Love & Mercy

Love & Mercy

Postby Richard67 on Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:09 pm

Looking forward to this but can't help but wonder about the casting; Paul Dano seems perfect as the younger Brian but John Cusack as the older version?
Richard67
andouillette
andouillette

Re: Love & Mercy

Postby Rosario FC on Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:14 pm

Wow......I'd seen this trailer (but without any sound), and I couldnt work out who John Cusack was playing :?
absolute belters they cunts
Rosario FC
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Rosario FC on Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:38 pm

Seen this the other day, I enjoyed it. I enjoyed the Paul Dano scenes more than the John Cusack ones.
absolute belters they cunts
Rosario FC
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby annemarie on Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:20 pm

I knew John Cusack was in it but my jaw hit the floor when I saw he was playing Brian. I get that it is an interpretation but at times it seemed like he had just wandered into the set. I could not get my head round it. At no time did i forget I was watching John Cusack. It seemed all the more strange because Paul Dano was so convincing and had put weight on etc to look the part. I don't think you need to be a dopelganger to play a famous person but it was almost like the most unlikely person was chosen. I am thinking that maybe Brian Wilson personally chose him as he is a fan and maybe a friend? I see no other reason for him to have been cast. I wouldn't let it put you off the film though. It was still very good, especially the scenes in the studio. Just very odd.
annemarie
chipolata
chipolata

Postby duglas on Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:26 pm

I really liked the film a lot. Belinda told David Scott and me some of the stories about their early dates when we met Brian and her around twenty years ago and some of them feature in the film true to how she told them to us. I liked Cusack's performance a lot. He resisted trying to do an impersonation of Brian but I think captured a lot of the essence of Brian and his vulnerability. I also thought the studio scenes were done really beautifully. It's a real story of hope.
DUGLAS
duglas
currywurst
currywurst

Return to Message Board