Ruthiepoos wrote:
Devotchik wrote:70s NY early hiphop scene docs:
Rubble Kings
Freshly Dressed
(Both Netflix)
Caught up with second series of Narcos
Marseille
Wolf Hall

ETA: Brilliant and emotionally stirring.. Glen Campbell- I'll Be Me http://glencampbellmovie.com/
:o

Narcos is on my list of things to watch in my temporary retirement which started yesterday.

What did you think of Wolf Hall?\

I really need to catch up with the Glen Campbell film and the Detectorists?

I liked Wolf Hall, felt it was a complementary series to the film A Man For All Seasons despite the decades between the two.. almost like a chance to see it from Cromwell's side of things rather than AMFAS which is sympathetic to More. From what I've seen so far of Rylance I'm starting to come around to liking his style of acting prefering him in historical things as opposed to more modern day characterisations like the character he played in The Gunman.

The Detectorists was charming and very funny at times. I like Toby Jones ever since I saw him in Infamous - a film about Truman Capote, and Berberian Sound Studio. He's also the voice of Dobby the house elf. Also stars the geezer from The Office - Mackenzie Crook..

Plenty for you to watch and catch up on! Enjoy your time off..

Wolfhall was the best thing I've watched on TV for a decade At least. Everything about it was high quality.
Bumpy Dog
currywurst
currywurst

Re: Square Eyes ...

Postby Devotchik on Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:41 pm

Bumpy Dog wrote:Wolfhall was the best thing I've watched on TV for a decade At least. Everything about it was high quality.

My eldest son has got in to the habit now of interupting my viewing by saying "oh this must be a historical drama because either someones shagging or everyones naked"

Happy to report he was quiet during Wolf Hall.. :lol:
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Ruthiepoos on Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:55 pm

Devotchik wrote:
Ruthiepoos wrote:
Devotchik wrote:70s NY early hiphop scene docs:
Rubble Kings
Freshly Dressed
(Both Netflix)
Caught up with second series of Narcos
Marseille
Wolf Hall

ETA: Brilliant and emotionally stirring.. Glen Campbell- I'll Be Me http://glencampbellmovie.com/
:o

Narcos is on my list of things to watch in my temporary retirement which started yesterday.

What did you think of Wolf Hall?\

I really need to catch up with the Glen Campbell film and the Detectorists?

I liked Wolf Hall, felt it was a complementary series to the film A Man For All Seasons despite the decades between the two.. almost like a chance to see it from Cromwell's side of things rather than AMFAS which is sympathetic to More. From what I've seen so far of Rylance I'm starting to come around to liking his style of acting prefering him in historical things as opposed to more modern day characterisations like the character he played in The Gunman.

The Detectorists was charming and very funny at times. I like Toby Jones ever since I saw him in Infamous - a film about Truman Capote, and Berberian Sound Studio. He's also the voice of Dobby the house elf. Also stars the geezer from The Office - Mackenzie Crook..

Plenty for you to watch and catch up on! Enjoy your time off..

I totally jumbled up my previous message, not sure how!?

As in I've already watched the Detectorists, love it. Gentle, then occasionally, not so gentle, humour, and always very funny. And I love the theme toon.

But yes Glen Campbell doc is now on my list of things to watch as well as Narcos.

I loved Wolf Hall, the quality of acting and the wonderful score drove this along for me. It felt slow moving even though it wasn't, yet compelling. Mark Rylance is so watchable.

Thanks, I like to know I have good telly in my future for days I can't get out, but now I'll be having more time off I have a list of things I want to do and a list of things I have to do, physio and getting out of the house more being top of that list. Then instruments. Picking up the violin again. Hopefully the exercises I have to do will help with that. Too painful right now. First of all though I need to get a bit of rest, a few days hibernating are in order I think.

Devotchik wrote:My eldest son has got in to the habit now of interupting my viewing by saying "oh this must be a historical drama because either someones shagging or everyones naked"

Oh that was refreshing. Everything recently, especially if made by Starz for some reason, has so many sex scenes that to be honest, it just gets boring. Outlander for example. Loved the story and the acting and all the scenery, but everything gets interrupted by nudity and sex scenes, the first series felt like it was every few minutes. It was like those scenes were written by a smutty minded Mills and Boon reject. Or fan fic. Yes it looked like the fan fiction version of Outlander. I knew people who used to write stuff like that and Christ, the filth! Or maybe I'm just getting old.

(I loved all the knitted pieces she wore in Outlander, all those lovely scarfs, long mittens, capelets and cowls, I don't care if they weren't the correct stitches or gauge for the era, they were beautiful, so yeah, maybe it's me being too old now lol!)
I LOVE my TFC umbrella! :-)
Ruthiepoos
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Devotchik on Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:53 pm

Ruthiepoos wrote:

Devotchik wrote:My eldest son has got in to the habit now of interupting my viewing by saying "oh this must be a historical drama because either someones shagging or everyones naked"

Oh that was refreshing. Everything recently, especially if made by Starz for some reason, has so many sex scenes that to be honest, it just gets boring. Outlander for example. Loved the story and the acting and all the scenery, but everything gets interrupted by nudity and sex scenes, the first series felt like it was every few minutes. It was like those scenes were written by a smutty minded Mills and Boon reject. Or fan fic. Yes it looked like the fan fiction version of Outlander. I knew people who used to write stuff like that and Christ, the filth! Or maybe I'm just getting old.

(I loved all the knitted pieces she wore in Outlander, all those lovely scarfs, long mittens, capelets and cowls, I don't care if they weren't the correct stitches or gauge for the era, they were beautiful, so yeah, maybe it's me being too old now lol!)

I'm just getting old, call me Mary Whitehouse..

Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Ruthiepoos on Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:15 pm

Devotchik wrote:
Ruthiepoos wrote:

I'm just getting old, call me Mary Whitehouse..

Hahaha! Knitwear - check! Glasses - check! I don't have the necklace though. She's trendier than I am lol!
Ruthiepoos
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Ruthiepoos on Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:16 pm

OMG Luke Cage starts on Netflix in a few days! I wonder if it's one a week or all at once? I hope it's the latter, I would cane all those in just a couple of days. What a way to start my temporary retirement?!
Ruthiepoos
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby davieboywonder on Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:50 pm

Ruthiepoos wrote:temporary retirement?!

what does that mean?

(and hello Ruthie btw, not seen you for ages, I went to the Islington show with friends, but will be at the Electric Ballroom show on my own, so maybe we'll meet up?)
davieboywonder
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Devotchik on Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:58 pm

Something I would like to see is Preacher. Don't have Amazon / Sky though. Dominic Cooper phwoar! I know, I know.. acting skills.. just playing characters.. etc etc.. but he is fit.. *sigh* but yeah, ahem, I'd like to see Preacher especially as I used to read the comic years back and I hear he plays Jesse's bad ass character very well..

(He was also very 'ooer nudge nudge saynomore' as Bond creator Ian Fleming in the Netflix series 'Fleming: The Man Who Would Be Bond')
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Ruthiepoos on Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:39 am

davieboywonder wrote:
Ruthiepoos wrote:temporary retirement?!

what does that mean?

(and hello Ruthie btw, not seen you for ages, I went to the Islington show with friends, but will be at the Electric Ballroom show on my own, so maybe we'll meet up?)

Hey Dave, how you doing! You were at the Islington gig? I was there, was upstairs with my sister, Terje and new friend Denver. Did you see the Hanging Stars? Thought they were great! Fanclub pulled it out of the bag too, they were brilliant. Lovely venue too. Thought the crowd were a bit timid though!

I've been 'redundant' now for 3 and a half years but I've stayed doing temporary jobs since then so haven't gotten around to leaving the company yet. I was in a temporary job was in a very stressful environment. Health has gone downhill this year quite rapidly, and this job wasn't helping. I had an opportunity to leave early, go back to the 'unwanted staff' office for a few months and take a pause in my employment without technically leaving the company. So I took that option and now go in twice a week only. It's a bit scary, it's not a great career choice but it was that or they'd eventually get rid of me on disability. I'm hoping by focussing on physio and health and shit for a couple of months that I'll become employable again and be able to get a better job in the company, but there's also a chance that won't happen and I'll have to leave, then we'll be in deep shit. But any of that is better than working with those REDACTED. I've done several temp jobs around the company and they've all been great. This is my first negative experience, so I'm quite happy to give it another go once I've, erm, recovered.

I'll be going to the Electric Ballroom with the boyfriend who I'm sure you've met before at other gigs, it'd be great to meet up. Devotchik and Julie are going too I believe. And I'm sure tonnes of other people from here, looking forward to it! :-)
Ruthiepoos
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Ruthiepoos on Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:47 am

Devotchik wrote:Something I would like to see is Preacher. Don't have Amazon / Sky though. Dominic Cooper phwoar!

Well, quite!

Devotchik wrote:I know, I know.. acting skills.. just playing characters.. etc etc.. but he is fit.. *sigh* but yeah, ahem, I'd like to see Preacher especially as I used to read the comic years back and I hear he plays Jesse's bad ass character very well..

He is perfect, can't imagine anyone else in the role now. I thought the whole thing was more or less perfect, although one or two characters I found hard to watch. Made me queasy. This isn't a criticism of the show, just getting more soft as I get older I think, and some of it's a bit strong for me. The way some of the threads of the stories unravelled and some of the characters were revealed bit by bit, was pretty clever.

Devotchik wrote:(He was also very 'ooer nudge nudge saynomore' as Bond creator Ian Fleming in the Netflix series 'Fleming: The Man Who Would Be Bond')

Never seen that, any good then?
Ruthiepoos
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby pinball on Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:44 am

Devotchik wrote:Something I would like to see is Preacher. Don't have Amazon / Sky though. Dominic Cooper phwoar! I know, I know.. acting skills.. just playing characters.. etc etc.. but he is fit.. *sigh* but yeah, ahem, I'd like to see Preacher especially as I used to read the comic years back and I hear he plays Jesse's bad ass character very well..

(He was also very 'ooer nudge nudge saynomore' as Bond creator Ian Fleming in the Netflix series 'Fleming: The Man Who Would Be Bond')

How long must we put up with sexist objectification? Still though, Vicky McClure, what I wouldn't.... I mean, um, great actress :lol:
"What's this?"
"What's what?"
"No. Who's who. But you were close"
pinball
"tom is a sex god" - Beyonce Knowles
"tom is a sex god" - Beyonce Knowles

Postby Ruthiepoos on Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:59 pm

What can I say, women have one track minds don't they? Awful.
Ruthiepoos
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Devotchik on Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:59 pm

:mrgreen:

He's on the West End stage in the Restoration play 'The Libertine'.. as Lauryn's studying Drama at university I might suggest it to her and 'volunteer' to go with her.. :wink:

Though it depends on how absurd the ticket prices are and whether there are student discounts available.. :|
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Devotchik on Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:01 pm

Ruthiepoos wrote:
Devotchik wrote:(He was also very 'ooer nudge nudge saynomore' as Bond creator Ian Fleming in the Netflix series 'Fleming: The Man Who Would Be Bond')

Never seen that, any good then?

He gets the girls and does the odd bit of spying.. and looks hot in uniform :mrgreen:

You might not like it :lol:
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Devotchik on Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:04 pm

Devotchik wrote:
He's on the West End stage in the Restoration play 'The Libertine'.. as Lauryn's studying Drama at university I might suggest it to her and 'volunteer' to go with her.. :wink:

It worked.. two tickets booked lol <- :mrgreen:

Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

PreviousNext

Return to Message Board