Moldova 1 Scotland 1

Moldova 1 Scotland 1

Postby i hate scotland on Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:50 pm

Outclassed by a 4th rate team. Cheerio Berti.
When you're tired, and there's nothing in your head
When you're tired, and feel like going to bed,
Write what you're thinking, and you'll find,
You've left a special message behind.
i hate scotland
chorizo
chorizo

Postby mrduck on Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:21 pm

yeah they made the Moldovans look well slick , Berti should be sacked but the underlying thing is Scottish football is rotten to the core, the full thing needs overhauled and its gonna take years to do it :(
whoever gets the job tho has 2 years though to build a team to qualify for the euros
If he was from Venus, would he feed us with a spoon?
If he was from Mars, wouldn't that be cool?
mrduck
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby DrMarten on Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:47 pm

Did anybody see the Wales v Poland game?

9.15 Wales 1 - Poland 0

9.45 Wales 1 - Poland 3

Goodbye Sparky, I hope you achieve similar success with Blackburn.
Bless my heart and soul, I'm already there
DrMarten
chipolata
chipolata

Postby tarzan on Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:27 pm

i seriously thought the moldovans had a couple of very good players.
erm #7 and #11. :oops:
tarzan
chipolata
chipolata

Postby kevkov on Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:59 pm

christ that was muck...absolute muck...we couldnt string three passes together against the 132nd best team in the world...absolutely depressing and wee berti is surely for the off....please...
kevkov
andouillette
andouillette

Postby two left feet on Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:56 am

think about it. if Berti gets the boot now, wee Strachan will have to come in and finish a meaningless qualifying competition. any benefit from changing managers will have dissipated by the time it come to Euro 2008 qualifiers. I think it would be a good idea to appoint an interim manager - a complete diddy like Chick Young or Darius springs to mind. Leave Strachan for when it matters.
two left feet

Postby two left feet again on Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:04 am

and anyway, the SFA won't sack him - too expensive. he'd have to resign which doesn't look likely.
two left feet again

Postby siobhan's dad on Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:14 am

two left feet again wrote:and anyway, the SFA won't sack him - too expensive. he'd have to resign which doesn't look likely.

Correct!

I think that they can let him go after the last WC Qual game if (ehm, WHEN) we dinnae qualify.
If this were the Seine, we'd be very suave;
But it's just the rain, washing down the boulevard.
siobhan's dad
kielbasa
kielbasa

Postby wee lamb on Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:30 am

two left feet again wrote:and anyway, the SFA won't sack him - too expensive.

how much would it cost? £1M?

every fan of football in the country could donate £1, sack BV, then have a big party with whatever's left. 8)
wee lamb

Postby Guest on Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:53 am

The recent clamour for the resignation or sacking of Berti Vogts has now become a vindictive, personal attack on a fellow human being. Berti’s crime is the inability to turn a clutch of largely third-rate, inept footballers into a team capable of beating second-rate opponents.

The astonishing attacks on the manager over the last week or so have now become utterly tedious, and are in most cases devoid of any objective criticism, consisting wholly of spiteful verbiage and lazy sensationalist headlines.

It is particularly galling to see the staunch anti-Berti stance taken by those journalistic dynamos and powerhouse pundits like Mark Guidi and Charlie Nicholas, to name but two fully paid-up members of the pundit/press old pals mafia. Indeed it must be nothing short of new territory for Mr Guidi. His rampant Berti-bashing is a sea change from his usual brand of fawning sycophancy adopted when interviewing or writing about personalities from a certain Glasgow football club who play in blue.

Other journalists who really should know better have got in on the act as well. Alan Davidson, writing in the Evening Times, stated that Berti was something of a joke figure in Germany, and that his winning of the European Championship was little more than a fluke, which anybody could have done with those players.

I do not know which German intellectuals Mr Davidson has been talking to, but the opinion of Mr Vogts as being a “joke” is not one I have ever come across. As for the European Championship victory being a fluke, who does that explain France’s failure in the 2002 World Cup and this years’ European Championship, to name but a couple of examples? On both occasions they had probably the most gifted side in the competition, but without leadership and direction they failed. The same could not be said of Vogts’ German side of 1996.

The simple fact is this: Scotland’s players are, with a couple of exceptions, very poor footballers. By world standards, they are third rate. No other manager can change that fact.

I accept that there is definitely scope for criticism of Berti Vogts’ selection and tactics. In last night’s draw with Moldova, he persisted with a goalkeeper who has shown himself to be lacking in confidence when dealing with high balls, and who cannot command his area. David Marshall is a better goalkeeper than Craig Gordon, but was overlooked again. This is despite Gordon’s poor performance against Slovenia in which he was exposed, and lucky not to concede two goals. His indecision against Norway cost Scotland both a point, and the appearance last night of James McFadden.

Darren Fletcher, who has been hailed as a “wonderkid”, has not produced an acceptable performance in a Scotland jersey in the last two games. His distribution, timing and awareness were badly exposed as inept by an enthusiastic Moldovan midfield. Stevie Crawford proved that he is not a top class striker when he missed two gilt-edged chances against Spain last month. He did nothing last night to give reason to change that opinion.

But save for these few options of changes in playing staff, the bottom line is that Berti Vogts is doing his utmost to secure world cup qualification for Scotland. But with the players he has at his disposal, it is almost an impossible task. Berti would like nothing more than to march into Munich with his adopted country, and ram the words of his Scottish and German critics right down their throats in his homeland.

People are entitled to criticise, but when it gets personal it is time to draw a line. Nobody else could do a better job with those players.

Postby Guest on Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:54 am

Why have my commas and apostrophes changed into #8270????

Is Berti now a robot named Berti&#8217???

What's happening?

Postby Guest on Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:00 pm

Anonymous wrote:Nobody else could do a better job with those players.

Rubbish. No one could do any worse with these players. :evil:

Postby two left feet on Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:08 pm

Anonymous wrote:Why have my commas and apostrophes changed into #8270????

Is Berti now a robot named Berti&#8217???

What's happening?
you are probably cutting and pasting from Word. Or else Norman has installed an anti Berti-apologist script that sabotages the word 'Berti'.

I agree that there's no call for personal attacks, but Scotland's journalism is no better than its football or its parliament or its standard of education or its health record etc etc. It's a third-rate nation and it's currently underachieving.

The press can smell the keech in the SFA's pants. They won't stop until the whole jobby is out.
two left feet

Postby beat on Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:11 pm

"You can call me Berti McVogts". Oh dear. But Rudi Völler will look for a new manager job very soon. :roll: beat
The one thing that would make the world alright today would be if Teenage Fanclub showed up to play a gig in my house.

http://www.myspace.com/beatkoenig
beat
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby henry hunt on Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:11 pm

here, did i read somewhere that the houses of parliament at westminster were finished 14 years late and 700% over the projected budget?

makes holyrood's problems look a little less embarassing...
henry hunt

Next

Return to Message Board