Relevant or Rubbish

Relevant
39%
Rubbish
61%

Total votes : 18

McCartney: Relevant or Rubbish?

Postby dougbrown93 on Mon Mar 03, 2003 3:13 pm

Seen the details that Macca is playing some rare UK dates in April which are selling out like wooden legs on a one legged island (sorry!).
Thing is though, is this the same kind of event as say Brian Wilsons last tour?
Alright McCartney has written some of the best songs we have heard (Blackbird being my fave) but is he as relevant on his own? My opinion of him after the Beatles is he had some good songs (Jet, band on the run, etc) but nothing of the caliber of his Beatles efforts (i would also say the same of Lennon ..but not of George whos All Things Must Pass is Godlike)
My perception of him is of someones embarrasing dad dancing at a party and not something i would pay to see.

Ultimately would it justify £80 a ticket? I payed that for The Rolling Stones upcoming tour so it may just be a matter of opinion.
Just interested knowing most of us here like the Beatles.
Hey Kids You Better Shape Up
Cos The Hits Are Always Gonna Hurt
dougbrown93
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Narodnaia Volia on Mon Mar 03, 2003 3:20 pm

I usued to like Paul, but i think that nowadays he is just doing music to keep himself known... actually i believe that he's doing everything to stay in the scene.
Obviously we was one of the best pop song writer, but those days are gone, i'm afraid...
Maui Image
Narodnaia Volia
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby pinball on Mon Mar 03, 2003 3:25 pm

and irish dates too.....

three words: the frog chorus.

i rest my case.
"What's this?"
"What's what?"
"No. Who's who. But you were close"
pinball
"tom is a sex god" - Beyonce Knowles

Postby weeeddiemcludgie on Mon Mar 03, 2003 3:34 pm

pipes of peace

bag o shite
weeeddiemcludgie
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby siobhan's dad on Mon Mar 03, 2003 3:35 pm

I worked at the same place as a guy who sang in the choir on the Frog Chorus recording (was it the London Oratory School Choir or something like that? He was a posh bloke anyway). He was embarassed when it came up in conversation, so I wonder what Macca thinks about it. Reckon he'll play it on the tour?
siobhan's dad
kielbasa
kielbasa

Postby Guest on Mon Mar 03, 2003 3:39 pm

I like the frog chorus. You have to take it for what it's meant to be. A song for children. It would be great just to be able to say you saw Macca and just think about being able to hear the man himself sing all his old Beatles songs. There won't be a dry eye in the house. It'll be much the same as the Brian Wilson concert. Grown men and Pop stars will be gushing tears into a wishing well where all their dreams come true.
Try to see it my way, as the great man once said. Only time will tell if you are right or you are wrong to go to this must see gig. It might never happen again by which time it'll be too late.

Postby First Paul on Mon Mar 03, 2003 3:45 pm

Sorry Doug but i'm not gonna cast a vote over this one, reason being is yes in some respects I think macca is relevant, but I certainly would not pay the vastly overpriced ticket, £80 you can't Justify that whatever the excuses are.

I also agree Macca has penned some sublime tunes, Maybe i'm amazed being my favourite, but nothing comes close to GH's All things must pass and yet if he was alive I wouldn't pay 80 nicker to see him, so no way would i for Macca.

As for the music.. Macartney/beatles still sells shitloads and inspires people everywhere...so thats why Macca is relevant.

RELEVANT: MUSIC
RUBBISH: STICK YOUR 80 QUID TICKET UP YOUR ARSE!
First Paul
mortadella
mortadella

MACCA

Postby duglas on Mon Mar 03, 2003 4:30 pm

I'm sorry everyone has a right to their opinion but we are talking about one of the creators of a whole new form. Even if his "thumbs up/I'm just an ordinary guy" shtick does rub you up the wrong way, he was a revolutionary of music and popular culture. He and his fellow Beatles really did change the world and music for ever. I happen to think he's made quite a few really great post Beatles tunes but even if he hadn't he had already given us so much. I don't like Picasso's very late paintings so much but it would be daft to call him irrelevant.
ALSO I think the Frog Chorus is pretty great, it's all context, if it had been on the White Album or been a Syd track on Pipers at the Gates of Dawn, I think it would be hailed as a psychedelic masterpiece. Any way, as my mum always says "It would be a boring world if we all thought the same way".
£80 is lot of money though.
DUGLAS
duglas
currywurst
currywurst

Postby pinball on Mon Mar 03, 2003 4:40 pm

so we're not all going to "stand together" on this one.
"What's this?"
"What's what?"
pinball

Postby weeeddiemcludgie on Mon Mar 03, 2003 4:45 pm

i voted for im - good ol' macca.
weeeddiemcludgie
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby toothbrush on Mon Mar 03, 2003 4:47 pm

Having vote Coming Up my song for today I had to say relevant. I think some of his post- Beatles stuff isn't that good but he's still better than most and better than what nearly all his contemporaries from the 60s are doing now. Good point about The Frog Chorus, I also sorta liked it and the Rupert cartoon that went with it. I don't have £80, so I couldn't afford it.
Mr. Toothbrush
toothbrush
hot dog
hot dog

Postby dougbrown93 on Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:21 pm

Fair dues to both FP and DTS.
Maybe the relevant rubbish is the wrong question. Maybe it should be pay £80 or not.

Also, and again its just opinion, i would come back on Duglas' point [email protected] Macca creating a new form etc. Im all for that and he should be revered for that. I LOVE the Beatles dearly.
However, this fact is not a carte blanche to have everything you do to be universally acclaimed. And while his "embarrasing dad" style doesnt sit with me doesnt mean to say he is irrelevant...so i stand corrected...partially! ;-)

Caught an interesting program on Bowies millions on BBC 3 at the weekend which suggested he (and Macca respectively) make a fortune and are critically acclaimed for their artwork and other spin off projects whose importance (and ultimate value) are inflated simply by the fact that they are famous. Serious art critics say theyre stuff is pants and not fit to be displayed on a classroom wall.

Finally The Frog Chorus....yes it actually was good in the context of when and how it was done...i agree.
However....there is NO excusing Give My Regards to whatever it was....utter gash!

L8rs
dougbrown93
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby pinball on Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:32 pm

"serious" art critics should fuck up, though. what makes their opinion on the work any more valuable than yours on mine? i'll tell you what - nada.

i love art/design/architecture but what pisses me off is these folks who differentiate between "high" and "low" art and presume because they know more of the details of the how/where/when around the piece that their view is somehow more important.

art for all! take it back off them! the beatles are "important" as bruegel, the pizzicato 5 are as "important" as picasso because none of it is "important" at all. "art" is what seperates us from the rest of the animals but it doesn't cure cancer.
"What's this?"
"What's what?"
pinball

Postby dougbrown93 on Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:37 pm

yeah pinball I AGREE
BUT
is Bowies art better than mine?
lets assume i do paint..(i dont...only fekin bedroom walls!)
whose work would the art world (maybe that should actually read the media) take more seriously. Mine or Bowies?
Even fekin Ryan Adams and Marilyn Manson have artwork. This really is off topic now but i just question the fact that cos a person has done a thing good once doesnt mean everything they do is good.
dougbrown93
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby pinball on Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:44 pm

s'pose what i'm sayin' is, if you like it, what does it matter?

just pisses me off that critics can inflate the value of art, but yes, even if the critics pan bowie's stuff, it'll still sell for more than most living painters. maybe it's not right but that's where art meets the harsh supply and demand world of commerce.
"What's this?"
"What's what?"
pinball

Next

Return to Message Board