Franz Ferdinand Don't Owe TFC Anything?

Franz Ferdinand Don't Owe TFC Anything?

Postby Trumpetwool on Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:57 pm

In the latest Spin with Franz Ferdinand on the cover, there is a sidebar on the Scottish bands that Franz kind of owe a debt to. It starts with Bay City Rollers and ends with Belle and Sebastian -- TFC are never mentioned.

Now, Franz may not sound anything like TFC, but they don't sound a heck of a lot like Belle or even Jesus and Mary Chain for that matter.

D'ya think Spin screwed up?
God save strawberry jam and all the different varieties.
Trumpetwool
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Georgia on Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:44 pm

I don't get the connection between either of them and FF except country of origin.

...but if there's going to be no rhyme or reason to it, they could at least have remembered who made the album that topped their 1991 best-of list and shown a little respect. :x
Georgia
mortadella
mortadella

Re: Franz Ferdinand Don't Owe TFC Anything?

Postby Guest on Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:52 pm

Trumpetwool wrote:In the latest Spin with Franz Ferdinand on the cover, there is a sidebar on the Scottish bands that Franz kind of owe a debt to. It starts with Bay City Rollers and ends with Belle and Sebastian -- TFC are never mentioned.

Now, Franz may not sound anything like TFC, but they don't sound a heck of a lot like Belle or even Jesus and Mary Chain for that matter.

I bet FF didn't come up with the list and even if they did, so fuck. Can't hear any musical connection to the fanclub, so why would they mention them? Let them enjoy their success. Who cares if they sound a little bit like a few other bands? Every band has its influences. Now is their time. It might not last but good luck to them.

Re: Franz Ferdinand Don't Owe TFC Anything?

Postby Trumpetwool on Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:11 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Trumpetwool wrote:In the latest Spin with Franz Ferdinand on the cover, there is a sidebar on the Scottish bands that Franz kind of owe a debt to. It starts with Bay City Rollers and ends with Belle and Sebastian -- TFC are never mentioned.

I bet FF didn't come up with the list and even if they did, so fuck. Can't hear any musical connection to the fanclub, so why would they mention them? Let them enjoy their success. Who cares if they sound a little bit like a few other bands? Every band has its influences. Now is their time. It might not last but good luck to them.

My criticism is with Spin, not FF -- I'm sure they had nothing to do with this. I must agree with Georgia that if you are going to call out what essentially amounts to a grab bag of the most influential Scottish bands since the '70s, TFC at least rates a mention.
God save strawberry jam and all the different varieties.
Trumpetwool
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Georgia on Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:20 pm

Not having seen this suspicious sidebar myself, I would assume that they may be talking about other kinds of "debt" - not strictly musical ones. Bay City Rollers, I can't fathom, but B&S I can maybe see in that, in the US anyway, the relatively big success they had w/ DCW may have gone some way toward focusing media attention on bands from Scotland with FF perhaps being beneficiaries of that. You know, they're always looking for a "scene" to latch onto.
Georgia
mortadella
mortadella

Postby siobhan's dad on Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:40 am

Franz Ferdinand are a popped-up Josef K rip-off. Fact. Paul Haig will be turning in his grave (except he's no' deed). Anybody unfamiliar with Josef K and has the new Rough Trade compy thing play track 3 on disc 2 to see what I mean.
If this were the Seine, we'd be very suave;
But it's just the rain, washing down the boulevard.
siobhan's dad
kielbasa
kielbasa

Postby Guest on Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:13 am

FF cannae play fast enough to rip off Josef K. :twisted:

Return to Message Board