Re: Recommend a book...

Postby shents on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:31 am

never disappoints
shents
chipolata
chipolata

Postby terjely on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:46 pm

Picked up the paperback of Standing In Another Man's Grave by Ian Rankin while in Glasgow. Really enjoyed the comeback of Rebus. Looking forward to hear about what happens to Rebus next. "You're vinyl, we're digital?" I like vinyl!
Teenage Fanclub collection:
http://folk.uio.no/terjelyn/
terjely
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby duglas on Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:44 am

Looking forward to Alan McGee's new book.
DUGLAS
duglas
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Gene_Clark on Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:27 am

Just finished "The Guts" by Roddy Doyle - knocks fucking spots off the new David Peace effort.
El Jodido Payaso de Mierda: pathetic moaning old bastard whose interests include Newcastle Benfield FC, UK Alternative rock band Teenage Fanclub, Literature, Ultra Left Wing Politics, Real Ale & scoring goals for Wallsend Boys' Club Over 40s.
Gene_Clark
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Devotchik on Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:46 am

Nine Stories - JD Salinger.
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby matzerath on Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:07 pm

My favourites so far this year -

it's a long walk home / but I've found my beat
matzerath
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby pinball on Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:41 am

Danny Baker's autobiog is interesting and amusing.
"What's this?"
"What's what?"
"No. Who's who. But you were close"
pinball
"tom is a sex god" - Beyonce Knowles

Postby Devotchik on Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:45 am

Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby pinball on Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:34 am

"What's this?"
"What's what?"
"No. Who's who. But you were close"
pinball

Postby somewheresoon on Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:47 am

Just finished tonight and can warmly recommend

Wonderful. The man is a genius.
somewheresoon
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Devotchik on Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:31 pm

I'm currently utilizing the diversionary tactic of reading Moz's Autobiography to help escape the real world.. Have to say I'm really enjoying it! (Soz Moz haterz!) as I've almost finished it now I have two Camus books lined up for afterwards: A Happy Death and The Fall. The Outsider is a fav since I read it for part of my final project at uni which touched upon some of the same themes in the book.. Looking forward to starting A Happy Death anyway, not so sure about The Fall. And I still have a book to finish which I had dropped in favour of reading Moz: Sartre's Age Of Reason.. Would you trust a record store salesperson if they recommended music they didn't listen to or were not interested in? That's how I approach working in a library..
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby shents on Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:05 am

Devotchik wrote:I'm currently utilizing the diversionary tactic of reading Moz's Autobiography to help escape the real world.. Have to say I'm really enjoying it! (Soz Moz haterz!) as I've almost finished it now I have two Camus books lined up for afterwards: A Happy Death and The Fall. The Outsider is a fav since I read it for part of my final project at uni which touched upon some of the same themes in the book.. Looking forward to starting A Happy Death anyway, not so sure about The Fall. And I still have a book to finish which I had dropped in favour of reading Moz: Sartre's Age Of Reason.. Would you trust a record store salesperson if they recommended music they didn't listen to or were not interested in? That's how I approach working in a library..

I read "The Fall" a long time ago, because of The Fall. Probably didn't understand it then. should try again sometime! Which is the "Killing an Arab" one? Is that The Outsider? Generated lots of Bands/songs ol Albert. Good on him.

As a librarian, what's your opinion on "Bio-Mathematics vol. 2 Numerical methods, Matrices, probability, statistics"? :D
shents
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Devotchik on Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:07 am

shents wrote:As a librarian, what's your opinion on "Bio-Mathematics vol. 2 Numerical methods, Matrices, probability, statistics"? :D

:D Librarians have no real opinions only Dewey codes but I'll do my best to answer your query anyway sir.. ;) Off the top of my head that would probably be found somewhere around 510 (the Dewey Decimal class mark for Maths.. Maybe 513ish?) lol but placed in the Science section if specifically for Science boffins like yourself! Depends on the layout / organisation of your library I.e if its organised by Dewey or some other form of classification system.. Ours is in Dewey order but kept in subject areas so a maths book for surveyors would be class marked at 510 but kept in the Construction subject area, a maths book for basic skills would be kept in the Functional Skills section etc.. Surprisingly there are many many many many different ways to layout a library depending on classification systems and the usefulness of them with regards to the punters there but Dewey is the most common..

What I would do if I didn't have knowledge of a particular title ;) is ask those who have borrowed it if they found it useful and what areas it covered then if someone like yourself queried it then I would tell you if others found it useful or not.. If you're working in a library you're expected to have some kind of basic knowledge on the subject areas kept there.. That's how the magic works lol

So.. Did you find that title useful at all for what you required it for? Anything special about the author/s with regards to that particular field? And would you recommend it to others like yourself?

:mrgreen:
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby shents on Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:00 pm

Devotchik wrote:
So.. Did you find that title useful at all for what you required it for? Anything special about the author/s with regards to that particular field? And would you recommend it to others like yourself?

:mrgreen:

it weren't bad :) I think the authors are all dead as it was published in the 60s. the bit about computers was somewhat outdated, though fascinating on the subject of punch-card indexes.

the maths was fairly basic, so it hasn't really changed all that much in the past 60yrs, so as a basic revision, it was rather fine, and a very nice hard-bound edition.

people who borrowed this book also borrowed "Shots in the dark" by Shoji Yamada and the Historical Thesaurus of the Oxford English Dictionary...
shents
chipolata
chipolata

Postby ricv64 on Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:08 pm

Dannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnni your library suffers from not having Link+ :P currently reading ,

'what matchbook art school did you flunk out of, you ham-fisted, near-sighted, house painter?'-- C. Montgomery Burns
ricv64
currywurst
currywurst

PreviousNext

Return to Message Board