My film of the day

Re: My film of the day

Postby Devotchik on Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:50 pm

Two films from a wonderful Slovak director Juraj Herz everybody should check out: The Cremator (very dark humoured horror about a guy doing anything necessary to join the Nazi party without any hindrances) & Morgiana (a darker earlier period piece kinda like Whatever Happened To Baby Jane).. Real gothic european sixties/seventies horror which I love.. If you don't like having to read subtitles or b/w films you'll definitely hate them! Would be a shame though if you passed them up because of those kinda reasons tho..
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Devotchik on Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:05 am

Jake & Dinos Chapman's The Organ Grinder's Monkey..

Hopefully going along to see their Serpentine Gallery show this weekend..
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby ricv64 on Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:55 pm

I've been loving this show

http://www.sundancechannel.com/series/t ... QgoddXsA7Q

French zombies who listen to Mogwai :!:

'what matchbook art school did you flunk out of, you ham-fisted, near-sighted, house painter?'-- C. Montgomery Burns
ricv64
currywurst
currywurst

Postby el sid on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:00 am

Tony Gatlif's Latcho Drom full movie
look! his mouth is getting bigger! his arms are shrinking. so is his leg.
el sid
chorizo
chorizo

Postby Charlotte on Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:36 pm

Just watched this unusual documentary last night...

What an incredibly bizarre story!
Charlotte
chorizo
chorizo

Postby Kowaldoc on Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:45 pm

Wolf of Wall Street... A better film you will not see this year! 8)
Kowaldoc
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Devotchik on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:18 pm

If you liked Wings of Desire, Last Year in Marienbad, or Eyes Without A Face (or indeed any Rive Gauche/ French New Wave films) and like films that make you think then watch Holy Motors. Its on Netflix UK. Stars Denis Lavant, Kylie Minogue, & Eva Mendes. Surrealistic, absurdist, metatextual, enigmatic, & baffling.

One piece of advice is whilst watching it do not look for a straightforward narrative.

Kylie Minogue evokes Jean Seberg channeling a tragic chanteuse. I'm not a Kylie fan but in this she's rather good. Denis Lavant is better known as the strange dude in the UNKLE video for Rabbit in the Headlights.

Best thing I've seen in ages.
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby duglas on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:43 pm

I found this film rather extraordinary, unexpectedly moving and brutal at the same time. Although it is a sci-fi film the Glasgow it portrayed felt the most real to me that I can recall seeing in any movie. When I left the GFT and turned the corner onto Sauchiehall Street I felt like I was still inside the movie.

DUGLAS
duglas
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Devotchik on Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:10 pm

L'Immortelle, 1963

Mind blown.. :o
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Devotchik on Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:26 pm

duglas wrote:I found this film rather extraordinary, unexpectedly moving and brutal at the same time. Although it is a sci-fi film the Glasgow it portrayed felt the most real to me that I can recall seeing in any movie. When I left the GFT and turned the corner onto Sauchiehall Street I felt like I was still inside the movie.

Yeah we bought the dvd of that the other day.
I found it a bit brutal in places. Almost like swinging from insensitivity to over-sensitivity - Scarlett Johanssen's 'Alien' character.. extremes. Also how sometimes keeping a guard up is the best thing to do, re: her eventual demise. As an after thought you think maybe her behaviour in the earlier part of the film could be seen as a protective behaviour because she journeys from predator to prey. No inbetween really, except for that one touching bedroom scene. Survival and coldness via naivete and innocence to finally being destroyed. Good film.
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Devotchik on Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:57 am

Pleasantville. Sometimes life can appear to be a little colourless.. If you ever find yourself wondering about what kind of impact a human being can have on the world in either a negative or a positive way then watch this.. Charming little film.
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Devotchik on Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:57 am

Watched Gravity last night. My two biggest fears: space and oceans.. Reason why I'm neither an astronaut or a deep sea diver.. Just glad I didn't watch it in 3D :shock:
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Devotchik on Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:51 am

Cobain: Montage of Heck is a joyful poignant celebration of life. It covers the bits of Kurt that those in to Nirvana around that time knew a hint of but also covers his private side.. His background, childhood, adolescence, adulthood and finally fatherhood.. through montages of family home movies, audio diary clips of Kurts, animations made from his sketches, family members and one or two very close friends (& Courtney too). I had a smile on my face and was genuinely laughing at the madcap nature of it all.. You have to see it. Being frustrated with the way Kurt has been lionised by the current younger generation who know the legend but never got to see anything of the context of how and why Nirvana got so popular in the first place i took along my youngest son and my daughter to see this. Glad i did. No longer will Kurt be just another antiauthoritarian mascot idol face on a tshirt.. Thats progress.
Devotchik
currywurst
currywurst

Postby duglas on Fri May 08, 2015 3:34 am

It was Orson Welles' 100th birthday on Wednesday and I re-watched F for Fake tonight. I hadn't seen it for something like 25 or 30 years. Back then it felt so incredibly bold, brilliant, inventive, inspiring, fearless, funny and wise. Seeing it again now it felt just as fresh and fantastic as it did when I first saw it. Exit Through The Gift Shop, a film I like very much, owes it a huge debt. It's been said that Welles never fulfilled his true potential but what he did was truly remarkable, one of the 20th Century's greatest artists, a real one off.

DUGLAS
duglas
currywurst
currywurst

Postby duglas on Sat May 30, 2015 1:32 am

I saw Ana Lily Amirpour's A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night.
I would have it as one of my top movies of the last decade. I found it fresh, romantic, subversive, at times funny and brutal. The last time I saw a new film that affected me this much was Under The Skin.

DUGLAS
duglas
currywurst
currywurst

PreviousNext

Return to Message Board