Moldova 1 Scotland 1

Postby tomfoolery's dad on Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:18 pm

two left feet wrote:The press can smell the keech in the SFA's pants. They won't stop until the whole jobby is out.

Quote of the week!
The best way to waste time is to fill it. If you can read this, congratulations on your Légion d'Honneur.Image
tomfoolery's dad
Lorne Sausage
Lorne Sausage

Postby two left feet on Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:20 pm

tomfoolery's dad wrote:
two left feet wrote:The press can smell the keech in the SFA's pants. They won't stop until the whole jobby is out.

Quote of the week!
give me a minute... I think I can feel another one coming... mmmnnnnngggghhhmmmnnngghh
two left feet

Postby queen margaret drive on Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:14 pm

wee lamb wrote:how much would it cost? £1M?

every fan of football in the country could donate £1, sack BV, then have a big party with whatever's left. 8)

great idea wee lamb :D do the SFA take cheque?
queen margaret drive

Postby Guest on Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:30 pm

two left feet wrote:think about it. if Berti gets the boot now, wee Strachan will have to come in and finish a meaningless qualifying competition. any benefit from changing managers will have dissipated by the time it come to Euro 2008 qualifiers. I think it would be a good idea to appoint an interim manager - a complete diddy like Chick Young or Darius springs to mind. Leave Strachan for when it matters.

gazz?

Postby WearsDenim on Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:32 pm

Anonymous wrote:The recent clamour for the resignation or sacking of Berti Vogts has now become a vindictive, personal attack on a fellow human being. Berti’s crime is the inability to turn a clutch of largely third-rate, inept footballers into a team capable of beating second-rate opponents......

I'm sorry but I just cant agree with this. I know we don't have great players at our disposal but even a limited team should have been able to beat Moldova. The players on the park largely play at a higher level than the Moldovan counterparts for a start, aren't most of the amateur?

I just cant belileve we ended up with a defence we did. The Caldwell? Get to fuck. Iain Murray is a good player, but out of position and brought on for his first comepetitive game for Scotland at the worst possible time. Vogts' tactics are poor and unclear. We had no width, no-one who could cross a ball (certainly after Fletcher went off) and Ferguson and Cameron were totally out-numbered in midfield.

I just refuse to believe that people like Gary Holt, Darren Fletcher, Barry Ferguson and more are as bad players as they seemed to be last night.

And just to end this rant, who did Vogts sub last night? Naysmith (possibly the best Scotland player of the last few years), Fletcher (out great future hope, who despite having a poor game is mor elikely to do something than anyone else on the park) and our goalscorer. EH?!?!?!?!

Lee McCulloch? WTF?

Get Vogts out now. Dont care how much it costs. And then try and try and try to persuade Strachan to take the post.

Yes we don't have great players, but they are better than Vogts has made them.
Just kick my feet off the ground, I'll embrace the sky
WearsDenim
chorizo
chorizo

Postby stuart r on Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:43 pm

It does seem a bit daft to the outside observer that the SFA doesn't employ a Scottish manager. Its the one consistently good aspect of the Scottish game over the years.
stuart r

Postby Guest on Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:53 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The recent clamour for the resignation or sacking of Berti Vogts has now become a vindictive, personal attack on a fellow human being. Berti’s crime is the inability to turn a clutch of largely third-rate, inept footballers into a team capable of beating second-rate opponents.

The astonishing attacks on the manager over the last week or so have now become utterly tedious, and are in most cases devoid of any objective criticism, consisting wholly of spiteful verbiage and lazy sensationalist headlines.

It is particularly galling to see the staunch anti-Berti stance taken by those journalistic dynamos and powerhouse pundits like Mark Guidi and Charlie Nicholas, to name but two fully paid-up members of the pundit/press old pals mafia. Indeed it must be nothing short of new territory for Mr Guidi. His rampant Berti-bashing is a sea change from his usual brand of fawning sycophancy adopted when interviewing or writing about personalities from a certain Glasgow football club who play in blue.

Other journalists who really should know better have got in on the act as well. Alan Davidson, writing in the Evening Times, stated that Berti was something of a joke figure in Germany, and that his winning of the European Championship was little more than a fluke, which anybody could have done with those players.

I do not know which German intellectuals Mr Davidson has been talking to, but the opinion of Mr Vogts as being a “joke” is not one I have ever come across. As for the European Championship victory being a fluke, who does that explain France’s failure in the 2002 World Cup and this years’ European Championship, to name but a couple of examples? On both occasions they had probably the most gifted side in the competition, but without leadership and direction they failed. The same could not be said of Vogts’ German side of 1996.

The simple fact is this: Scotland’s players are, with a couple of exceptions, very poor footballers. By world standards, they are third rate. No other manager can change that fact.

I accept that there is definitely scope for criticism of Berti Vogts’ selection and tactics. In last night’s draw with Moldova, he persisted with a goalkeeper who has shown himself to be lacking in confidence when dealing with high balls, and who cannot command his area. David Marshall is a better goalkeeper than Craig Gordon, but was overlooked again. This is despite Gordon’s poor performance against Slovenia in which he was exposed, and lucky not to concede two goals. His indecision against Norway cost Scotland both a point, and the appearance last night of James McFadden.

Darren Fletcher, who has been hailed as a “wonderkid”, has not produced an acceptable performance in a Scotland jersey in the last two games. His distribution, timing and awareness were badly exposed as inept by an enthusiastic Moldovan midfield. Stevie Crawford proved that he is not a top class striker when he missed two gilt-edged chances against Spain last month. He did nothing last night to give reason to change that opinion.

But save for these few options of changes in playing staff, the bottom line is that Berti Vogts is doing his utmost to secure world cup qualification for Scotland. But with the players he has at his disposal, it is almost an impossible task. Berti would like nothing more than to march into Munich with his adopted country, and ram the words of his Scottish and German critics right down their throats in his homeland.

People are entitled to criticise, but when it gets personal it is time to draw a line. Nobody else could do a better job with those players.

wise words.

Postby Guest on Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:58 pm

I bet we'll get walter smith as manager next, more overlooked tic talent :cry: more barren seasons, jimmy wig petting and stomping, Jimmy wigs damp with tears... its more than we deserve. :D we have become the worst nation in europe at football having last night suffered defeat by europes lowest seed

Postby Guest on Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:01 pm

... now we can strive to become the worst in the world. it is achievable. it is within our grasp. then we can enter our squad in paralympics 2008 and play against the crippled althletes. :D

Postby siobhan's dad on Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:02 pm

Anonymous wrote:The recent clamour for the resignation or sacking of Berti Vogts has now become a vindictive, personal attack on a fellow human being. Berti’s crime is the inability to turn a clutch of largely third-rate, inept footballers into a team capable of beating second-rate opponents.

The astonishing attacks on the manager over the last week or so have now become utterly tedious, and are in most cases devoid of any objective criticism, consisting wholly of spiteful verbiage and lazy sensationalist headlines.

It is particularly galling to see the staunch anti-Berti stance taken by those journalistic dynamos and powerhouse pundits like Mark Guidi and Charlie Nicholas, to name but two fully paid-up members of the pundit/press old pals mafia. Indeed it must be nothing short of new territory for Mr Guidi. His rampant Berti-bashing is a sea change from his usual brand of fawning sycophancy adopted when interviewing or writing about personalities from a certain Glasgow football club who play in blue.

Other journalists who really should know better have got in on the act as well. Alan Davidson, writing in the Evening Times, stated that Berti was something of a joke figure in Germany, and that his winning of the European Championship was little more than a fluke, which anybody could have done with those players.

I do not know which German intellectuals Mr Davidson has been talking to, but the opinion of Mr Vogts as being a “joke” is not one I have ever come across. As for the European Championship victory being a fluke, who does that explain France’s failure in the 2002 World Cup and this years’ European Championship, to name but a couple of examples? On both occasions they had probably the most gifted side in the competition, but without leadership and direction they failed. The same could not be said of Vogts’ German side of 1996.

The simple fact is this: Scotland’s players are, with a couple of exceptions, very poor footballers. By world standards, they are third rate. No other manager can change that fact.

I accept that there is definitely scope for criticism of Berti Vogts’ selection and tactics. In last night’s draw with Moldova, he persisted with a goalkeeper who has shown himself to be lacking in confidence when dealing with high balls, and who cannot command his area. David Marshall is a better goalkeeper than Craig Gordon, but was overlooked again. This is despite Gordon’s poor performance against Slovenia in which he was exposed, and lucky not to concede two goals. His indecision against Norway cost Scotland both a point, and the appearance last night of James McFadden.

Darren Fletcher, who has been hailed as a “wonderkid”, has not produced an acceptable performance in a Scotland jersey in the last two games. His distribution, timing and awareness were badly exposed as inept by an enthusiastic Moldovan midfield. Stevie Crawford proved that he is not a top class striker when he missed two gilt-edged chances against Spain last month. He did nothing last night to give reason to change that opinion.

But save for these few options of changes in playing staff, the bottom line is that Berti Vogts is doing his utmost to secure world cup qualification for Scotland. But with the players he has at his disposal, it is almost an impossible task. Berti would like nothing more than to march into Munich with his adopted country, and ram the words of his Scottish and German critics right down their throats in his homeland.

People are entitled to criticise, but when it gets personal it is time to draw a line. Nobody else could do a better job with those players.

Couple of points here.

1. Berti Vogts is a poor manager of the Scotland team. Fact.
2. Craig Gordon is a much better keeper than David Marshall. Fact.
3. Why are you bothered? The Republic of Ireland won.
If this were the Seine, we'd be very suave;
But it's just the rain, washing down the boulevard.
siobhan's dad
kielbasa
kielbasa

Postby Guest on Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:11 pm

. Craig Gordon is a much better keeper than David Marshall. Fact

prove it. :D

Postby siobhan's dad on Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:20 pm

Anonymous wrote:
. Craig Gordon is a much better keeper than David Marshall. Fact

prove it. :D

Who's let in more goals this season? All games. (clue: Craig Gordon didnae score for Hungary)
If this were the Seine, we'd be very suave;
But it's just the rain, washing down the boulevard.
siobhan's dad
kielbasa
kielbasa

Postby Guest on Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:17 pm

siobhan's dad wrote:

Couple of points here.

1. Berti Vogts is a poor manager of the Scotland team. Fact.
2. Craig Gordon is a much better keeper than David Marshall. Fact.
3. Why are you bothered? The Republic of Ireland won.[/quote]

Whit??

1. Berti Vogts is a manager of a poor Scotland team. The poorest ever, probably.
2. Ofcourse he is. He proved that with his towering performance against Slovenia and Norway. Much better than Marshall's performances against Barcelona, saving a penalty against Ronaldinho, making consistently awe-inspiring saves against European opposition, Rangers etc. etc.
3. Fud. So Celtic supporters/Catholics aren't allowed to support Scotland and all have to support Eire? I bet you've even got some racist jokes about potatoes and famines.

Postby Aiden McGeadys Dad on Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:32 pm

Celtic supporters/Catholics aren't allowed to support Scotland?
Aiden McGeadys Dad

Postby Guest on Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:44 pm

It looks like Berti will jack it in next week according to TV.

PreviousNext

Return to Message Board