Record Store Day

Record Store Day

Postby El Macca on Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:15 pm

Not much on it caught my eye - and I think it's lost sight of what I thought it was supposed to be about in the first place.

Think I'll be giving the 8:30 shift outside Mono a miss this year .... keep me the Mary Chain live at the Barras please 8)

Incidentally what's on at Mono - usually got a couple of interesting guest slots throughout the day / night - which I might pop in and see if I've not drowned my relegation sorrows into oblivion in Kilbirnie by then ...
... it's no easy.
El Macca
pepperoni
pepperoni

Re: Record Store Day

Postby musicmurray on Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:17 pm

Might see you in Monorail Macca, think I will head in around 2/3pm.

Not after anything in particular, just a wee browse and a couple of beers.

Just written a blog on RSD http://everythingflowsglasgow.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/record-store-day.html
so you get older every year
but you don't change
or i don't notice you changing
musicmurray
hot dog
hot dog

Postby Ruthiepoos on Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:30 am

El Macca wrote:.... and I think it's lost sight of what I thought it was supposed to be about in the first place....

I agree.

But maybe I'm bitter as I don't have any decent record shops round here so can't join in the fun. If there was, I probably would.

It just doesn't affect me in any way.
I LOVE my TFC umbrella! :-)
Ruthiepoos
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Rosario FC on Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:51 pm

So.........who got what?

There was lots of nice to haves on the list, not many must-haves.
I got a dodgy Alex Chilton 7", and the Nolan Porter Keep On Keeping On single. Wouldnt have minded the Ork Box set, but I already have at least 4 of the singles anyway, so I talked myself out of spending the £120.

absolute belters they cunts
Rosario FC
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Bumpy Dog on Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:16 pm

Bumpy Dog
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Eddie Walsh on Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:03 pm

Only bought 2 records this year, 1)The Saints-Eternally yours, luminous yellow vinyl, sounds great. 8) 2) The Soft Machine-Wonderland, 180g vinyl, rare tracks from 67-70. Sounds like it was recorded under water, especially side 1. Dreadful. :(
"with your eyes like sparks, my heart like gasoline"
Eddie Walsh
chorizo
chorizo

Postby Devotchik on Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:06 pm

In principle I like the idea but its getting out of hand now with folk selling their stuff on ebay etc with inflated prices (some of them already being sold for an inflated price!) its the only day of the year someone would shell out £20 for a new single I reckon.. anyway I bought only one thing, the Creation Artifact vinyl boxset.. tracklisting in link: http://www.creation-records.com/creation-singles-box-set-to-be-released/

The London shops were packed out, people queueing from 5.30 in the morning and folk not getting in to the shops til noon..
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Ruthiepoos on Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:34 pm

We ended up going to our 'local' in the end, half an hour's drive away, as we were up. It's the first time I've taken part in Record Store Day. It opened comparatively late at 10, an hour earlier than normal! So that suited me, as did the short 15 min queue. Got a couple of nice Captain America EPs while everyone was queuing to look at the RSD stock. Having not been bothered before we decided to go, I was distraught to find out that there was no John Grant or Ride vinyl, they couldn't get hold of them, and decided not to order the Pearlfishers. It just felt like RSD was about making me want to buy something I didn't know I wanted! I caught the bug! Oh no!

Got some Zombies, Dexy's, Frank soundtrack, Small Faces Ogden's on LP, and Mark Morris/Matt Berry 7 inch.

I've since discovered that RSD sales are firm, so on the customer side, no returns (unless faulty, hopefully) and on the record shop side, no returns of unsold stock. Pretty harsh terms, which would explain why my little 'local' went a bit mainstream and tried to play it safe. I had a look at a massive box of stuff left over from RSD 14 and got a Line of Best Fit compilation of Finnish music, featuring the New Tigers! So that was very exciting.

Absolutely disgusted with people selling their stuff on ebay for sometimes 5 X the price. Especially when the record shops can't sell it on ebay yet (although I suspected some were). I hope none of those dicks got the asking price for those records. Outrageous.

Left over stock wasn't officially going to go on sale to online buyers till the following Sat am, so 00.00 Friday night/Saturday morning when I was out on a rare night out. BF got me that Ride best of though :-)

There are some shops around that will put on a bit of an event, which might be fun. The one we went to just had cake and flap jack pieces out which looked a bit dry and tired. So we'll probably go somewhere else next year if we can be bothered. The three nearest are between 30-60 mins drive away, all in different directions. So we don't really have a 'local' which is a shame.
I LOVE my TFC umbrella! :-)
Ruthiepoos
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Devotchik on Fri May 01, 2015 6:37 pm

I also bought previous years RSD stuff.. 20 yr anniversary edition of suede's Animal Nitrate and Graham Coxon's What'll It Take.. Planning to spend this extended weekend listening to it all plus the Future Pilot AKA / Bill Wells/ St Deluxe/ National Park/ Pastels/ Lightships stuff I also bought.. Should be a fun musical weekend :-)
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Gene_Clark on Tue May 05, 2015 3:43 pm

got myself the Trembling Bells 7" & the Wire album - think it's too commercial these days; turning rebellion into money....
El Jodido Payaso de Mierda: pathetic moaning old bastard whose interests include Newcastle Benfield FC, UK Alternative rock band Teenage Fanclub, Literature, Ultra Left Wing Politics, Real Ale & scoring goals for Wallsend Boys' Club Over 40s.
Gene_Clark
pepperoni
pepperoni

Return to Message Board