Ray Davies/The Kinks

Ray Davies/The Kinks

Postby MATT on Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:52 pm

Been listening to some Kinks recently and it seems to me that although Ray was a prolific songwriter, there were several weak songs padding out some of his more brilliant offerings. Although they have some great, era-defining songs, I wouldn't say consistency was their strong point.

Shangri-La is one of the greatest little tunes I've heard though.
Ready with ready wit.
MATT
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Trumpetwool on Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:38 pm

What songs are you talking about specifically?

I actually think The Kinks is one of THE MOST undervalued bands of its generation.

While there is a huge cult following of Kinks fans, classic rock radio has basically marginalized them to Herman's Hermits more eccentric brother and parsed their oeuvre down to "Lola" and "You Really Got Me."

Pete Townshend never fails to say how he stole everything from Ray Davies, and that's pretty much true.

You can't tell me that "Face to Face" through "Something Else", "Village Green", "Arthur" and "Lola" isn't one of the most consistently brilliant periods ever for a rock band.

Also, "Muswell Hillbillies and Misfits" is one of the best midlife crisis rock & roll records.
God save strawberry jam and all the different varieties.
Trumpetwool
chipolata
chipolata

Postby WearsDenim on Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:41 pm

I like the Kinks and think several of their songs are fantastic but there is just someting about them which stops me LOVING them as a band. They are kind of like the Supergrass of the 60s, lots of great songs, decent guys, but just not quite special enough to be on that top stratosphere...
Just kick my feet off the ground, I'll embrace the sky
WearsDenim
chorizo
chorizo

Postby Piggy-Pants on Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:45 pm

Isn't Ray Davies s'posed to be a bit of a swine? Still, it's usually the unhinged, evil bastards that make good music.
For all your acoustic retro murder ballad needs, visit -

www.myspace.com/mrplowsplace
www.mrplowsplace.co.uk
Piggy-Pants
andouillette
andouillette

Postby gerald on Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:20 pm

Someone tell me I'm not the only one who thinks Ray Davies and the Kinks are completely over- rated pish.
Sometimes there is nothing left to say except, "oh".
gerald
hot dog
hot dog

Postby Guest on Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:42 pm

Muswell Hillbillies is pish as are most of their albums. Face to Face is pish. The only one that is nearly good is Village Green. Arthur is mostly pish. Shangri la is a stand out, the rest is pish. To class them with the who is rediculous.

Postby Guest on Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:51 pm

Don't think you can class the Kinks with the Who. While the 'oo started off being heavily influenced if not even imitating the Kinks they developed into a band, especially live, that were almost untouchable.
Townshend never wrote anything as good as Waterloo Sunset though

Return to Message Board