Registered users only?

Given the increasing frequency of spamming Guest attacks, should the message board be moved to registered users only?

Yes, I've had enough of Guests
36%
Yes, but just because of the spam
17%
No
47%

Total votes : 36

Registered users only?

Postby tomfoolery's dad on Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:35 pm

I for one find most Guests quite amusing. The cloak of anonimity does give them more scope for mischief-making and keeping regulars in line.

However, there are some guests apparently dead set on ruining the board.

Note that some of our guests include Monorail Music, Mr Vulture, Transy Grove etc...
The best way to waste time is to fill it. If you can read this, congratulations on your Légion d'Honneur.Image
tomfoolery's dad
Lorne Sausage
Lorne Sausage

Postby Guest on Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:38 pm

being a guest is a great way to fuck you guys off and i don't have to use my registered name to do so.

Postby Guest on Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:41 pm

yeah but we all know your name..dont we dot?

Postby siobhan's dad on Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:41 pm

I've voted "No" on principle, but the wee nyaff posting all this shite lately should have his IP blocked or something.
If this were the Seine, we'd be very suave;
But it's just the rain, washing down the boulevard.
siobhan's dad
kielbasa
kielbasa

Postby tomfoolery's dad on Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:42 pm

siobhan's dad wrote:I've voted "No" on principle, but the wee nyaff posting all this shite lately should have his IP blocked or something.

Anarchist!
The best way to waste time is to fill it. If you can read this, congratulations on your Légion d'Honneur.Image
tomfoolery's dad
Lorne Sausage
Lorne Sausage

Postby Guest on Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:43 pm

the current 'guest' spam posts are, basically, an attempt to force this board to be 'registered only'.

some people, who have nothing to do with teenage fanclub, are trying to dictate how we do things.

never!

8)

Postby siobhan's dad on Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:45 pm

tomfoolery's dad wrote:
siobhan's dad wrote:I've voted "No" on principle, but the wee nyaff posting all this shite lately should have his IP blocked or something.

Anarchist!

Fuck, I shouldnae have voted should I? Anyway, the "spam" postings lately have been so fucking boring. I was driven to vote.
siobhan's dad
kielbasa
kielbasa

Postby siobhan's dad on Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:46 pm

Anonymous wrote:the current 'guest' spam posts are, basically, an attempt to force this board to be 'registered only'.

some people, who have nothing to do with teenage fanclub, are trying to dictate how we do things.

never!

8)

I was thinking along these lines too actually.
siobhan's dad
kielbasa
kielbasa

Postby Namni Nytram on Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:50 pm

guests, for the most part, are a good bunch, and make up the majority of the users round here.

and apart from those you mentioned, people like duglas and tomtom often post logged out, whether out of laziness or not being able to log in at certain computers i don't know. when i was in the lab i used to post as a guest myself. banning guests would take something cool away from the board.

as i've said before, i'd place a limit on the frequency unregistered users can post - once every two or three minutes, maybe - so that it'd take an hour or two to fill the front page of the forum with crap, and anyone online could bump 'proper' topics up faster than the spammer could knock them down. hopefully our civil guests would understand the reason for this, and our spammer(s) will find something better to do with their time, such as having a life. is this possible, norman?
"between here and that old car it's 25 paces. make them"

http://www.thisisnottv.co.uk
Namni Nytram
andouillette
andouillette

Postby tomfoolery's dad on Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:52 pm

siobhan's dad wrote:
Anonymous wrote:the current 'guest' spam posts are, basically, an attempt to force this board to be 'registered only'.

never!

8)

I was thinking along these lines too actually.

Same here. Not wanting to implicate anyone tho!
tomfoolery's dad
Lorne Sausage
Lorne Sausage

Postby tomfoolery's dad on Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:56 pm

Namni Nytram wrote:as i've said before, i'd place a limit on the frequency unregistered users can post - once every two or three minutes

A cool feature would be the ability for Registered users to "vote" and block certain Guests' IP addresses. I'm sure no such feature exists in PHP, but it would be nice.

Obviously this would be a short-term solution as a new IP can be issued simply.

Enough science fiction...
tomfoolery's dad
Lorne Sausage
Lorne Sausage

Postby siobhan's dad on Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:57 pm

tomfoolery's dad wrote:
Namni Nytram wrote:as i've said before, i'd place a limit on the frequency unregistered users can post - once every two or three minutes

A cool feature would be the ability for Registered users to "vote" and block certain Guests' IP addresses. I'm sure no such feature exists in PHP, but it would be nice.

Obviously this would be a short-term solution as a new IP can be issued simply.

Enough science fiction...

Bit like 'killfiling' on usenet.
siobhan's dad
kielbasa
kielbasa

Postby Ponybot on Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:59 pm

never!

8)

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=tbn ... ate_bg.jpg

The board wouldn't be the same without guests :(

but this is shit
Ponybot

Postby Ponyboy on Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:01 pm

Sorry, that was me being a guest...

I agree it's someone trying to dictate the way our board is run.
Stay Gold
Ponyboy
mortadella
mortadella

Postby chocolate creme on Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:04 pm

Before I assumed my cyber identity on this here message board, I did enjoy posting as a guest, but not on a scale as massive or as childish as this. I do agree that guests should still be allowed to post as it can enliven an argument or debate, plus it can be amusing at times.

I hate to give in to their evil, but it does make you want to give up on the board....

...but I won't. On principle!
The last time we saw you, you looked so much older, your famous blue raincoat was torn at the shoulder...
chocolate creme
andouillette
andouillette

Next

Return to Message Board