25 years since A Catholic Education

25 years since A Catholic Education

Postby musicmurray on Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:18 pm

This year marks 25-years since A Catholic Education and Everything Flows were released.

Who on here got into the band from the off?

How did you first get into them?

Where and when did you first hear/see them?

I was a year behind - 1991 with The Concept and Bandwagonesque - staples in my 5th year common room at school!
so you get older every year
but you don't change
or i don't notice you changing
musicmurray
hot dog
hot dog

Re: 25 years since A Catholic Education

Postby Bumpy Dog on Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:33 pm

Me. Bought the record based on the title from A1, Renfield St. Immediately made a tape for a pal entitled the Yewtreetastic "Teenage Fannies".
Bumpy Dog
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Bad Seed on Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:06 am

I was into the album around September 1990, shortly after my then girlfriend dumped me (I think she up and joined the army or something...).
First I got to see them was 1992 at Fairfax High School here in LA.
LAter

Bad Seed
andouillette
andouillette

Postby terjely on Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:40 am

I was still living with my parents in the middle of nowhere (Norway) at the time and did not know about the album. It was Bob Dylan, The Clash, Pink Floyd and the Stone Roses for me back then. It wasn't until I moved to Trondheim (in the middle of Norway) in January 1991 that I discovered Teenage Fanclub through God Knows It's True. It's still one of my favourite Fanclub songs.
Teenage Fanclub collection:
http://folk.uio.no/terjelyn/
terjely
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby valtteri3 on Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:15 am

in august 1999 an older friend (i was 16) handed me a home-taped c-90 of "thirteen".
it blew my mind and by the time "howdy!" was released i was already a 100% fan owning all of the previous albums.

first time i saw the live was in liverpool in february 2003. it was the 4766 tour.
it was also the first time i ever visited UK and tasted BLT. great trip!
violent cities, silent kitties
valtteri3
currywurst
currywurst

Postby keithp on Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:40 pm

From the very beginning and from what I can remember it was a music paper review. Been hooked ever since.
keithp
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Feek on Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:44 pm

For me it was hearing Sparky's Dream on that show Life After Birth or whatever it was called about a single mum/unplanned baby c1997 god that takes me back to my final year at uni 18 years ago :shock: .
Feek
chipolata
chipolata

Postby somewheresoon on Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:40 am

I was living in Florence (Italy) at the time and duly going every thursday to the newspaper agent at the central station to buy NME and Melody Maker. At the time there was a great show on the italian national radio which was on every night and it used to showcase the bands i'd read about in those magazines. It was there i heard Everything Flows for the first time. The song that really got me interested in them was God Knows It's true, which i heard in a record shop on a trip to Munich. Then Bandwagonesque came and and...well. i grew older together with them like the most of us in this board i suppose.

First time i saw them live didn't come until 2005. I travelled all the way to, well, Sheffield of all places, to see them play a great gig at the Leadmill an even got to meet them in the backstage.
After that, there were some other gigs and backstages, but hope that there will be at least as many.

Life is hard but life as a TFC fan is great.
somewheresoon
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Sm1d on Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:13 pm

I heard Everything Flows on one of those Indie compilation CD's, then I saw them on Snub TV on BBC2. Loved them from that point.
Sm1d
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Bob Ferris on Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:29 pm

I was in an 'indie' nightclub in Brighton. Everything Flows came on and when it had finished I went and asked the DJ what it was...

25 years? F**k!
"Do you want to sort this out in the real world.... you repulsive fucking grass?" - Gene Clark
Bob Ferris
chipolata
chipolata

Postby madavies71 on Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:20 pm

Hello all

I'm new around here. Newly registered anyway (have been caught up with the registration problems for over a year). Hardly new to Teenage Fanclub though...

So my first encounter was November 1989, ULU London. I went to see the Pastels (original lineup touring Sittin' Pretty) supported by the Pale Saints (had just released Sight Of You EP). But there were 2 other support bands I'd never heard of. 3rd on the bill were Ride who I think were playing their first London gig. They'd just signed to Creation, but the Ride EP hadn't yet been released. 4th on the bill were a rather shambolic (drunk?) group of long haired chaps calling themselves Teenage Fanclub. There was something interesting about them though as they stumbled their way through their short set. I didn't think too much about them for a while though - too busy following Ride around town after the release of the EP in January.

It was on a Saturday lunchtime in July 1990 as I was coming up the stairs at Rough Trade Neals Yard branch, when me and my mate Darren passed 4 long haired chaps carrying instruments down the stairs. I recognised them and told Darren we should stick around. They set up and played a few songs down there. It was a couple of days before the release of A Catholic Education, but they had advanced copies with them. We both bought the gatefold, got all 4 guys to sign it inside, were given an I'm A Teenage Fanny badge (long gone) and stuck around for a chat. We were hooked. It was Darren's first TFC encounter. You can read his version of events here: http://sabotagetimes.com/music/the-grea ... shop-1990/

Over the next 6 months we followed them round every support slot they did around town. By December 1990 when God Knows Its True came out, they were headlining their own show at the Venue New Cross. Support was the Pastels (less Brian, Martin and Bernice by this time) and BMX Bandits, complete with Duglas-ettes! I think Norman was possibly in all 3 bands at the time. There was certainly a lot of instrument swapping going on and TFC participation in both the Pastels and Bandits. Bobby Gillespie and Andrew Innes from Primal Scream came on and did an encore of Get Back with TFC. As lineups go, it doesn't get much better than that. A great evening, a real celebration.

Jesus, 25 years....
madavies71
chipolata
chipolata

Postby pinball on Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:45 pm

A guy at school got a tape from a friend with the Underneath What? album on one side and A Catholic Education on the other. I taped both, so my introduction was through a copy of a copy. And I had to listen to Underneath What? a few times, but it wasn't bad.

Anyway, I ended up seeing them just before my 18th birthday in 1990 supporting Sonic Youth, then again later in 1990 or 91 (ask Terje, he probably know better than I do). Then at Reading 91. Then at the Nirvana/Breeders/Fanclub extravaganza in June 92. The same 3 people were present at all 4 gigs. I was kinda on board by that time...
"What's this?"
"What's what?"
"No. Who's who. But you were close"
pinball
"tom is a sex god" - Beyonce Knowles
"tom is a sex god" - Beyonce Knowles

Postby karen chicago on Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:11 pm

Hey everyone - haven't posted in a while. Glad my sign in to the board worked! 1990 - honestly I think TFC was still under my radar. Working long hours and disillusioned with current music. Truth his my boyfriend then and husband now ( got married 1991 ) he was buying more LP's than I. Dee-Lite, House Of Love, Mega-City 4, Betty Boo. I know I bought Aztec Camera /Stray, PreFab Sprout/ Jordan, and The Soup Dragons and Edwyn's Hellbent and Compromise.
I own 1992 Creation Bandwagonesque pretty sure got around the same time. I use to get MOJO, NME's other music mags back then so most likely an article I read and sought after the music. Since Clearly no one was playing TFC on the radio here in Chicago in the early 90's.
Also I have been buying records and seeing live bands strongly 13 years prior, and started getting selective with my purchases and " music media fawning"-
My life has been extremely enhanced since I embraced them.
(I'm not selling out my imagination, I'm a citizen of the human nation)
karen chicago
chipolata
chipolata

Postby El Macca on Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:35 pm

... bought the God Knows It True single I've got a feeling it was in Edinburgh-Cockburn St ? and loved it passed it around my mates - I then bought the ACE album playing Everything Flows to death ... more mates joined in around the Bandwagonesque era - which ( sadly ) I think this was one of the first albums I ever bought on CD.

To my eternal shame I can't remember where or when I first saw them - though to be fair that period was a bit of " John Lennon Lost weekend job .... " 8) .... that's one ticket stub I'd chew my arm off to still have in the collection.
... it's no easy.
El Macca
pepperoni
pepperoni

Return to Message Board