As Edwin Starr said,
'Bigotry What is it Good For?
Absolutely Nothing!'
Unafraid to cry over spilt milk
Slobenia
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Guest on Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:45 pm

if only there must be a way of weeding out rangers fans and eliminating this terrible bigotry. :D

Postby Guest on Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:49 pm

but brendan. if football bigotry is boring. why did you go and have to start another bleedin fred on it? :lol:

Postby brendan o'h on Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:10 pm

Anonymous wrote:but brendan. if football bigotry is boring. why did you go and have to start another bleedin fred on it? :lol:

tut tut....starting a sentence with a conjunction :(
it wasn't really meant to be a thread....just a poll to see if i was on my own or not with regards finding it boring...sorry if i added to the hatred :cry:
brendan o'h

Postby Paul Quinn on Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:24 pm

Hi there Brendonia, lovely to hear from you. I couldn't agree more with you on this front. I, as you know, am a football geek and a Celtic one at that, never hidden my football preferences, but I have to say all this is getting a bit much. Sure Celtic fans can have a humourous dig at there rivals and vice versa. When it starts becoming a bit personal it loses it's humour.

Lets have no more bigotted spats here, after all it is a music site.

:oops: just fell off the old soap box there

ta ta for now
Paul Quinn
chipolata
chipolata

Postby brendan o'h on Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:31 pm

Paul Quinn wrote:Hi there Brendonia, lovely to hear from you. I couldn't agree more with you on this front. I, as you know, am a football geek and a Celtic one at that, never hidden my football preferences, but I have to say all this is getting a bit much. Sure Celtic fans can have a humourous dig at there rivals and vice versa. When it starts becoming a bit personal it loses it's humour.

Lets have no more bigotted spats here, after all it is a music site.

:oops: just fell off the old soap box there

ta ta for now

***jumps on vacant soap-box***

exactly mr. quinn - these knob-wranglers are making it hard for those genuinely interested in "the beautiful game" to talk about it!

***sidesteps off soap-box incase anyone is trying to get an "upskirt" picture of me to post on this site***
brendan o'h

Postby tomtom on Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:21 pm

its boring when its based on bigotry. that said intense rivalry and banter is all part of the craic. Monday at work in north london after a spurs v arsenal game was allways a good craic well a few decades ago it was :cry:
as for the auld firm rivalry ya the bigotry is beyond boring but rivalry per say is fine. Doug was the first HUN i've had the plasure to know well and it was a pleasant surprise to discover that he washed regularly and even had an indoor loo. :D seriously the banter has added to my enjoyemnt of celtic rangers games.
so NO to bigotry.
and YES to rivalry.
Last edited by tomtom on Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" SUCKIN' DIESEL, SUCKIN' DIESEL "
tomtom
Lorne Sausage
Lorne Sausage

Postby brendan o'h on Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:28 pm

tomtom wrote:its boring when its based on bigotry. that said intense rivalry and banter is all part of the craic. Monday at work in north london after a spurs v arsenal game was allways a good craic well a few decades ago it was :cry:
as for the auld firm rivalry ya the bigotry is beyond boring but rivalry per say is fine. Doug was the first HUN i've had the plasure to know well and it was a pleasant surprise to discover that he washed regularly and ecen had an indoor loo. :D seriously the banter has added to my enjoyemnt of celtic rangers games.
so NO to bigotry.
and YES to rivalry.

another fine point!

my faith in humankind is slowly being restored:)
brendan o'h

Postby Guest on Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:19 pm

what team do you support brendan?

Postby Anorak on Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:32 am

I'm a shandy drinking southerner, and was in a pub in Paisley years ago.
a couple of Neds asked me if I supported Celtic or Rangers :shock:

Yeah, I legged it pronto !!!!

However what should I have said in Paisley ?
I am angry I am ill, and I'm as ugly as sin.......
my irritability keeps me alive - I'm kicking
Anorak
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Guest on Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:47 am

Anorak wrote:I'm a shandy drinking southerner, and was in a pub in Paisley years ago.
a couple of Neds asked me if I supported Celtic or Rangers :shock:

Yeah, I legged it pronto !!!!

However what should I have said in Paisley ?

st mirren

Postby Guest on Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:56 am

It goes without saying that bigotry is bad and boring, but I have to say that I can't recall seeing any real bigotry on this messageboard.....i mean REAL bigotry. I dont' read every post here, so I could be wrong.

I mean, celtic fans slagging Alex McLeish or Rangers fans laughing at Celtic losing in the champions league isn't bigotted.

I think what you're getting at Brendan is that the incessant tit for tat posts from both sides here is getting boring?....I agree with that.

Postby brendan o'h on Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:12 pm

Anonymous wrote:what team do you support brendan?

i was brought up a celtic fan but, honestly, have no preference now.
i like to watch a good game of football every now and then...doesn't matter who's playing as long as it's entertaining...mainly just the bigger tournaments, although i don't watch them religiously (can you see what i've done there? how clever of me :cry: )
brendan o'h

Postby stuart r on Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Its the smug, self importance of supporters of old firm clubs that I find tedious, like they are the be all and end all of Scottish football. I follow the Scottish game from a distance (Birmingham) and I'm far more interested in the success of Inverness (pity about the stadium thing) or the goings on at Hearts or Aberdeen's improvement and return of their sheepish fans. Celtic and Rangers don't interest me anymore......I detested Rangers in the Souness years but I'm beginning have the same loathing towards Celtic. Maybe I dont like success or maybe I don't like big heads and show offs.

Toodlepip
stuart r

Postby burned on Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:13 pm

I agree with that. Yeah, there's more than an element of bigotry about the Old Firm, but that doesn't mean that all exchanges between supporters (however vitriloic in nature) are necessarily bigoted and I can't say I've seen any of the posts on this site go down the bigotry road...boring and all as they may be!! :)
burned
chipolata
chipolata

PreviousNext

Return to Message Board