Relevant or Rubbish

Relevant
39%
Rubbish
61%

Total votes : 18

Postby Andy C on Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:09 pm

our modern worship of celebrity is a strange and shitty thing

the job of a critic is to be entertaining about why s/he likes or dislikes what s/he does
Andy C

Postby tomtom on Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:17 pm

i dont know what i like
but i know art
" SUCKIN' DIESEL, SUCKIN' DIESEL "
tomtom
Lorne Sausage
Lorne Sausage

Postby pinball on Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:20 pm

well i prefer facts to opinions. unfortunately i cannot influence the facts but i can always form my own opinions about them.

that's not to say i don't read them - objectivity is only a concept where humanity with all its fundamental flaws is involved. but i feel i can discern between the two, which i think is important.
"What's this?"
"What's what?"
"No. Who's who. But you were close"
pinball
"tom is a sex god" - Beyonce Knowles

Postby Ahmet Kirac on Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:24 pm

yes yes yes pinball man that is what i think too but i dont know how to say it yyet in the english language.

i love you for that pinball. i will write to maria now and tell her this.
Ahmet Kirac
chipolata
chipolata

Postby gaye blade on Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:39 pm

Nice to see Doug almost completely admit being wrong for the first time ever. Well done Doug.
None of us owns anything in this world. It's all lent to us to use and enjoy while we're here and will be taken away from us when we die. For that reason and many others too, I always please myself. That's why it's irrelevant to me that Doug hates Coldplay, Starsailor or Cosmic Rough Riders. I don't like Starsailor either but if I did, I'd let you know proudly. It's always fun to read the critics reviews of albums by our favourite artists when they're released. It give us a chance to disagree. For the record, I think The Frog Chorus is a wonderful, beautifully arranged piece of music with a stunningly good melody and the cartoon is great too.

GBUK
gaye blade
chipolata
chipolata

Postby gaye blade on Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:42 pm

I forgot to say, McCartney is a GOD.

Beatle Blade!
gaye blade
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Georgia on Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:25 pm

Anonymous wrote: There won't be a dry eye in the house.

This was my one and only experience seeing him in '89 (I think it was '89, anyway). I cried like a baby when he came on stage. The whole place went nuts and he just stood there and waved for about 5 minutes before the crowd settled down. It was magic.

...However, having seen him once, I probably wouldn't go back for a couple reasons. 1) I'm more or less done with arena shows. Too big and I don't enjoy them very much, unless I'm in the front 10 rows or so. 2) The ticket price was too high for me, considering the lousy seat I'd probably have scored. I thought I'd enjoy myself more by taking that $200 and going to 20 $10 club shows, rather than blowing it all on one night. I didn't regret missing him the last time he was here.

Still, I wouldn't trade that '89 show for anything. I'd say, see him at least once, if you can afford to do it.
Georgia
mortadella
mortadella

Postby dougbrown93 on Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:04 pm

gaye blade wrote:Nice to see Doug almost completely admit being wrong for the first time ever. Well done Doug.
GBUK

Who rattled your cage gb?
You might be poking fun but if you knew anything about me youll know i will admit if i believe i am wrong after debate.
Maybe you think i should listen to others and not have an opinion?

Anyway, havent you left yet? :lol:
Hey Kids You Better Shape Up
Cos The Hits Are Always Gonna Hurt
dougbrown93
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby gaye blade on Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:05 am

Doug, I was in fact poking some fun at you. I know you always backtrack when you are wrong. Oh and I haven't left, I'm just not talking to idiot guests. You're still on my list of decent people on the board.

GBUK.
gaye blade
chipolata
chipolata

Postby tomtom on Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:10 am

ah friends again. i feel better.
" SUCKIN' DIESEL, SUCKIN' DIESEL "
tomtom
Lorne Sausage
Lorne Sausage

Postby tfc on Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:23 am

mccartney live doesnt get me excited although i am a big beatles fan.
was watching a copy of the let it be film tonight and its clear how much he kept the beatles afloat at that time,for me its a similar thing to page
and plant touring and doing zeppelin songs it just doesnt get me excited.
i would quite fancy the idea of seeing ringo starr due to the fact that he
usually has a cracking backing band (joe walsh/todd etc...)
Jim Dandy to the rescue.
tfc
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby dougbrown93 on Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:30 am

gaye blade wrote:Doug, I was in fact poking some fun at you. I know you always backtrack when you are wrong. Oh and I haven't left, I'm just not talking to idiot guests. You're still on my list of decent people on the board.

GBUK.

ahhh i love you too gb....but not in that way.
Ive been feeling a bit sensitive and unloved of late ;-(
Looking at the pics again tonight cheered me up.

My posts are always put up to get people talking about stuff...good or bad.
Goes back to my point (which i stole from pinball waaaayyy back) that the board is what you make it.

Keep on keeping on
Hey Kids You Better Shape Up
Cos The Hits Are Always Gonna Hurt
dougbrown93
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby duglas on Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:55 am

I think this has been a pretty good discussion so far. Okay I admit that art can't cure cancer but I'm not sure that means it's not important. It is hard to quantify in an absolute what art is better than other art, it is subjective. BUT art can enrich our lives and make it feel worth being here for. It can help cure you (like Pet Sounds has done for me several times or laughing at a Morcambe & Wise Christmas special helped me get through one of my darkest ever times), it can also educate us about how other people think, live and love and change our attitudes and make us more tolerant (or sometimes manipulate us in negative ways)...To Kill A Mockingbird helped reinforce things I already believed in and helped me to articulate these views, Cathy Come Home made people more aware of homelessness and take positive action, The Beatles certainly made people more aware of the PEACE movement.
Okay art can't cure cancer but who knows maybe when someone, hopefully, does cure cancer or AIDS it might because they were inspired by some piece of art that moved them enough to care enough to try and make the world a better place. I think art can be important whether it inspire someone to do something big, brings people together, helps us understand each other or just makes you smile and laugh when you felt your whole world was falling down. :)
DUGLAS
duglas
currywurst
currywurst

Postby pinball on Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:14 am

Which is why you are an artist and I gave it up to study Law. And I'm not trying to devalue what you do.

Different strokes and all that, but I respect you views, it HAS enriched my life and I hope it does inspire someone to do the things you talk about.

I'm just watching some family friends go thru some really bad stuff which is what had the C word in my head. Didn't mean to be dogmatic.

I have friends who are doctors and friends who are actors and I know one guy who is both, and I know which ones I think are more valuable to society.
"What's this?"
"What's what?"
"No. Who's who. But you were close"
pinball

Postby Andy C on Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:41 am

sorry to hear your news there. of course, when serious misfortune strikes, you need the doctor, or the scientist, or the lawyer.

we also need the artists, but it's a different need.

hope your friend is not in pain
Andy C

PreviousNext

Return to Message Board