it's a long walk home / but I've found my beat
matzerath
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Meeee on Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:21 pm

respect to a great man and an excellent life well lived
Meeee

Postby Gazz on Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:42 pm

A hell of a player, manager and family man! Robbed of the Engalnd job in his prime by the F.A. nonces.

Another less publicised fact about Cloughie apart from his obvious successes at Forest and Derby, was that it was he with Peter Taylor that layed the foundations for Brighton to rise from the depths of the old 3rd division in 1974 to be a top 6 1st Division (now Premier) side by the early 80's!

A true legend on and off the pitch has left us, he will be missed :(
RIP
"The world is very blue, and becoming bluer with every passing year"!
Gazz
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Ponyboy on Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:47 pm

"If God wanted us to play football in the air, then he would have built a pitch in the clouds"

RIP
Stay Gold
Ponyboy
mortadella
mortadella

Postby TimJ on Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:11 pm

The man was a true legend, a real one off. Character, personality, charm, wit, okay so not so much on the charm, but above all else wisdom. RIP
TimJ
chipolata
chipolata

Postby j y t on Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:17 pm

a genius. :)
j y t

Postby i hate scotland on Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:28 pm

Ponyboy wrote:"If God wanted us to play football in the air, then he would have built a pitch in the clouds"

RIP

A fitting epitaph, nice quote Ponyboy.

RIP
When you're tired, and there's nothing in your head
When you're tired, and feel like going to bed,
Write what you're thinking, and you'll find,
You've left a special message behind.
i hate scotland
chorizo
chorizo

Postby Andy B on Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:25 am

A truly sad day. He brought to reality the wildest deams of us Forest fans (and Derby fans too).
There will be many a tear shed during the minute silence at the next 2 home matches.
Can you award knighthoods posthumously? Really grates on me to see Fergie with one and not Cloughie, whose achievements were far greater, bearing in mind the resources at his disposal.
Andy B
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Guest on Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:08 am

Cloughie's classic quotes

Brian Clough seemed to have a great one-liner ready for every occasion. Here are some of the best...

Monday September 20, 2004
The Guardian

"Manchester United in Brazil? I hope they all get bloody diarrhoea" - on Manchester United opting-out of the FA Cup to play in the World Club Championship.

"I can't even spell spaghetti never mind talk Italian. How could I tell an Italian to get the ball - he might grab mine" - on the influx of foreign players.

"I bet their dressing room will smell of garlic rather than liniment over the next few months" - on the number of French players at Arsenal.

"I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one" - looking back on his managerial career.

On Eric Cantona's infamous kung fu kick at a fan: "I'd have cut his balls off."

"If he'd been English or Swedish, he'd have walked the England job" - on Martin O'Neill.

"I only ever hit Roy the once. He got up so I couldn't have hit him very hard" - on dealing with Roy Keane.

"Walk on water? I know most people out there will be saying that instead of walking on it, I should have taken more of it with my drinks. They are absolutely right" - a typically candid reflection on his drink problem.

"Players lose you games, not tactics. There's so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes" England's exit from Euro 2000, explained the Cloughie way.

"We talk about it for twenty minutes and then we decide I was right" - on dealing with a player who disagrees.

"I'm sure the England selectors thought if they took me on and gave me the job, I'd want to run the show. They were shrewd, because that's exactly what I would have done" - on not getting the England manager's job.

Guessing who nominated him for a knighthood: "I thought it was my next door neighbour, because I think she felt that if I got something like that, I'd have to move."

"For all his horses, knighthoods and championships, he hasn't got two of what I've got. And I don't mean balls!" Referring to Sir Alex Ferguson's failure to win two successive European Cups.

Brian wasn't a fan of the women's game: "I like my women to be feminine, not sliding into tackles and covered in mud."

After a life-saving operation, Clough gets sentimental: "Don't send me flowers when I'm dead. If you like me, send them while I'm alive."

"I want no epitaphs of profound history and all that type of thing. I contributed - I would hope they would say that, and I would hope somebody liked me" - on how he would like to be remembered.

Postby jodyqq on Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:44 am

The greatest achievement in british footie- league and 2 euro cups in 2 years with a small provinvial club

Liked his line about drink
` I only drank when celebrating, its just I had more to celebrate than most`
8) :)

r.i.p. to one of the greatest, one of the last of the old bunch.
jodyqq

Postby tomfoolery's dad on Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:46 am

Top quotes and very well presented, Guesty.
The best way to waste time is to fill it. If you can read this, congratulations on your Légion d'Honneur.Image
tomfoolery's dad
Lorne Sausage
Lorne Sausage

Postby retlivdead on Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:28 pm

Some of my favourites.....

When Martin O'Neil asked the great man why he had been dropped into the reserves... Cloughie simply replied "Because you're too good for the third team!"

When Stuart Pearce was called up to the England squad for the first time and Clough asked if he felt he was ready for it, Pearce explained that he did feel he was ready and Cloughie replied "I don't"

Bobby Gould gets his first job in management and rings up Cloughie and asks "Brian do you have any advice for me?" to which he replied "Yes always call me Mr. Clough" and put the phone down!!!

When a newly signed player at Forest had a bad game and Clough asks if he has found a house to buy yet. The player replies "Not yet boss" Clough responds with "Don't bother" and sells him within the month!!!!

True legend and now if Forest don't do something better than half heartedly name a stand after him then it will be a total and utter disgrace. They should have named the whole ground after him in 1980!!!!!
retlivdead
andouillette
andouillette

Postby Guest on Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:52 pm

bit of a cunt clough really. bungs, back handers. dirty deals. most of his quotes/quips are insensitive put downs. always someone on the recieving end. punching fans. then kissing them afterwards. what a cantankerous wanker. of course you didn't get the engerland job clough... who in their right mind..... still.. I admired and liked him RIP

Postby retlivdead on Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:59 pm

Anonymous wrote:bit of a cunt clough really. bungs, back handers. dirty deals. most of his quotes/quips are insensitive put downs. always someone on the recieving end. punching fans. then kissing them afterwards. what a cantankerous wanker. of course you didn't get the engerland job clough... who in their right mind..... still.. I admired and liked him RIP

Cloughie would have probably loved this!!!
retlivdead
andouillette
andouillette

Postby shaun on Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:12 pm

that green umbro sweatshirt,lamping his own fans,"young man".a genuinly unique man and incredible manager.we wont see another like him.its only when you think of men like cloughie you see how much football has changed for the worse.

RIP 'ol big head
i put my arm around her waist,she put me on the ground with judo.
shaun
andouillette
andouillette

PreviousNext

Return to Message Board