Recommend a book...

Re: Recommend a book...

Postby Devotchik on Fri May 09, 2014 3:58 pm

Well Cody, hope it all goes in that tiny brain, in fact whatever you do will go in there so just be careful.. my kids surprise me with the clever stuff they come out with.. :lol:

Thanks for the suggestion of Bluebeard, will give it a look! Fictionwise I've been reading quite a bit of Monsieur JG Ballard, loving him at the moment.. I think thats why I like Ballard's stuff so far, it references art and uses the same kind of language and visual imagery..

And the rest are just pure art based texts.. Goethe's Theory of Colour.. Chromophobia by David Batchelor.. three seperate books about geometric shapes by the Italian designer Bruno Munari: The Square, The Circle, and The Triangle.. just regular mundane stuff :lol:
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby WarmJets on Fri May 09, 2014 10:19 pm

Which is why I'm so committed to curbing my compulsive cursing. And failing miserably!

Shit! See?

I played her Piper at the Gates of Dawn yesterday and was shocked at how disturbing that record is. I've never listened to it from this parental perspective and I was blown away. Syd Barrett: amazing talent, horrible for toddlers.
It's all in my mind
It's all in my mind...
WarmJets
hot dog
hot dog

Postby Devotchik on Sun May 11, 2014 12:42 pm

:-) sounds like you're settling in to the role well! Its a big change than seeing things on your own terms isn't it? I found its mainly about them watching the way you respond / react to things that feeds their little minds.. Its like the old story of kids watching a parent freaking out about a spider and picking up a fear of spiders from their parents and not first hand with a spider than if the parent was to calmly deal with it instead.. Learned behaviours I guess. Once they're past 18 then its okay to sit back a bit but I'm finding its hard to do if you've been so defensive and parental on their behalf.. Thankfully I only have one left under 18 but the concerns change so you're never really free although you do get your time back to spend doing your own thing.. Keep feeding her mind :-)

And on the music front my eldest pretty much likes the same music I do, my daughter knows a lot of it from hearing it but likes dance music to deathcore emo stuff and my youngest likes his sisters deathcore emo stuff.. I just encourage them in what they like.. If its Bring Me The Horizon this year then hey, I'll check em out too.. Lol
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby matzerath on Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:03 am

Last day for watching the Imagine... Philip Roth documentary (in 2 parts) on the iplayer. It's really great and makes you want to read every word he ever wrote. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b044r6k9
it's a long walk home / but I've found my beat
matzerath
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby WarmJets on Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:15 pm

matzerath wrote:Last day for watching the Imagine... Philip Roth documentary (in 2 parts) on the iplayer. It's really great and makes you want to read every word he ever wrote. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b044r6k9

I HAVE read every word the old codger has written! Quite a feat. I'm especially fond of his last phase, as he says he's now retired. Nemesis was an unbelievable note to go out on! What a gift: to watch the maturation process of a man since 1959 until just recently. My God is he a talent.
It's all in my mind
It's all in my mind...
WarmJets
hot dog
hot dog

Postby pinball on Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:29 pm

Big Roth Fan too, though not that big. Haven't read any of the last 4 but was blown away by The Plot Against America and American Pastoral. I'm currently reading this - got into him via reading all the Benjamin Black books currently being shown on telly as "Quirke". The book of Evidence is another good one. I'll be exploring his stuff further...

"What's this?"
"What's what?"
"No. Who's who. But you were close"
pinball
"tom is a sex god" - Beyonce Knowles

Postby shents on Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:56 am

pinball wrote:Big Roth Fan too, though not that big. Haven't read any of the last 4 but was blown away by The Plot Against America and American Pastoral. I'm currently reading this - got into him via reading all the Benjamin Black books currently being shown on telly as "Quirke". The book of Evidence is another good one. I'll be exploring his stuff further...

Kepler is good

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kepler-John-Banville/dp/0330372335
shents
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Devotchik on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:08 pm

Just Kids.. Patti Smith. <3
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby ricv64 on Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:50 am

just started this

'what matchbook art school did you flunk out of, you ham-fisted, near-sighted, house painter?'-- C. Montgomery Burns
ricv64
currywurst
currywurst

Postby pinball on Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:09 pm

"What's this?"
"What's what?"
pinball

Postby Devotchik on Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:40 am

Currently reading Matthew Collings 'This Is Modern Art' after watching the whole series on YouTube.

Also reading The Little Prince after Zelda Williams quoted a passage as tribute to her dad Robin..

:-)
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby ricv64 on Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:54 pm

better then the trash 70's era book ecotopia

'what matchbook art school did you flunk out of, you ham-fisted, near-sighted, house painter?'-- C. Montgomery Burns
ricv64
currywurst
currywurst

Postby pinball on Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:50 pm

One of mynci's chrimbo presents. There has been one particularly chortlesome bit.
"What's this?"
"What's what?"
pinball

Postby matzerath on Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:09 pm

I'm recommending Cynan Jones and Donal Ryan these days.
it's a long walk home / but I've found my beat
matzerath
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Devotchik on Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:44 pm

Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

PreviousNext

Return to Message Board