Mayor Of The Sunset Strip

Mayor Of The Sunset Strip

Postby Bad Seed on Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:14 pm

Mayor of the Sunset Strip is a documentary about Rodney Bingenheimer. It will premiere at the Los Angeles Film Festival on June 17 at the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood. The movie is directed by the guy who made "The Man From Elysian Fields" and produced by the guy that does Breakfast with The Beatles. Don't know if there is a TFC interview. The documentary has been in production for 5 years, so... I'm guessing lots of love to Rodney.

LAter
LAter

Bad Seed
andouillette
andouillette

Postby Sonia on Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:20 am

Almost a year to the date later and we finally got a viewing of this film in Phoenix. It was a bit sad/cruel at times. I thought they could have put a less harsh editorial slant on it but I guess that's the beauty of the documentary. The Kim Fowley interviews were brilliant. I saw a nod to Redd Kross in the credits but there didn't seem to be much coverage of the 80s local LA scene aside from X.
Sonia
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Nicene Creeder on Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:23 am

I was very disappointed as well. It's almost as if I was listening to someone else based on this documentary. Too much of today and not enough of the 80's. You are definitely right on that point. Where was the 80's west coast punk movement? SST?
LAter

NC
Nicene Creeder
andouillette
andouillette

Postby Derrick (not logged in) on Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:09 am

My opinion exactly. Where were the 80s? Why focus on a street guy that he "helps" and ignore his active boosterism with local bands like Black Flag, etc.? Why focus on such sad negativity about a guy who is only about freely giving of his positive energy?

Whatever, it's still facinating. Blow off the filmmakers' slant, read between the lines, and see Rodney as he is. I think it's still on screen.
Derrick (not logged in)

Postby Devotchik on Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:06 am

Rodney Bingenheimer? Just finished reading Pamela Des Barres "I'm With The Band"
Devotchik

Postby Nicene Creeder on Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:01 am

Same guy, Tat. If you purchased the vinyl version of Grand Prix back in 1995, the limited edition included a bonus 7" with Rodney on Norman/Krista's answering machine.

If you get the soundtrack to the movie there is at least one song missing. That one song is Kim Fowley's version of the Mayor of Sunset Strip. That song though is available on Kim's most recent release, so look for it.
LAter

NC
Nicene Creeder
andouillette
andouillette

Postby Georgia on Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:58 pm

I don't know if this was ever shown here in theaters, but I finally saw this on DVD over the weekend. I thought it was pretty excellent. I knew almost nothing about the man beforehand, so I wasn't aware of stuff they may have left out. I watched it with an LA native who listened to his show regularly in the 70s & 80s, though, and he loved it.

There's some great bonus stuff on the DVD that may interest folks. One fairly long segment where the filmmakers interview Elvis Costello and Brian Wilson together was particularly good. And there is more Kim Fowley footage. Am I the only one who laughs everytime Michael Des Barres opens his mouth? For some reason, I just find him hysterical.
Georgia
mortadella
mortadella

Postby tfc on Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:09 pm

michael des barres :shock: he was in that zeppelin copy band
detective wasnt he? i also remember seeing him in an episode of macgyver.
Jim Dandy to the rescue.
tfc
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Georgia on Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:31 pm

Yes! However, Silverhead was the only one of his musical endeavors to be mentioned in the film.
Georgia
mortadella
mortadella

Return to Message Board