Death Cab For Cutie

Death Cab For Cutie

Postby Jimmer on Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:46 am

Am new to the board (I like it by the way), so have no idea who likes what or whether you all know this band, but I can really recommend them. Had a couple of records that I liked then saw them live and it all made sense.

Really recommend you give "We have the facts and we're voting yes" a go. It is superb.

Sozzer if you know all this already.
Unless I'm hugely mistaken Jo Wiley is, actually, satan.
Jimmer
chipolata
chipolata

Re: Death Cab For Cutie

Postby bithead on Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:51 am

Hi Jimmer!

I think there are many DCFC fans in this board. there were some posts time to time. of course I like them and Postal Service was my top 5 album 2003. also enjoyed Ben Gibbard on KEXP acoustic show. have you heard that?
Youth is not a time of life, it's a state of mind.

http://teenagefanclub.jugem.cc/
bithead
currywurst
currywurst

Postby john on Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:13 pm

Another big fan here...We have the facts...is a great album but my favourite is The Photo Album. Transatlanticism aint to shabby either.
john
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Ponyboy on Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:23 pm

their song on the Daniel Johnston Tribute is quality
Stay Gold
Ponyboy
mortadella
mortadella

Postby Jimmer on Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:38 pm

Not heard the acoustic show. Bet that was great. Any idea where I can get it from?

Struggling a bit with the postal service stuff. Will give it a proper try I think later.

Ace band though, really hope they come back to Bristol.
Jimmer
chipolata
chipolata

Postby john on Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:21 pm

here you go Jimmer:

http://www.hardlylove.net/mp3/
john
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Jimmer on Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:27 pm

Cheers matey. However, unfortunately my computer is basically a type writer with a big ego, so can't do clever stuff like that. Will get someone else to sort it for me.

Or finally get round to getting a decent computer.

Cheers.
Jimmer
chipolata
chipolata

Postby WearsDenim on Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:49 am

I think this band's name always put me off, it makes them sound like a death metal group or something.

But I've only heard a couple of tracks, one which John put on a CD for me (thanks Cap'n ) and a cover of Avril Lavigne's Complicated and both were pretty good.

So what do they sound like and what should I buy?
Just kick my feet off the ground, I'll embrace the sky
WearsDenim
chorizo
chorizo

Postby john on Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:54 am

WearsDenim wrote:I think this band's name always put me off, it makes them sound like a death metal group or something.

But I've only heard a couple of tracks, one which John put on a CD for me (thanks Cap'n ) and a cover of Avril Lavigne's Complicated and both were pretty good.

So what do they sound like and what should I buy?

You're prolly best starting with the mp3s linked above. They're acoustic but give you a flavour for the songwriting.

From there I would go for The Photo Album which is pretty much the one that brought them to fame. I cant remember which track I put on the CD I did for you WD -> was it A Lack of Colour? That's from Transatlanticism.
john
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Devotchik on Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:47 pm

WearsDenim wrote:I think this band's name always put me off, it makes them sound like a death metal group or something.

Having just got the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band album 'Gorilla' the other week I'm assuming that is where they got the name from? :)
Devotchik

Postby john on Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:49 pm

Tat wrote:

Having just got the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band album 'Gorilla' the other week I'm assuming that is where they got the name from? :)

yup.
john
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Namni Nytram on Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:40 pm

i heard a song on 6music the other day called the sound of settling (i think?) which is the first i've heard of them, and very impressed / surprised i was too. i guess i thought they were some identikit metal or emo act, didn't expect an actual tune... so where's the starting point?
"between here and that old car it's 25 paces. make them"

http://www.thisisnottv.co.uk
Namni Nytram
andouillette
andouillette

Postby Georgia on Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:07 am

Namni Nytram wrote:i heard a song on 6music the other day called the sound of settling (i think?) which is the first i've heard of them, and very impressed / surprised i was too. i guess i thought they were some identikit metal or emo act, didn't expect an actual tune... so where's the starting point?

Just played a little clip of this track from AMG and it's not too bad at all. I never made an effort to check them out - you know, too many bands, too little time. Then, was somewhat put off when I heard some dreadfully depressing dirge seeping out of a jukebox, got off my barstool to check who it was - with the aim of avoiding it in the future - and found out it was them. These more uptempo tunes are pretty pleasant, though. Probably have enjoyed them on the same jukebox without realizing it. The vocals sorta remind me of someone else, but I can't think who. Wayne Coyne maybe, a little. I dunno.
Georgia
mortadella
mortadella

Postby bithead on Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:11 am

Youth is not a time of life, it's a state of mind.

http://teenagefanclub.jugem.cc/
bithead
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Jimmer on Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:48 am

Really think that "we have the facts and we are voting yes" is the choice album. First time I heard it I thought it was bit wishy washy but I keep coming back to it. Fantastic stuff on there.
Jimmer
chipolata
chipolata

Return to Message Board