand Prix - 20th anniversary

Grand Prix - 20th anniversary

Postby musicmurray on Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:52 pm

Grand Prix is 20-years old in May!

What are your highlights and memories from this incredible album?
Attachments
tfcgp.jpg
tfcgp.jpg (20.37 KiB) Viewed 6181 times
so you get older every year
but you don't change
or i don't notice you changing
musicmurray
hot dog
hot dog

Re: Grand Prix - 20th anniversary

Postby Nicene Creeder on Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:10 am

My memory of this album was made six plus months before it was released, November 1994. TF played the Roxy theater. Sammy was the opening act. TF's set was solid. But what stood out for me was a new song (I'd never heard it before) they played, Don't Look Back. For me, that song with it's start to the finish is one of the best RnR songs ever. It was probably the first time they played it live and it has been etched in my memory ever sense. It would be like hearing "Like A Rolling Stone" for the first time. The guys at the now defunct Go Boy Records in Redondo Beach set me up with the vinyl version of the album with the bonus 7". Hey, and what about all those LA area restaurants/bars, Norms, Loves (no longer), ..
LAter

NC
Nicene Creeder
andouillette
andouillette

Postby musicmurray on Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:15 pm

Thanks for sharing that memory.

I have a 7-inch by Sammy - a brilliant song called Babe Come Down.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh32Ws0d-8s[/youtube]
but you don't change
musicmurray
hot dog
hot dog

Postby kurt on Fri May 29, 2015 3:54 pm

Released on this day, May 29th 1995. Happy anniversary to a wonderful and timeless album.
kurt
chipolata
chipolata

Postby musicmurray on Sat May 30, 2015 8:22 am

but you don't change
musicmurray
hot dog
hot dog

Postby El Macca on Sat May 30, 2015 3:37 pm

Love this album... never more than a couple of months pass by before it's dug out for a blast.

Kinda hoped for a " Bandwagonesque / Don't Look Back Series " live full album run through to celebrate this anniversary ... there's still time, The Barras at Christmas boys ?

We had a very drunken afternoon out my mates back garden one sunny summer day not long after it came out - where just that album was played from start to finish continuously all day 8)
... it's no easy.
El Macca
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby valtteri3 on Sat May 30, 2015 4:59 pm

Nicene Creeder wrote:My memory of this album was made six plus months before it was released, November 1994. TF played the Roxy theater. Sammy was the opening act. TF's set was solid. But what stood out for me was a new song (I'd never heard it before) they played, Don't Look Back. For me, that song with it's start to the finish is one of the best RnR songs ever. It was probably the first time they played it live and it has been etched in my memory ever sense. It would be like hearing "Like A Rolling Stone" for the first time. The guys at the now defunct Go Boy Records in Redondo Beach set me up with the vinyl version of the album with the bonus 7". Hey, and what about all those LA area restaurants/bars, Norms, Loves (no longer), ..

was brendan or paul drumming?
violent cities, silent kitties
valtteri3
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Alex H on Sat May 30, 2015 8:55 pm

I remember wanting it for months (maybe a year) after reading a review or seeing it in a greatest albums list, but nowhere stocked it. Eventually I found it at a record fair at uni in about 1999 or 2000. It was quite cheap, about £7.

It quickly became one of my favourite albums of all time, and led me on to other great bands like Fountains of Wayne.
NotTheCakes.bandcamp.com "Usually lighthearted and fun, but occasionally dark...like The Clash tickling Spandau Ballet and accidentally beheading them."
(Also on Spotify)
Alex H
chipolata
chipolata

Postby tarastew on Sun May 31, 2015 2:11 am

I still remember where I bought the record, a little store in Berkeley called Mod Lang. It was prominently displayed and I was blown away when they put it on in the store. The first eight songs are as strong as any rock record ever made. I've probably listened to Don't Look Back 1,000 times.
tarastew
chipolata
chipolata

Return to Message Board