The decline in singles sales

The decline in singles sales

Postby dogonwheels on Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:31 am

Blamed on downloading apparently. :? Could it not be because the majority of singles aimed at the charts are absolute rubbish.
This weeks top ten :-


1. Robbie Williams - ‘Radio’
2. Eric Prydz – ‘Call On Me’
3. Rachel Stevens – ‘More More More’
4. Khia – ‘My Neck My Back (Lick It)’
5. Duran Duran – ‘(Reach Up For The) Sunrise’
6. Deep Dish – ‘Flashdance’
7. Lucie Silvas – ‘What You’re Made Of’
8. Angel City – ‘Do You Know (I Go Crazy)’
9. Christina Milian – ‘Whatever You Want’
10. Ronan Keating – ‘I Hope You Dance’

Other than the Williams track which is absolutely abysmal I haven't heard of any of these tracks at all.
Your obsession gets you known throughout the school for being strange, making lifesize models of The Velvet Underground in clay.
User avatar
dogonwheels
andouillette
andouillette
 
Posts: 1946
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:45 am
Location: Manchester

Re: The decline in singles sales

Postby john on Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:01 am

dogonwheels wrote:Blamed on downloading apparently. :? Could it not be because the majority of singles aimed at the charts are absolute rubbish.
This weeks top ten :-


1. Robbie Williams - ‘Radio’
2. Eric Prydz – ‘Call On Me’
3. Rachel Stevens – ‘More More More’
4. Khia – ‘My Neck My Back (Lick It)’
5. Duran Duran – ‘(Reach Up For The) Sunrise’
6. Deep Dish – ‘Flashdance’
7. Lucie Silvas – ‘What You’re Made Of’
8. Angel City – ‘Do You Know (I Go Crazy)’
9. Christina Milian – ‘Whatever You Want’
10. Ronan Keating – ‘I Hope You Dance’

Other than the Williams track which is absolutely abysmal I haven't heard of any of these tracks at all.


I've heard a good few of them and they're no worse than some of the things that have sold millions of copies i.e years worth of Madonna and Kylie and Jason and all that kinda pish. There's no doubt that downloading is killing the singles chart and if the industry are going to keep bombarding us with this substandard shiite then they have no-one to blame but themselves.
john
pepperoni
pepperoni
 
Posts: 3285
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:11 am

Postby retlivdead on Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:21 am

I can't remeber the last single I bought, I think it may have been did I say. They are a total waste of money most bands now seem to just stick live tracks or remixes on the b side rather than new songs and that puts me off buying them.
User avatar
retlivdead
andouillette
andouillette
 
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:55 am
Location: Birmingham, UK
Top

Postby Guest on Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:40 am

you're just getting older. the world seems different. don't be afraid.
Guest
 
Top

Postby MR on Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:15 am

how fecking bad is that duran duran song, they need dealt with :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
MR
 
Top

Postby Stu on Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:26 am

I heard that Robbie Williams song this morning...and... oh the humanity. Who is buying this rubbish?

and the less said about that Rachael Stevens abonimation the better - i mean for f*ck sake. If you buy this for ANY reason you deserve to be dragged out into the streets and shot in the face.
I mean, someone somewhere must be having a laugh to release this.

Theres has always been a place for manufactured pop, but todays charts are a complete joke

Downloading is killing music? get a grip!
Disco Stu.....likes Disco Music!
User avatar
Stu
chipolata
chipolata
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2003 12:37 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Top

Postby shaun on Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:24 pm

i listen to radio 1 and weep.but havnt the charts ALWAYS been utter shit,with the odd diamond now and a gain?i do miss buying singles with 4 tracks though.i too cant remember the last single i bought,nor can i think of the last b-side that i really loved.a link maybe?
Image
i put my arm around her waist,she put me on the ground with judo.
Image
User avatar
shaun
andouillette
andouillette
 
Posts: 1638
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:48 pm
Location: falling asleep by an empty stream.
Top

Postby dogonwheels on Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:19 pm

Anonymous wrote:you're just getting older. the world seems different. don't be afraid.

That argument just doesn't wash. Just check out any random top 40 from the mid to late 60's and nearly every track on the chart is a classic or well known at least. I just found this one at random for example :-


Top 40 Hits of Mid August 1967

1 Scott McKenzie San Francisco (Be Sure To Wear Some Flowers In Your Hair)
2 Beatles All You Need Is Love
3 Tom Jones I'll Never Fall In Love Again
4 Dave Davies Death Of A Clown
5 Tremeloes Even The Bad Times Are Good
6 Anita Harris Just Loving You
7 Stevie Wonder I Was Made To Love Her
8 Alan Price Set The House That Jack Built
9 Johnny Mann Singers Up, Up And Away
10 Mamas & The Papas Creeque Alley
11 Vikki Carr It Must Be Him (Seul Sur Son Etoile)
12 Turtles She'd Rather Be With Me
13 Amen Corner Gin House Blues
14 Monkees Pleasant Valley Sunday
15 Small Faces Itchycoo Park
16 Monkees Alternate Title
17 Engelbert Humperdinck There Goes My Everything
18 Pink Floyd See Emily Play
19 Nancy Sinatra / Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood You Only Live Twice / Jackson
20 Otis Redding & Carla Thomas Tramp
21 Keith West Excerpt From 'A Teenage Opera'
22 Desmond Dekker & The Aces 7
23 Cat Stevens A Bad Night
24 Lulu Let's Pretend
25 Cliff Richard The Day I Met Marie
26 Procol Harum A Whiter Shade Of Pale
27 Rolling Stones We Love You / Dandelion
28 Vanilla Fudge You Keep Me Hanging On
29 Gladys Knight & The Pips Take Me In Your Arms And Love Me
30 Engelbert Humperdinck The Last Waltz
31 Spencer Davis Group Time Seller
32 Eddie Floyd Things Get Better
33 Jim Reeves Trying To Forget
34 Happenings My Mammy
35 Topol If I Were A Rich Man
36 Beach Boys Heroes And Villains
37 John Walker Annabella
38 Aretha Franklin Respect
39 Flowerpot Men Let's Go To San Francisco
40 Frankie Vaughan There Must Be A Way

Slightly more interesting chart don't you think.
This site is ace and has all the old charts from years ago. The 60's ones were truly amazing.

http://www.everyhit.com/retrocharts/
Your obsession gets you known throughout the school for being strange, making lifesize models of The Velvet Underground in clay.
User avatar
dogonwheels
andouillette
andouillette
 
Posts: 1946
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:45 am
Location: Manchester
Top

Postby Guest on Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:29 pm

top of the pops does an album chart run down too now i think, another example of the single charts becoming more and more irrelevant.
Guest
 
Top

Postby Guest on Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:44 pm

I see, dog on wheels, I didn't realise the initial post was stating: "things were better in the 60s" I thought it was just more whining about how things used to be better, bullets flew faster, you could buy a tortoise.
I stand corrected.
Guest
 
Top

Postby Trumpetwool on Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:16 pm

I do really think it is the downloading in the end. Right now it is so singles driven with Itunes and such.

However, when the music sux nobody is gonna buy.

It helps when artists put out unique singles like TFC's from SFNB - really beautiful cover shots and songs you couldn't get elsewhere. Morrissey has also been really great about how his singles are packaged.
God save strawberry jam and all the different varieties.
User avatar
Trumpetwool
chipolata
chipolata
 
Posts: 485
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:16 pm
Location: Great Lakes State
Top

Postby MATT on Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:31 pm

I would also blame radio playlists, the demise of the non-album single, and the rediculous decision to make any single containing more than two b-sides non chart eligible. The recent two track idea won't help either.

If you like a band, you'll have the album. Unless you hang on every word they say, you won't buy the single for one or two more tracks.
Ready with ready wit.
User avatar
MATT
pepperoni
pepperoni
 
Posts: 4029
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 1:31 pm
Location: J'en ai marre.
Top

Postby Guest on Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:49 pm

What they need is one format, five tracks, one from the album and four new ones. It could include a couple of covers and it'd be better value for money. Multiple formats suck and the public just end up confused.
Guest
 
Top

Postby jodyq on Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:54 pm

just bought Dogs die in hot cars--lounger

on 7 inch vinyl--99p

poo group, great song
With the right kind of eyes,you can almost see the high watermark-the place where the wave broke and rolled back.
User avatar
jodyq
pepperoni
pepperoni
 
Posts: 3599
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:43 pm
Location: Belfast
Top

Postby shaun on Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:23 pm

dogonwheels wrote:
Anonymous wrote:you're just getting older. the world seems different. don't be afraid.

That argument just doesn't wash. Just check out any random top 40 from the mid to late 60's and nearly every track on the chart is a classic or well known at least. I just found this one at random for example :-


Top 40 Hits of Mid August 1967

1 Scott McKenzie San Francisco (Be Sure To Wear Some Flowers In Your Hair)
2 Beatles All You Need Is Love
3 Tom Jones I'll Never Fall In Love Again
4 Dave Davies Death Of A Clown
5 Tremeloes Even The Bad Times Are Good
6 Anita Harris Just Loving You
7 Stevie Wonder I Was Made To Love Her
8 Alan Price Set The House That Jack Built
9 Johnny Mann Singers Up, Up And Away
10 Mamas & The Papas Creeque Alley
11 Vikki Carr It Must Be Him (Seul Sur Son Etoile)
12 Turtles She'd Rather Be With Me
13 Amen Corner Gin House Blues
14 Monkees Pleasant Valley Sunday
15 Small Faces Itchycoo Park
16 Monkees Alternate Title
17 Engelbert Humperdinck There Goes My Everything
18 Pink Floyd See Emily Play
19 Nancy Sinatra / Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood You Only Live Twice / Jackson
20 Otis Redding & Carla Thomas Tramp
21 Keith West Excerpt From 'A Teenage Opera'
22 Desmond Dekker & The Aces 7
23 Cat Stevens A Bad Night
24 Lulu Let's Pretend
25 Cliff Richard The Day I Met Marie
26 Procol Harum A Whiter Shade Of Pale
27 Rolling Stones We Love You / Dandelion
28 Vanilla Fudge You Keep Me Hanging On
29 Gladys Knight & The Pips Take Me In Your Arms And Love Me
30 Engelbert Humperdinck The Last Waltz
31 Spencer Davis Group Time Seller
32 Eddie Floyd Things Get Better
33 Jim Reeves Trying To Forget
34 Happenings My Mammy
35 Topol If I Were A Rich Man
36 Beach Boys Heroes And Villains
37 John Walker Annabella
38 Aretha Franklin Respect
39 Flowerpot Men Let's Go To San Francisco
40 Frankie Vaughan There Must Be A Way

Slightly more interesting chart don't you think.
This site is ace and has all the old charts from years ago. The 60's ones were truly amazing.

http://www.everyhit.com/retrocharts/


blimey,you cant argue with that can you?the only ithing i can think of is the above records where not aimed at 15 year old kids
Image
i put my arm around her waist,she put me on the ground with judo.
Image
User avatar
shaun
andouillette
andouillette
 
Posts: 1638
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:48 pm
Location: falling asleep by an empty stream.
Top

Next

Return to Message Board

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests