Ken Bigley RIP

Postby Meeee on Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:53 pm

Anyone being murdered is 'wrong', but I have no feelings of mass sympathy really. He was out there on BIG money - his choice, his risk, his consequences. Billy C only said what a lot of people were thinking. Maybe his timing wasn't so good but his thoughts weren't unique. A rescue mission was out of the question and I believe it would have risked younger people's lives to rescue him so couldn't have supported that either. UK and USA have partly caused the circumstances that bring these consequences to us in this very direct way. If my Dad, who was 60 yesterday, had said he had plans to go to work in Iraq I'd have taken his passport and burnt it first. I strongly believe this situation will happen again. As someone who has a close relative working in the aid field I can see why humanitarian organisations are providing help and support, but I can't understand anyone who values their life so cheaply by going to work for financial gain. We will have to live with these incidents as long as western greed for quick money continues. I don't agree with fundamentalism of any variety or creed, but I feel inclined to think that all acts have a risk of consequences and all chosen acts must be weighed against the possible consequences, however slight they may seem at the time there is always a risk. Very sadly this man suffered the worst of the consequences of working in Iraq.
Meeee

Postby Guest on Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:48 pm

We will have to live with these incidents as long as western greed for quick money continues.

The poor guy wasn't making that much money. It's insulting to suggest that he was killed because he was a greedy westerner.

Postby Rhoobarb on Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:12 pm

Anonymous wrote:
We will have to live with these incidents as long as western greed for quick money continues.

The poor guy wasn't making that much money. It's insulting to suggest that he was killed because he was a greedy westerner.

There was an interview I saw somewhere recently with a squadie complaining that he is being paid £18000 a year to guard engineers in Iraq earning £6000 a week. They're earning big money.

Terrible thing to have your life ended like that, but at the end of the day he went to a war zone. Them's the chances you take.
Rhoobarb
hot dog
hot dog

Postby jodyq on Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:59 pm

I wish the media would get some fucking perspective here--

minutes silence before the footie for 1 GUY WHO GOT MURDERED!

not even at a match in his hometown either
ITV news had a FUCKING OBITUARY OF HIS LIFE yesterday.

Jesus, all murders are terrible, but really this is media bullshit

As for his brother--` hes getting an Irish passport, that`ll help,everyone loves the Irish.` hopeful yet stupid.

Bet Connolly feels bad--wishing the `joke` had at least been funny.
With the right kind of eyes,you can almost see the high watermark-the place where the wave broke and rolled back.
jodyq
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby themanwithsalthair on Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:08 pm

jodyq wrote:I wish the media would get some fucking perspective here--

Jesus, all murders are terrible, but really this is media bullshit

It precisely plays into the hands of his captors and will encourage them to do it again. A story about him dominated half of the new bulletin last week, and then they casually mentioned that two British soldiers had been killed. Iraqi civilians are worth even less.

Warped.
Donkeys are like you and me;
They like to love and
swim in the sea.
themanwithsalthair
andouillette
andouillette

Previous

Return to Message Board