Vic Godard (& Davey Henderson)

Vic Godard (& Davey Henderson)

Postby Gene_Clark on Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:24 am

Saw Le Facteur qui chante en Francais last night, supported by Sexual Objects. Brilliant. Still looks like Martin O'Neill would do if he was homeless, but a total one off genius.

And Davey Henderson was majestic too; never seen him before, but made a particular point of thanking him for the 1981 Peel session version of "Fascist Groove Thang."

Playing Glasgow tonight; highly recommended.
El Jodido Payaso de Mierda: pathetic moaning old bastard whose interests include Newcastle Benfield FC, UK Alternative rock band Teenage Fanclub, Literature, Ultra Left Wing Politics, Real Ale & scoring goals for Wallsend Boys' Club Over 40s.
Gene_Clark
pepperoni
pepperoni

Re: Vic Godard (& Davey Henderson)

Postby geographic on Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:41 pm

Going to this and really looking forward.
Here's Monorail's mailout for the show.

Hello,

We'd like to bring your attention to a series of Vic Godard & Subway Sect shows in Scotland this weekend.

Most hipsters know that Subway Sect were the great outsider punk, not punk group - all grey jerseys, home-hacked mod haircuts and a language gleaned from 1960s French films and the New York punk scene of Richard Hell and Tom Verlaine. They were into tennis and cricket too. How good is that!

At first the music was ultra-primitive and inept-great but before too long they'd hit a stride and Vic was coming out with songs that would be considered classic in most eras: Vertical Integration, Ambition, Out Of Touch, Holiday Hymn, Make Me Sad and at least half a dozen others. They were melodic, exciting, inventive, brilliant, and for a brief moment seemed to have it all in place. But Vic was too fast moving and under the weird influence of Bernie Rhodes abandoned the group to play his songs in various styles (some kind of great) which took in rock n roll, doo-wop, swing, weird easy listening and various others.

For a while he seemed to drop off the map but he made a great comeback record for Alan Horne's Postcard label, The End Of The Surrey People, produced by his fan, Edwyn Collins. Last year he topped that record with We Come As Aliens which sounds almost exactly like classic period Subway Sect and at least three of the songs are up there with Vic's best. There's a wild Francoise Hardy cover too. The playing (often with Paul Cook on drums) is super tight, Vic's singing mad and brilliant.

In recent years Vic Godard & Subway Sect have played quite a few Scottish shows, usually in odd places. All have been fantastic. This time Vic is apparently delighted to be back at the Accies, his favourite cricket club venue. He will be joined by the amazing Sexual Objects and Wake The President too. That is surely the definition of an unmissable show.

Friday, 11th March. Vic Godard & Subway Sect, Sexual Objects, Wake The President. The Accies,
Helensburgh Drive, Anniesland, Glasgow.
tickets from Monorail Music and Tickets Scotland.

Saturday, 12th March . Vic Godard & Subway Sect, Sexual Objects. The Citrus Club, Grindlay Street,
Edinburgh.
tickets from Ripping Records and Tickets Scotland.

Sunday, 13th March. Vic Godard & Subway Sect, Spectorbullets and Edinburgh School For The Deaf.
Dexter's, Dundee.
More information here:
http://manicpopthrills.wordpress.com/20 ... -in-dundee

Follow Monorail Music on twitter:
http://twitter.com/Monorail_Music/
geographic
chipolata
chipolata

Postby karen chicago on Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:07 pm

THANK YOU geographic and gene_clark - I've been following Vic Godard since Stop that Girl in 1981 - when I picked up the single at my local record shop Wax Trax. Subway Sect is one band I wished I had seen - some members became Jo-Boxers and I caught their US tour.
I follow Vic on fb - and see all the posters / ads for this tour within the UK. I am going to try to get We Come as Aliens online - I don't believe it's been released in NA yet. I'll take any concert posts of their shows. Funny I own a book called ManicPopThrills.
No writings of Vic - It does include chapters on Wedding Present and The Wonder Stuff.
(I'm not selling out my imagination, I'm a citizen of the human nation)
karen chicago
chipolata
chipolata

Postby El Macca on Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:59 pm

... i'm keeping the great start to this year of gig going and will be heading along to this tonight. Should be good !

Gene ... any merchandise cd's / albums on sale ?
... it's no easy.
El Macca
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Gene_Clark on Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:23 pm

Macca - look out for my mate Mickey who stays in Paisley (who's now on here as Mickey Hydes).

Yes there were vinyl albums & CDs, partly I guess because John Espland of Overground was putting on last night's gig.

"We Come As Aliens" & "1978" in particular.

Looking forward to hearing what you think of it.
El Jodido Payaso de Mierda: pathetic moaning old bastard whose interests include Newcastle Benfield FC, UK Alternative rock band Teenage Fanclub, Literature, Ultra Left Wing Politics, Real Ale & scoring goals for Wallsend Boys' Club Over 40s.
Gene_Clark
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Gene_Clark on Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:04 am

Currently listening to Vic live in Glasgow courtesy of a phone call by Mick Hydes.

Apparently Sexual Objects were brilliant.
Gene_Clark
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Pete II on Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:49 am

indeed they were - an absolutely excellent night
never underestimate the power of human stupidity...
Pete II
chipolata
chipolata

Postby El Macca on Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:56 am

Amazing gig last night. 3 great bands for a tenner. Well done to Alan for putting this together.

Sexual Objects were brilliant - Davey Henderson has still got IT - in spades - magic performance. ( A pity he went missing later as Vic and The Subway Sect were trying to get him up for an encore with them )

Vic Godard - Great set, looked like he would have played all night for us if he could. Some good craic with the band too. A lot of smiling faces at the end :D

Picked up both of those albums ... and I wasn't the only one with a big blue plastic bag at the end of the evening :wink:

( Gene - was pretty busy in there, had a good look about for Mickey but unfortunately couldn't see him )
... it's no easy.
El Macca
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Pete II on Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:05 pm

aye brilliant - restores your faith in the power of music

and i was well chuffed to get the contents of my blue plastic bag signed
never underestimate the power of human stupidity...
Pete II
chipolata
chipolata

Postby geographic on Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:30 pm

What an amazing night!

Vic sings every single note like it's the most important one he's ever going to sing. We were with some French friends (one of whom loves Francoise Hardy) - none seemed entirely sure that he'd been singing in French. They took a tea break and went into a British workers / On The Buses routine which Vic found hilarious. Played most of We Come As Aliens and Ambition, Enclave, Stop That Girl, Stool Pigeon and Chain Smoking. Completely life affirming music. The Sexual Objects and Wake the President were excellent too.

I don't think any of us would have been anywhere else.
geographic
chipolata
chipolata

Postby karen chicago on Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:00 pm

geographic
Completely life affirming music.

Ever know that a particular show will be special - even when you can't be there?
I am happy for everyone who went.
Vic sings every single note like it's the most important one he's ever going to sing

peteII
aye brilliant - restores your faith in the power of music

ElMacca
A lot of smiling faces at the end

:wink:
thanks guys
(I'm not selling out my imagination, I'm a citizen of the human nation)
karen chicago
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Gene_Clark on Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:14 pm

Macca - ironically Mickey texted me to say you weren't there!

Ships that didn't pass in the night......
Gene_Clark
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby geographic on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:07 pm

Typically great La Terrasse review of Vic Godard & Subway Sect Edinburgh and Dundee shows...
http://la-terrasse.blogspot.com
geographic
chipolata
chipolata

Postby French Girlfriend on Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:01 pm

geographic wrote: none seemed entirely sure that he'd been singing in French

I don't know if Vic had been singing in French the night you saw him, but on this video, we can think that he really sings in French. I can hear some sentences like "dans tes bras" or "pourquoi avoir fait ça?"

“la marge, c’est ce qui tient les pages ensemble”.
French Girlfriend
chipolata
chipolata

Postby geographic on Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:29 am

I knew he was singing in French, it was just the French people that doubted it :D

Une version anglaise.
geographic
chipolata
chipolata

Next

Return to Message Board