Today I.....

Re: Today I.....

Postby Ruthiepoos on Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:47 am

Even though the wind speed is lower than Hurricane Bawbag, the gusts are causing so much damage. Went to Bristol tonight to see the lovely Laura J Martin and Adam Stearns and the way home was quite an exciting journey. Tyre pressure warning light, so had to stop in the middle of nowhere in the storm at 2am to pump up the tyres, and once I left the motorway on the little A roads to get to my house, I had to navigate floods and trees/bushes/debris all over the roads. Lots of fences and trees down, and a ginormous tree on the common has lost several branches, some of those as big as trees themselves.

I don't remember this much damage during Bawbag!

Time for bed.
I LOVE my TFC umbrella! :-)
Ruthiepoos
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby ricv64 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:04 am

Cleaned out my truck I've had since 94 . Taking it in to state sponsored retire tomorrow . Adios LADYBIRD ....Named after LBJ's wife :roll:

plus watched the Vascos in LA LIGA !!!! woo hoo

'what matchbook art school did you flunk out of, you ham-fisted, near-sighted, house painter?'-- C. Montgomery Burns
ricv64
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Devotchik on Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:55 pm

Dreamt that I was invited round Paul McCartney's house & in the kitchen he gave me a keychain with a blue Madonna (our lady, not the singer) figurine on it & then he went off somewhere.. Random innit. Thought it might be something to do with Lady Madonna.. But then he was in the news for having holy trousers so I dunno.. :) Maybe he popped out in my dream to get his trousers fixed cos there's a dry cleaning service up St Johns Wood called Madame George's (owner could be a Van Morrison fan?). Anyway he had a nice kitchen, earthy colours, stone tile & a big wooden kitchen table.. Plenty of light! And that's what really matters.. :lol:
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby bluflower on Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:27 am

celebrated my Mom's birthday with family dinner and a delicious chocolate cake my sister made.

also learned my Dad started volunteering at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, giving tours in relation to the historic Pipe Organ there: http://www.boardwalkhall.com/organs.asp
He's finally officially retired at age 79 and I'm glad he's got something to keep him busy. He's full of stories and I think he'll add something fun for those visiting the hall. He used to sneak into the hall when he was a kid.
without music, I'd be dead.

http://www.facebook.com/spincycleshow/
Spin Cycle on the air at WERA, wera.fm every Tuesday 10am-Noon EST
bluflower
hot dog
hot dog

Postby Devotchik on Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:16 am

Realised that when I return to work in a few weeks I'll be starting a teaching course.. scary! :o :shock:
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby pinball on Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:59 pm

I got one of those e-mails from someone leaving work. And it was from the biggest douche in the company who consistently promises clients' the moon on a stick and then says "Over to you". So he can fucking do one.
"What's this?"
"What's what?"
"No. Who's who. But you were close"
pinball
"tom is a sex god" - Beyonce Knowles

Postby ricv64 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:53 pm

OK SF 6.0 who was woken up early today ?

'what matchbook art school did you flunk out of, you ham-fisted, near-sighted, house painter?'-- C. Montgomery Burns
ricv64
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Devotchik on Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:17 pm

ricv64 wrote:OK SF 6.0 who was woken up early today ?

Erm.. I guess that would've been you. Nothing too serious I hope?
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Devotchik on Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:02 am

Devotchik wrote:
ricv64 wrote:OK SF 6.0 who was woken up early today ?

Erm.. I guess that would've been you. Nothing too serious I hope?

Oh & you wouldn't happen to know how long oil takes to dry for varnishing? Got 5 hanging in my kitchen above the fridge.. Watched a coupla films whilst I was working and I'm convinced after watching Amityville Horror the dude really had an axe to grind with someones.. :-o
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby ricv64 on Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:25 pm

moveable after a few hours . For me it takes a day for the varnish to settle but I mix alittle Venetian turp with it

ricv64
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Devotchik on Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:34 pm

ricv64 wrote:moveable after a few hours . For me it takes a day for the varnish to settle but I mix alittle Venetian turp with it

Thanks. Old Master (re the venetian turps!). :D
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Devotchik on Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:31 am

In my job one of my tasks is to help run a reading group for non fluent English speakers, I.e those who have English as a second language. We take turns to read through books, I help them with pronunciation and I've also taught people how to use dictionaries. We support the work that their ESOL teachers do in the classroom. I'm very sympathetic to their willingness to learn English because of my own difficulties with the language albeit in another way. Dyslexia is a phonological condition. I have struggled with it and have good days and bad days. Sometimes it also affects my speech in that I mispronounce words, slur words or acquire a stammer. Until I learnt about dyslexia and how my difficulties related to it I was a very angry person. If I mispronounced a word in front of someone I would avoid talking to that person again afterwards for fear they would think I was stupid. Now things have changed and I engage people in conversations knowing that I could at any minute slur my speech, mispronounce a word or start stammering but I've learnt to laugh it off or joke about it. I've been really self conscious about it in the past and I've gotten angry and shot my mouth off. Today I nearly slipped back in to my old mindset of doing just that. Instead I'll just ask you to consider the difficulties someone who has language difficulties possesses and goes through on a daily basis. This is part of the reason why I love my job. Its nice to make a positive change to someone's life.
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby bluflower on Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:09 am

Devotchik wrote:In my job one of my tasks is to help run a reading group for non fluent English speakers, I.e those who have English as a second language. We take turns to read through books, I help them with pronunciation and I've also taught people how to use dictionaries. We support the work that their ESOL teachers do in the classroom. I'm very sympathetic to their willingness to learn English because of my own difficulties with the language albeit in another way. Dyslexia is a phonological condition. I have struggled with it and have good days and bad days. Sometimes it also affects my speech in that I mispronounce words, slur words or acquire a stammer. Until I learnt about dyslexia and how my difficulties related to it I was a very angry person. If I mispronounced a word in front of someone I would avoid talking to that person again afterwards for fear they would think I was stupid. Now things have changed and I engage people in conversations knowing that I could at any minute slur my speech, mispronounce a word or start stammering but I've learnt to laugh it off or joke about it. I've been really self conscious about it in the past and I've gotten angry and shot my mouth off. Today I nearly slipped back in to my old mindset of doing just that. Instead I'll just ask you to consider the difficulties someone who has language difficulties possesses and goes through on a daily basis. This is part of the reason why I love my job. Its nice to make a positive change to someone's life.

It must be incredibly rewarding to help others this way!

bluflower
hot dog
hot dog

Postby bluflower on Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:16 am

had an extremely frustrating and challenging day. working long hours, trying to navigate a number of things. Had to skip seeing my friends play a show in Baltimore due to extended work day, but it ended with a very rewarding meeting with some members of the community who are interested in helping make the Low Power FM radio station happen in Arlington. Always good to end the day better than it started!

The next 16 months are going require some hyper focused time management, but it will be so very rewarding if I can help make a community radio station happen! :D

bluflower
hot dog
hot dog

Postby pinball on Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:22 am

Might go and see Will Oldham in a church at the end of my street. Might not. I've seen him twice, once acoustic, once electric w/full band; both times I was unmoved.

Definitely going to see Lloyd Cole in the same place tomorrow, this time with monkeymafia.

http://www.openhousefestival.com/bangor-2014/ I've been badgering the guy that runs it to try and book Jonny/Lightships/New Mendicants...
"What's this?"
"What's what?"
"No. Who's who. But you were close"
pinball

PreviousNext

Return to Message Board