***Edwyn Collins and Teenage Fanclub at Trongate/Mono***

Re: ***Edwyn Collins and Teenage Fanclub at Trongate/Mono***

Postby Ruthiepoos on Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:42 am

I thought watching these vids would make me sad, but they make me very happy. Thanks for your hard work Bazza. Only had enough time this weekend to watch a couple, but they're great! :-)

Rx
I LOVE my TFC umbrella! :-)
Ruthiepoos
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby BZ on Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:58 am

Big Bazza wrote:Edwyn did remark during the gig on the fact that Gerry was playing a Mustang bass.
Gerry must have been having a great time playing all those soul and funk basslines.

I've only seen a couple of the vids posted so far but it looks like TFC did a solid job backing him up. I've never heard Gerry or Francis play so funky.
BZ
chipolata
chipolata

Postby tomtom on Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:43 am

BZ wrote:
Big Bazza wrote:Edwyn did remark during the gig on the fact that Gerry was playing a Mustang bass.
Gerry must have been having a great time playing all those soul and funk basslines.

I've only seen a couple of the vids posted so far but it looks like TFC did a solid job backing him up. I've never heard Gerry or Francis play so funky.

The NEW FUNK BROTHERS.

Makes yoo wonder how good that Barbara Lynn gig could have been.
" SUCKIN' DIESEL, SUCKIN' DIESEL "
tomtom
Lorne Sausage
Lorne Sausage

Postby El Macca on Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:10 pm

Finally ...

Ah, well better late than never.

For a couple of very good personal and domestic reasons I shouldn't have been there on Thursday night ... but there's no way in a million years I would have missed it, and I'm just pleased and privileged to have been there.

Thanks are due to Edwyn and the band for giving everyone present a night they'll never forget. I've seen Edwyn many times over the years, and on a couple of occasions since he started doing live shows again - but he's never seemed more relaxed and looking like he was enjoying himself as he did on Thursday - he was on great form.

Thanks also to Norman for extending the invitation - he gets a lot of very unfair criticism at times on here - I think he does a great job running the messageboard amongst everything else that he's involved in and it's a great point of contact and resource for fans from all over, we're in you debt Mr Blake.

I remember buying those early Orange Juice Postcard singles as soon as they came out many years ago - and getting " You Can't Hide Your Love Forever " on the day of it's release - and just playing them constantly. Orange Juice really were a breakthough compared to some of the crap that was about then ... and hailing from Scotland just made them seem even more special.

So to hear my favourite band performing those same songs was like a dream - there were tears in my eyes during Falling and Laughing and Blue Boy, it was like things had come full circle, it must have been amazing for the boys to be up on stage playing with a fellow artist who must have been a huge influence on them when they were just starting out playing and writing songs at first - I can still picture Norman singing " I wore my fringe like Roger McGuinn " with a big smile on his face.

In fact, a lot of smiles were exchanged by the band during the set. Gerry was just beaming, Ray was great at looking after Edwyn - and Francis stood clapping and smiling for what seemed like ages at the end of the set ( as we all did )

coldnose and justerini made some very good points, we are very lucky to have all of this on our doorstep here in Glasgow - I don't take it for granted at all. Nights like this where I get to share great music, and music that I love, with people I've come to know as friends and who love that same music like I do, just make life well worth the living ... honestly - they're that special.

Following up TT's point a wee collabaration release would just be the icing on the cake - sincerely hope it happens.

Thanks also to Geo / Jim / Miffy / meatpod and others for sharing tunes and pictures, great work, and much appreciated, for bringing even a flavour of what it felt like to be there, by one and all I'm sure - I would really love to hear that soundboard recording.

Lastly .... my apologies to Remy for blabbing about our conversation in the loos where he recognised me - but it was really funny - and to be honest given the location I'm rather glad you didn't use the word " ' Ard " !

Anyways - please excuse the stream of thought rambling above - Geo said he was still buzzin' a couple of hours after it - I'm still talking about it to anyone who'll listen to me 4 days later.
... it's no easy.
El Macca
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Supereclipse on Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:19 pm

cheers Macca, great report as usual. :D
Mugwumps high jumps low slumps big bumps,
don't you work as hard as you play?
Supereclipse
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby tomtom on Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:26 pm

i wouldnt have arsed going even it had been on my own doorstep down sarf.

Please come and do it down sarf :)
" SUCKIN' DIESEL, SUCKIN' DIESEL "
tomtom
Lorne Sausage
Lorne Sausage

Postby valtteri3 on Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:22 pm

i've watched those videos over and over again. just superb.
actually i can't imagine a gig i'd rather been to!
violent cities, silent kitties
valtteri3
currywurst
currywurst

Postby beat on Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:36 pm

valtteri3 wrote:i've watched those videos over and over again. just superb.

I am with you on this one Val. Thanks everyone who shared great videos & pictures from that amazing night. Any sort of release from that collaboration would be fantastic.
The one thing that would make the world alright today would be if Teenage Fanclub showed up to play a gig in my house.

http://www.myspace.com/beatkoenig
beat
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Bumpy Dog on Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:38 pm

El Macca wrote:Finally ...

For a couple of very good personal and domestic reasons I shouldn't have been there on Thursday night ... but there's no way in a million years I would have missed it, and I'm just pleased and privileged to have been there.

Thanks are due to Edwyn and the band for giving everyone present a night they'll never forget. I've seen Edwyn many times over the years, and on a couple of occasions since he started doing live shows again - but he's never seemed more relaxed and looking like he was enjoying himself as he did on Thursday - he was on great form.

Thanks also to Norman for extending the invitation - he gets a lot of very unfair criticism at times on here - I think he does a great job running the messageboard amongst everything else that he's involved in and it's a great point of contact and resource for fans from all over, we're in you debt Mr Blake.

I remember buying those early Orange Juice Postcard singles as soon as they came out many years ago - and getting " You Can't Hide Your Love Forever " on the day of it's release - and just playing them constantly. Orange Juice really were a breakthough compared to some of the crap that was about then ... and hailing from Scotland just made them seem even more special.

So to hear my favourite band performing those same songs was like a dream - there were tears in my eyes during Falling and Laughing and Blue Boy, it was like things had come full circle, it must have been amazing for the boys to be up on stage playing with a fellow artist who must have been a huge influence on them when they were just starting out playing and writing songs at first - I can still picture Norman singing " I wore my fringe like Roger McGuinn " with a big smile on his face.

In fact, a lot of smiles were exchanged by the band during the set. Gerry was just beaming, Ray was great at looking after Edwyn - and Francis stood clapping and smiling for what seemed like ages at the end of the set ( as we all did )

coldnose and justerini made some very good points, we are very lucky to have all of this on our doorstep here in Glasgow - I don't take it for granted at all. Nights like this where I get to share great music, and music that I love, with people I've come to know as friends and who love that same music like I do, just make life well worth the living ... honestly - they're that special.

Following up TT's point a wee collabaration release would just be the icing on the cake - sincerely hope it happens.

Thanks also to Geo / Jim / Miffy / meatpod and others for sharing tunes and pictures, great work, and much appreciated, for bringing even a flavour of what it felt like to be there, by one and all I'm sure - I would really love to hear that soundboard recording.

Lastly .... my apologies to Remy for blabbing about our conversation in the loos where he recognised me - but it was really funny - and to be honest given the location I'm rather glad you didn't use the word " ' Ard " !

Anyways - please excuse the stream of thought rambling above - Geo said he was still buzzin' a couple of hours after it - I'm still talking about it to anyone who'll listen to me 4 days later.

Nice post, Macca.
Bumpy Dog
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Alice on Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:10 pm

valtteri3 wrote:i've watched those videos over and over again. just superb.

I concur! :D
Alice
andouillette
andouillette

Postby guest on Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:45 am

That's an excellent wee piece.
Well done Macca, as good as I've seen on here for a long while.
This post has been censored, I only like free speech when it's something me and my friends agree with.
Lorne Sausage
Lorne Sausage

Postby Uncle Mort on Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:19 pm

nice one. glad you enjoyed it. it clearly meant a lot to you.
Uncle Mort
andouillette
andouillette

Postby Bumpy Dog on Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:11 pm

Bumpy Dog
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Georgia on Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:08 pm

Thanks for the link, BD. I'd like to read the book. NYC-based guitarist Jason Crigler also managed to come back from a brain hemorrhage he suffered on stage in 2004. There's an amazing and inspiring documentary about his and his family's experience called Life Support Music, which I believe you can watch online. It's hard to imagine going through something like this. More about JC and the doc here, for those interested: http://www.jasoncriglermusic.com/index.html
Ain't lost yet, so I gotta be a winner
Georgia
mortadella
mortadella

Postby Bumpy Dog on Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:27 pm

Bumpy Dog
currywurst
currywurst

PreviousNext

Return to Message Board