Gary Barrett RIP

Gary Barrett RIP

Postby guest on Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:13 pm

Boarders in the Glasgow area may be saddened to hear that record store geezer Gary Barrett has died.
Gary was a regular behind counters such as A-1, Fopp, and Avalanche over the years. He was a great music fan and spent thousands of nights at gigs, often taping them for his massive bootleg collection.
I first met Gary in the mid 80s when he worked at A-1 on Renfield Street. he would set aside wee fanzines and US 7 inchers that he thought I might like. And he always stood his round.
Gary was just 42 when he died last week. It's no exaggeration to say that people like him are essential for a flourishing music scene.
I know Duglas, Norman, Raymond and others have fond memories of him, too.

Mort
Lorne Sausage
Lorne Sausage

Postby duglas on Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:20 pm

Yes guest you are totally right, Gary and his kind are as key to having a healthy musical community as having good bands, venues, radio programmes, etc. Sad news.
DUGLAS
duglas
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Senor Bulto on Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:15 pm

42.So sad.R.I.P. :cry:
From Scotland With Love
Senor Bulto
pepperoni
pepperoni

Encore : Gary Barrett : 1963 - 2006

Postby guest on Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:46 pm

I am Dean Barr, Gary's nephew. Thought, seeing as people had taken the time to look at this thread, and some to post on it, I thought I would share my perspective a little, on the Gary that I knew.

Gary, my Uncle, was a man of simple pleasures. If Gary had his music, his friends, his family and the odd drop of Woodford's Reserve Bourbon, Gary was a happy man! He lived his life threefold: Gigs, Music, Family. Gary was a loving, caring member of the family. Someone who anyone could turn to, no matter what their problem, big or small, Gary would always be there.

Gary didn't live life to anyones expectations but his own. Gary, is, after all, the music man, who never stopped rockin. The man, whose funeral songs were "MC5 - Kick Out The Jams," on the way in, "Jon & Vangelis - I'll find my way home," sung by the 200 or so who attended, and "The Stooges - Down On The Street," on the way out. Is that a conventional funeral? I think not. Was Gary really that conventional?

I remember, only very recently (25th August 06 to be exact) coming home from a night out, a bit worse for wear, to discover I had the wrong jacket - thus no keys to get in the house. Bearing in mind it was 3am - who could I turn to for a cup of tea, and a bed for the night?! - Gary!

"Funny" is the only word I can put to writing this just now. You never consider when people are living, just what it's going to be like when they're not around. You don't expect people like Gary, to not see his 43rd Birthday, which would have been on 30th December, this year.

However, we all must forge on together, remembering Gary for the man that he always was. I remember once posing the question to Gary, in one of our many philosophical discussions ... well as philosophical as Gary and I could get at least ... "How do you want to remembered when you're not around?"

The answer: "He was a good c*nt."

Well ... will he be remembered for being that, at the very least, for sure.

Gary and I shared a passion for music, and this passion was one that I had instilled to me through Gary, and endless occassions where we'd be in each others company, with music as our third guest.

The last gig we went to, was on Wednesday 30th August 2006. It was Nick Olliver & The Mondo Generator at Tut's. Now, that week, Gary and I had been feeling pretty shitty, but when the phone went, and it was Gary, I was down to his within ten minutes and we were in Glasgow a half hour later. Seldom would Gary let anything get in the way of a gig! I remember our last bus journey home from Glasgow. He sat beside me, telling me stories of various old times, and various nicks he was in after certain nights out!

So glad I went to the gig, even if I thought I was going to drop dead in the heat of Tut's that night!

The last time I seen Gary was on the Wednesday the week after, the day before he died on the night of Thursday 7th September. The last thing he done was said "See Ye Later," and waved his hand in the air before he cycled off down the road, to his home, to get ready to go to a gig.

Gary Barrett - rocked to the end!

At times you expect Gary to walk in to the room, make his final encore, say goodbye, and then leave us.

But Gary has left us. If he knew that he was going to, he would probably just say: "Be happy, look out for each other, and take care."

Gary Barrett is at rest now: kickin' out the jams; finding his way home; down on the street.
Lorne Sausage
Lorne Sausage

Postby Senor Bulto on Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:52 pm

Thanks for that.
My condolences.
All the best.
From Scotland With Love
Senor Bulto
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby kelbow on Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:54 pm

a great post for a great fella, Dean. How cool - to go to gigs with your uncle. I'm 42, as it happens.
I will now proceed to untangle the entire area.
kelbow
currywurst
currywurst

Postby guest on Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:54 pm

nice one.
didn't know gary that well.
he used to sell me records in A1 (top of renfield st?), and i used to chat with in the old griffin days, and at gigs around the town.
he was a good c**t! :D
Lorne Sausage
Lorne Sausage

Postby Sparkly Diamond on Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:55 pm

Cracking post, Dean.

Don't believe I ever met the man but he sounds as if he was some guy.
I fear the worst.
Sparkly Diamond
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Campsonian on Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:56 pm

That has to be the most touching post I've ever read.
Thanks for sharing.
This river gives me all I need
Campsonian
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Kowalski on Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:56 pm

Lovely tribute Dean :wink:
Kowalski
"tom is a sex god" - Beyonce Knowles
"tom is a sex god" - Beyonce Knowles

Postby Her useless hubby on Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:57 pm

:shock: 42 ??!! Too young... :( RIP
As I don't know him, was he still working in any of those shops mentioned before ? If yes maybe he's sold me some stuff...
"I'm feeling rough, I'm feeling raw, I'm in the prime of my life..."
Her useless hubby
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby brendan o'h on Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:58 pm

Campsonian wrote:That has to be the most touching post I've ever read.
Thanks for sharing.

same here.
all the best dean.
B
brendan o'h

Postby Supereclipse on Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:22 pm

A very nice post Dean, please pass on all our best to your family.
Mugwumps high jumps low slumps big bumps,
don't you work as hard as you play?
Supereclipse
pepperoni
pepperoni

Re: Encore : Gary Barrett : 1963 - 2006

Postby guest on Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:08 pm

lovely tribute. thanks.
:D
Lorne Sausage
Lorne Sausage

Postby tomfoolery's dad on Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:22 pm

Did he write this review? Enthusiastic guy!

http://www.i94bar.com/gigreviews/stoogesscotland.html
The best way to waste time is to fill it. If you can read this, congratulations on your Légion d'Honneur.Image
tomfoolery's dad
Lorne Sausage
Lorne Sausage

Next

Return to Message Board