Would you consume GM products?

No way
67%
Yes, why not
33%

Total votes : 6

GM products

Postby Narodnaia Volia on Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:17 am

They were discussing it at BBC Breakfast today. What do you think of it?

I think we humans underestimate nature... playing with it is dangerous.
Maui Image
Narodnaia Volia
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby dr numpty on Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:23 pm

As with most things it can be used either positively or negatively. We have to be aware of the chain effect it could have on nature, and because the choice is down to us humans we have to be more thorough.
dr numpty

Postby siobhan's dad on Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:28 pm

As long as products are labelled I can make my mind up in the supermarket.
If this were the Seine, we'd be very suave;
But it's just the rain, washing down the boulevard.
siobhan's dad
kielbasa
kielbasa

Postby tomtom on Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:20 pm

GM (general motors) are the parent company of one time lutons largest emploers Vauxhall.
and the way they treat their staff would lead me to vote against them.

never seen any their products so labeled though mr. dad.
" SUCKIN' DIESEL, SUCKIN' DIESEL "
tomtom
Lorne Sausage
Lorne Sausage

Re: GM products

Postby plcmat on Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:11 pm

Narodnaia Volia wrote:They were discussing it at BBC Breakfast today. What do you think of it?

I think we humans underestimate nature... playing with it is dangerous.

One could argue that since we as a species have acquired the intelligence to genetically engineer other species that this capability is "natural" and
just another example of a species' learned behavior. Wasn't domestication just an example of our species manipulating another? Couldn't genetic engineering be viewed as a more sophisticated extension to domestication?
Hold my life till I'm ready to use it.
plcmat
hot dog
hot dog

Postby tomtom on Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:22 pm

feck you've lost me now. what the jeesus has this got to do with cars. is it one of those concept cars they have at motor shows ? those things never appear on the forcourt, so dont worry.
" SUCKIN' DIESEL, SUCKIN' DIESEL "
tomtom
Lorne Sausage
Lorne Sausage

Re: GM products

Postby Narodnaia Volia on Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:27 pm

plcmat wrote:One could argue that since we as a species have acquired the intelligence to genetically engineer other species that this capability is "natural" and
just another example of a species' learned behavior. Wasn't domestication just an example of our species manipulating another? Couldn't genetic engineering be viewed as a more sophisticated extension to domestication?

We designed and created many thing we didn't know could harm us and after a few years we found out they were bad for nature, bad for us and bad for earth in general. I bet that in the future (say 20 years time) new diseases will come due to GM products being consumed for too long. We don't know the effects of it... could be really serious (even the hormones they give for the chicken to become larger can harm us, personal experience).
Take pills for e.g. ... now they say women who took them for too long are more likely to have cancer. In the 50s fags were cool, then they found out you could also develop cancer if you smoked.

I won't eat any GM products ever... i don't believe they will be better for my health than natural organic products. Everything that's natural is better for us...

I think the only mistake nature ever made was... well... us humans... but that's very misanthropic and probably not really the most accept view one could have, so i won't say anything else...don't want to sound too radical :wink:
Maui Image
Narodnaia Volia
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Gazz on Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:32 pm

Not sure if it's related but I haven't felt the same since people started messing about with food/nature, CJD & Dolly the sheep pegging it early have done it for me for the forseeable future. :shock:
"The world is very blue, and becoming bluer with every passing year"!
Gazz
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby captain_america on Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:33 pm

I don't really have any issues with it. We have been modifying the food chain to our own ends for hundreds of years. To me, and I'm no expert, there really isn't any difference to modifying the DNA of a plant by cross-polination or by splicing it with different varieties of similar plants, and modifying the DNA at genetic level.

Most of the fruit, veg, grain etc we eat has been modified by man into strains that weather better, taste better, and resist disease better. The manner in which it is changed seems irrelevant.

What this has to do with TFC I'm still trying to work out.
...note to invading aliens, avoid this town like it has avoided us...
captain_america
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Narodnaia Volia on Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:40 pm

captain_america wrote:What this has to do with TFC I'm still trying to work out.

didn't know we were only allow to talk about TFC :P
Maui Image
Narodnaia Volia
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby captain_america on Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:47 pm

[quote="Narodnaia Voliadidn't know we were only allow to talk about TFC :P[/quote]

good point, well made... ;)
...note to invading aliens, avoid this town like it has avoided us...
captain_america
pepperoni
pepperoni

Return to Message Board