TFC supporting Foo Fighters

TFC supporting Foo Fighters

Postby retlivdead on Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:06 pm

It's been announced on the Foo Fighters' Facebook page that Teenage Fanclub will be special guests at their Old Trafford gig in May.

Whilst it's obvious that Nirvana and TFC shared an audience in the early nineties it will be interesting to see what Foo Fighters' younger fans make of them.

I lost interest in the Foos a few years ago but I still think that is a heck of a gig for the band to get.

Hi by the way, it's been a while! :D
retlivdead
andouillette
andouillette

Re: TFC supporting Foo Fighters

Postby terjely on Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:50 pm

That's great for the band and the Foo Fighters fans. Congratulations!
Teenage Fanclub collection:
http://folk.uio.no/terjelyn/
terjely
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Rosario FC on Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:06 pm

absolute belters they cunts
Rosario FC
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby kinksfan29 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:32 pm

Wow that is really exciting news!!! Since Norman talked about Extensive Touring it should be cool to see
where they will play and how successful the new album will be.
kinksfan29
hot dog
hot dog

Postby Bad Seed on Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:04 am

Maybe Dave Grohl can squeeze out some new-to-our-ears Fanclub for Record Store Day (he's the ambassador) in April.
LAter

Bad Seed
andouillette
andouillette

Postby Ruthiepoos on Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:56 pm

I'm so tempted. My contract has just been renewed for a few more months till the end of May, so thought I'd celebrate by buying some tickets I thought were out of my price range. Well now they're even further out of my price range. Belle and Sebastian in London now sold out, seat wave has tickets for over a hundred pounds a pop. The Elephant Man in the West End (of London) all the cheap seats have gone for the dates I can go, seats are now a hundred or more pounds. I'm finding that planning fun stuff, essential for living I find, is getting very difficult. If my pay has an end date, I'm worrying about paying the mortgage and much as I want to, can't justify tickets for certain things. Then when that date gets renewed, I STILL can't afford the tickets, or there's none left.

This is pissing me off a bit (although I've very grateful to have a 3 month's extension). Smaller gigs, and a reasonably priced festival, will have to do for keeping me sane.

So I looked at the Foo Fighters in Manchester, with other things now out of the question, this looks like it will be immense. I've not been to many stadium gigs, but I had no idea they would be so expensive. Standing at £105 and seating at £130 (I can't stand much at many gigs anymore, alas), the latter is almost double the cost of a weekend ticket to Indietracks. Maybe I'm naive, but that's a lot innit?

Still it's probably going to be a cracking day so would if I could though innit?

Hospitality at £299 each? Ooh I'll take two!

Anyone else tempted?
I LOVE my TFC umbrella! :-)
Ruthiepoos
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby musicmurray on Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:28 pm

A wee warm up show would be nice :D
so you get older every year
but you don't change
or i don't notice you changing
musicmurray
hot dog
hot dog

Postby Georgia on Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:02 pm

Ruthiepoos wrote:This is pissing me off a bit (although I've very grateful to have a 3 month's extension). Smaller gigs, and a reasonably priced festival, will have to do for keeping me sane.

So I looked at the Foo Fighters in Manchester, with other things now out of the question, this looks like it will be immense. I've not been to many stadium gigs, but I had no idea they would be so expensive. Standing at £105 and seating at £130 (I can't stand much at many gigs anymore, alas), the latter is almost double the cost of a weekend ticket to Indietracks. Maybe I'm naive, but that's a lot innit?

Still it's probably going to be a cracking day so would if I could though innit?

Anyone else tempted?

FFS, that is crazy money unless one loves the Foo Fighters and even then... Certainly not worth it if your main interest is TFC, knowing there will be better opportunities. WTH is hospitality anyway? They give you a few drink tickets and let you use a special toilet where the line is only 50 instead of 100 long? I hate the concept of these VIP ticket packages, eating into the general ticket pool for 3-4x the price. Add in the resellers eating up the rest and it's a miracle anyone gets in at the asking price for a basic ticket. :twisted: Tempted? I'm tempted to shin-kick someone, yeah. <bitter I was only able to get tickets for one of two Replacements shows that went on sale today>
Ain't lost yet, so I gotta be a winner
Georgia
mortadella
mortadella

Postby Devotchik on Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:44 am

Stadium show? Hey, nice one lads.. Enjoy! Hope some of the FF fans get checking out some TFC goodness!! 8)
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Devotchik on Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:48 am

By the way.. Hello J! Nice to see you round this way.. Hope you're well :-)
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby retropuente on Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:09 pm

Nice! I hope they find their way to the USA in support of the new lp!
I missed the NYC and North Carolina shows; it's been 5 years since I saw them in Boston and New York touring "Shadows" :)
retropuente
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Ruthiepoos on Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:55 pm

musicmurray wrote:A wee warm up show would be nice :D

Warm up show, excellent idea. Warm up show for a tour? Even better.
Ruthiepoos
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Ruthiepoos on Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:27 pm

Georgia wrote:
Ruthiepoos wrote:This is pissing me off a bit (although I've very grateful to have a 3 month's extension). Smaller gigs, and a reasonably priced festival, will have to do for keeping me sane.

Anyone else tempted?

FFS, that is crazy money unless one loves the Foo Fighters and even then... Certainly not worth it if your main interest is TFC, knowing there will be better opportunities. WTH is hospitality anyway? They give you a few drink tickets and let you use a special toilet where the line is only 50 instead of 100 long? I hate the concept of these VIP ticket packages, eating into the general ticket pool for 3-4x the price. Add in the resellers eating up the rest and it's a miracle anyone gets in at the asking price for a basic ticket. :twisted: Tempted? I'm tempted to shin-kick someone, yeah. <bitter I was only able to get tickets for one of two Replacements shows that went on sale today>

Bitter? Oh yes, me too. The Replacements at the Roundhouse is something I'm having to put off till I can see if I can afford it 'later'. 'Later' when it's sold out, probably. They had to add a second date which is not quite sold out yet though.....

I've never done hospitality. I've been lucky enough in the old days to get a few backstage passes to a few festivals and it spoilt me dreadfully. Free beer and less traffic through the toilets. Same scuzzy festival toilets. It's amazing how much difference less people using them, and more frequent maintenance makes. Money no object I'd do hospitality just out of curiosity. And get there by helicopter. There are THREE levels of hospitality for Foo Fighters! THREE! Why? All sold out though. And money is definitely an object.

But yes, sell all normal tickets, and just have more loos! How hard is that?

The real problem is that it's not sold out at all. Many many tickets are available on resellers like Seatwave or GetMeIn. And cost a fucking fortune. Don't tell me they're all people who bought tickets then realised they couldn't go? No way. If so why are they all charging so much more than the ticket cost? The touts have moved online. Makes me sick.

Doesn't stop me feeling so pleased it's happening though. Very amusing seeing the comments on Foo Fighters FB page. Lots of young whipper snappers saying 'Who?' then then old guard telling them to get an education! Ha. Makes me feel so old! Come the gig these young'uns will be eating their words so maybe we should leave em alone and let em learn. I hope the Fanclub will be bringing merch, they might shift some.

A weird thing about Facebook which is a bit creepy is the spy pane, or snoopy window, whatever, that shows you things your friends have liked or commented on, even if you're not friends with the original poster. So on Pancake Day we're all round Mum and Dad's and my sister mentions that I commented on Francis' FB post about them supporting FF, she'd read some comments and read the Kurt Cobain quote. She's like 'Did Kurt Cobain really say that about Teenage Fanclub?' I'm like yeah well I expect so, it's a kinda famous quote. 'But why would Kurt Cobain get so excited about a FOLK band?' Er...eh what the?

No idea.

She'll only get more confused if I tell her Francis is now getting airplay on Classic FM.
Ruthiepoos
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Georgia on Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:47 pm

Ruthiepoos wrote:Bitter? Oh yes, me too. The Replacements at the Roundhouse is something I'm having to put off till I can see if I can afford it 'later'. 'Later' when it's sold out, probably. They had to add a second date which is not quite sold out yet though.....

Yeah, the prices there are about the same in USD as the Chicago tix. I think they're worth it, but I'm very biased. I hope you get to see them. They were so great a year and a half ago when they first reunited. I'm watching StubHub hoping prices drop here closer to the show, but have no reason to gripe, because apparently some people couldn't get tix at face for either.

Ruthiepoos wrote:I've never done hospitality. I've been lucky enough in the old days to get a few backstage passes to a few festivals and it spoilt me dreadfully. Free beer and less traffic through the toilets. Same scuzzy festival toilets. It's amazing how much difference less people using them, and more frequent maintenance makes. Money no object I'd do hospitality just out of curiosity. And get there by helicopter. There are THREE levels of hospitality for Foo Fighters! THREE! Why? All sold out though. And money is definitely an object.

My only experience with what you might call "hospitality" was I think a ZZ Top show in suburban Chicago 20+ years ago. BF at the time had been a member of their fan club since the early 80s and they always gave out a pair of tix with a backstage passes to every member. So, I'm not into them, but we go. Lousy seats - OK they were free. Make our way backstage for our terrible free beers and gross snacks, and stand around watching members of Styx walk in and out. No ZZ Tops in sight. Disappointing as I wanted a look at the beards up close. Oh, well. It was an experience.

Ruthiepoos wrote:A weird thing about Facebook which is a bit creepy is the spy pane, or snoopy window, whatever, that shows you things your friends have liked or commented on, even if you're not friends with the original poster. So on Pancake Day we're all round Mum and Dad's and my sister mentions that I commented on Francis' FB post about them supporting FF, she'd read some comments and read the Kurt Cobain quote. She's like 'Did Kurt Cobain really say that about Teenage Fanclub?' I'm like yeah well I expect so, it's a kinda famous quote. 'But why would Kurt Cobain get so excited about a FOLK band?' Er...eh what the?

:lol:

Well, anyway, back on topic, yes, it's great TFC got the opening slot for this. Hope it comes with a nice payday and buckets of M&Ms and shrimp and expensive imported beer, etc., in the dressing room. Only the best!
Ain't lost yet, so I gotta be a winner
Georgia
mortadella
mortadella

Postby Ruthiepoos on Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:47 am

Georgia wrote:
Ruthiepoos wrote:Bitter? Oh yes, me too. The Replacements at the Roundhouse is something I'm having to put off till I can see if I can afford it 'later'. 'Later' when it's sold out, probably. They had to add a second date which is not quite sold out yet though.....

Yeah, the prices there are about the same in USD as the Chicago tix. I think they're worth it, but I'm very biased. I hope you get to see them. They were so great a year and a half ago when they first reunited. I'm watching StubHub hoping prices drop here closer to the show, but have no reason to gripe, because apparently some people couldn't get tix at face for either.

Ruthiepoos wrote:I've never done hospitality. I've been lucky enough in the old days to get a few backstage passes to a few festivals and it spoilt me dreadfully. Free beer and less traffic through the toilets. Same scuzzy festival toilets. It's amazing how much difference less people using them, and more frequent maintenance makes. Money no object I'd do hospitality just out of curiosity. And get there by helicopter. There are THREE levels of hospitality for Foo Fighters! THREE! Why? All sold out though. And money is definitely an object.

My only experience with what you might call "hospitality" was I think a ZZ Top show in suburban Chicago 20+ years ago. BF at the time had been a member of their fan club since the early 80s and they always gave out a pair of tix with a backstage passes to every member. So, I'm not into them, but we go. Lousy seats - OK they were free. Make our way backstage for our terrible free beers and gross snacks, and stand around watching members of Styx walk in and out. No ZZ Tops in sight. Disappointing as I wanted a look at the beards up close. Oh, well. It was an experience.

Ruthiepoos wrote:A weird thing about Facebook which is a bit creepy is the spy pane, or snoopy window, whatever, that shows you things your friends have liked or commented on, even if you're not friends with the original poster. So on Pancake Day we're all round Mum and Dad's and my sister mentions that I commented on Francis' FB post about them supporting FF, she'd read some comments and read the Kurt Cobain quote. She's like 'Did Kurt Cobain really say that about Teenage Fanclub?' I'm like yeah well I expect so, it's a kinda famous quote. 'But why would Kurt Cobain get so excited about a FOLK band?' Er...eh what the?

:lol:

Well, anyway, back on topic, yes, it's great TFC got the opening slot for this. Hope it comes with a nice payday and buckets of M&Ms and shrimp and expensive imported beer, etc., in the dressing room. Only the best!

Yes and bottles of spirits that don't have the security tag left on.....

A connection I've found between Teenage Fanclub and the Replacements.....I've seen Paul Westerberg a couple of times, once in Cleveland Ohio in August 1993 (Peabody's Downunder I believe, saw some ace gigs there) and then a few months later at the Clapham Grand in London. Amazing gigs, both. The second time I saw him people just didn't want to stop and he didn't want to stop playing, he played for ages and ages, kind of getting a bit anxious about the last train but didn't want to miss anything. Then he finished 'Goodnight' etc, and the crowd didn't want him to stop. The place put on some music, the lights went up, and the crowd kept cheering for more, and wouldn't stop, persistent cheering, shouting, stamping and baying till he came back and the venue had no choice to put the lights back down and turn the music off so he could play another couple of songs. I've been to a few gigs, and that's the first time I've seen the crowd beat the venue and artist into submission, outlasting the lights, the venue music, the security shouting at people to go home etc. Quite a feat.

The only other band I've seen that happen to was Teenage Fanclub in Belgrade in 2010!
Ruthiepoos
pepperoni
pepperoni

Next

Return to Message Board